Let's Talk About Sandburg

What decks have you faced with it and what did you play? Because over the weekend I’ve faced an RP with Architechts, Crick and Enigma as central ICE and Vanilla, Quandary, Guard on remotes. Sundews, Commercial Bankers, 3x Sandburg. If you’re on Employee Strike Whizz, this is simple enough, but I was on Geist with Plop (never had 2 down though, that was probably a mistake) and couldn’t keep up.

Whizzard is the only playable Netrunner ID. If you’re losing to assets and not running Whiz then it’s your own fault. If you’re not Whiz, you’re cutting corners.

5 Likes

There has to be a German word for something that’s funny, true, and saddening all at once.

8 Likes

Ancient Greeks got you covered, sardonic is what you are looking for.

7 Likes

If you want to be super grim about the state of netrunner, take everything talked about in the slack chat and on stimhack.com seriously. Grim, but not accurate.

4 Likes

Come back to the light side,there is still hope

1 Like

So much cynicism in the outward-facing community these days!

1 Like

I’ve found best success using expensive-to-break ETR ice, and especially ETR that punishes facecheck. This list is: Rototurret, Wall of Thorns, Heimdall, Tollbooth, and the Grail suite.

Both Rototurret and the Grail ICE in particular are standouts. Strength 5 Rototurret is a nasty piece of ICE.

I do sort of agree with BigBoy in that it’s a card that punishes poor Runner play. I don’t agree you need Whizzard (though he’s strong, obviously), but Whizzard has an easy time against HB, which is where you’ll see this card most often.

I’m using it out of Palana and using an Operation economy (and Melange. If I’m going to make a second server for Sandburg, I want something for that server to be doing while waiting for Sandburg, and also it feeds into Sandburg, so win-win.) BattyGrail is already a thing and when the Grail gets extra strength, it can be monstrous.

It’s not my fault people continue to play Asset-based decks despite Whiz being the best ID in the game for months. If you ever want him to not be the best, try playing a different strategy for once…

1 Like

I’m going to play asset based economy in spite of Whiz. I played against one today with Sandburg Grail HB. Managed to protect 3 remotes, it felt like a normal game. Until I realized I had 3 remotes with Galahad on them, making the rest of my grail way less useful. I play a lot of decks in spite of Whizzard still. No one to blame but myself. Damn those 3 credits a turn. I mean, that is basically a free turn worth of credits

1 Like

Kate is like Whizzard for people who can manage their money. :stuck_out_tongue:

j/k

/s

Just needed to throw out a sign that Shaper is super fine right now

3 Likes

#partoftheproblem

So to avoid being part of the problem… run Weyland, HB or Palana operation economy?

Palana can do it pretty well I think.

No freaking idea where to go with a Sandburg based build though. Especially since Jinteki is getting the boots pretty hard once Rumor Mill drops.

I played against a Sandburg Palana with 3 indian union stock exchanges and 0 Jinteki cards. Notable includes: Subliminal messaging, 3 corporate sales teams. It was hilarious. Tempted to try it myself.

6 Likes

I played against that deck as well. I was on Apoc Kate, landed first Apoc by surprise, got some points before he rebuilt, then he started setting up econ and Sandburg, so I went for heavy econ as well. 2nd Apoc (right when he attempted to score) took 30 credits to land despite using efficient Shaper breakers, but was definitely worth it as I found needed points in Archives. Palana ended the game with 0 cards on the table but 80 credits in the bank :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been doing a similar thing out of Weyland BaBW. The advantage of doing it out of BaBW instead of Palana is that you don’t have to pay influence for Indian Union Stock Exchange and there aren’t any cards in faction that you’d want to play anyway. The games are humorous.

2 Likes

Lmao 0 jinteki. Was it Grail?

I gotta give this a try. List?

I don’t remember the list. I figure trying a bunch of neutral cards is a great place to start. I think the most expensive ICE I saw was a cobra. Didn’t see any grail.

But there’s nothing like rezzing a Sandburg and instantly gaining 3 more credits.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

3 Likes