Let's talk Whizzard

Why not Frame Job? It’s in faction, and bad pub can easily pay off more than the 7c from Data Dealer.

I totally forgot about that AND that’s what happens when you have cards people don’t really play.

Also probably only good once since my deck was doing peddlers so it wouldn’t like new events. But it’s an idea.

I don’t see a reason to tech against news team personally. Have a list of your whizz to see what you’re running?

To be fair, I think we’ll see a lot of News Team. And if you can sell a Breaking News to fund the run you need to go trash a San San so Corp doesn’t win next turn, that’s OK too. But people still won’t play Data Dealer.

1 Like

splash in 3x fan site just in case. Its like a ghetto stimhack that doesn’t fuck up your brain…its really not the worst card you can put in a deck.

2 Likes

I’m actually using Kim so it fudges with my card count.

L4J4Cheap - 1st Place GLG Anarch/Jinteki

Edward Kim: Humanity’s Hammer

Event (6)
3x I’ve Had Worse
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
2x Grimoire
1x Plascrete Carapace

Resource (16)
3x Daily Casts
1x Data Dealer ••
1x Film Critic •
2x Kati Jones
2x Liberated Account
2x Scrubber
3x Street Peddler
2x Symmetrical Visage

Icebreaker (6)
1x Atman •••
2x Corroder
2x Mimic
1x Yog.0

Program (11)
2x D4v1d
3x Datasucker
2x Medium
3x Parasite
1x Self-modifying Code •••

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Old Hollywood

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

So Whizzard made it to second place at Worlds. According to @Jai the influence was:

2 Clone Chip
2 Career Fair
1 Test Run
1 Atman
1 Femme

Is the last 2 inf Net-Ready Eyes? If not, has the time of Lotus Field simply ended? I’d have thought that NRE would still be awesome for Mimic/Yog, even if Lotus is not commonly played.

From speaking with @Sirris I believe it was 3 clone chip. He had indicated to me that @tmoiynmwg had abstained from including datasucker in his build, instead relying on parasite to reduce strength for atman purposes. I neglected to ask Timmy as it won’t be long before the deck list is posted to acoo so this may be inaccurate.

I think it must be reiterated that Timmy’s brilliance in play and deck design is legendary at this point - it simply cannot be praised enough.

5 Likes

So neither NRE nor suckers! Was he using anarch breakers at all? Now I really need to see that list.

2 Likes

As do we all, man. As do we all. We do know he was running the full anarch suite, though. I’m certain of seeing Corroder and Mimic in the final game, and I’m fairly sure Yog was involved as well.

If it is really a 3 CC/0 NRE influence spread, that just only puts me more in awe of Timmy’s deckbuilding skill. Consider that he’s already proven that he’s not afraid to cut the Two Sacred Cows Of Anarch Deck Construction (namely Datasuckers and the Wyldcakes/Faust engine), having the guts to play BOTH Mimic and Yog without any way of boosting or lowering strength outside of manual Parasites… I don’t think I could have done that, not ever.

That being said, taking a step back, the 0 NRE setup does make sense in an Archerless meta. D4v1d deals with any huge ice and Yog and Mimic clean up the riffraff, with 4tman holding the middle ground. The question is: how consistently can you get out that Atman in a field so congested with Elis and Ichis? You only have the one Test Run, which you really really don’t want to burn on Atman, and Lotus Field craps all over the rest of your breaker suite. I guess we plebs who didn’t make it to 2 Worlds top 3s in a row will never know… :sweat_smile:

Whizzard’s ability is a great call against the plague of ETFood and Team Turtle NEH in the meta right now, IMO. I estimate that Timmy trashed about 18 credits’ worth of Campaigns and Ashes over the course of that last game, which is not an insignificant number. Although I find myself wondering if this midrange, L4J-style Anarch build can be imported into other IDs. (Here’s looking at you, Quetzal.)

