Limbhack (A