My Whizzard performed very well at Worlds, going 6-2 against top competition throughout the day. I finished on the bubble at 11-5 because Fastro went 5-3. Ended in 25th place overall. The Whizz I played had no problems with FoodCoats, going 4-0 against it. Lost to Lucas Li’s NEH in a tight game and to Chris Hinke’s IG where I thought i was in control after 5+ siphons (he neural’d and missed the IHW for the awesome hail mary kill).

Here’s the deck:

Overweight Date - 25th at Worlds - 6-2

Whizzard: Master Gamer

Event (19)
2x Account Siphon ••••• •••
1x Amped Up
2x Day Job
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Déjà Vu
3x I’ve Had Worse
2x Inject
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (4)
1x Archives Interface
2x Desperado ••••• •
1x Plascrete Carapace

Resource (6)
2x John Masanori
3x Same Old Thing
1x Utopia Shard •

Icebreaker (7)
2x Corroder
3x Knight
2x Mimic

Program (9)
2x D4v1d
2x Datasucker
2x Medium
3x Parasite

45 cards (min 45)

The only thing I would change is take out Archives Interface for a singleton DLR I think. I never installed AI on the day (edit: I did install against IG, but never used it) and a DLR drop late game would have helped me add another layer of annoying pressure on the broke corps.

3 Likes

I think the definitave example of that deck in action has to be Timmy’s nail-biter against David Hoyland in the loser’s finals - as tight fisted as David was with accesses, I think Timmy still got 12 or more credits out of whizzard, allowing him to keep Dave a bit too poor during critical setup time. The point is that his ID did a lot of work for him, and like every other balls-of-steel card choice in his deck (no datasuckers whaaa??) it was an absolutely perfect meta call.

I’ve been considering dropping data suckers in l4j because I rarely find myself installing them in time for them to be useful. Generally when I do use them it will be once to help parasite something faster. That said I would never cut the NRE, ichi and Eli alone are too much to rely on parasite. Props to Timmy for placing whizzard so high, but I think he’s an incredibly strong ID with many viable builds.

totally agree, and it’s not like I’m going to be taking out 'suckers anytime soon; all that I meant to say was that Timmy’s deck gave me the impression of being more of a scalpel that a machete: intended to cut up this very specific meta, but not necessarily the most widely applicable whizzard list ever (especially for those of us not even close to his level of play…)

Here’s the list! I’ll be working on a NRDB writeup too.

The Morning After

Whizzard: Master Gamer (What Lies Ahead)

Event (14)

Hardware (5)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (8)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Imp was for the 24/7 kill matchup that I never saw, though it still did good work at trashing @Cerberus’s Hedge Funds. Cut it for something like +1 D4v1d +1 Stimhack if 24/7 turns out not to be a big thing; I think that would make the HB matchup favorable. Influence is tight as always, but NRE or a second Atman are also worth consideration because HB has so much 4/5-strength ice. No Datasuckers because everyone has CVS and it tends to do nothing against NBN anyway.

It’s a pretty straightforward deck, but let me know if you have any other questions!

24 Likes

What really does it for me here is the 3 inject 3 peddler. It seems like you can get access to what you need super fast. I think 2 stimhack has been long the right call we’ve been missing (d1en had 2 in his list too). Great deck.

4 Likes

Peddler-Inject/Clone/Stim is some good.

As always, we bow down to @tmoiynmwg’s greatness.

1 Like

The 3 Peddler with 14 events seems really ballsy to me, especially with no SOT to back up. How often do you get stuff like the Test Run lost forever on shitty Peddler draws, I wonder?

That being said, I love the 2 stimhack as well. The draw power in this deck is so insane I don’t think you actually miss not having Wyldcakes, to be honest.

1 Like

Pretty often, to be honest! I think you just have to roll with that though, because the way the deck functions fast enough to compete is by having all the burst draw. SOT doesn’t really do anything here, but maybe you could make room for Deja Vu or the third Stimhack.

2 Likes

How did Test Run fare? I didn’t see you using it in any streamed game.

From my experience I usually lose one Stimhack to Peddler, so I started playing 3 with Brain Cage.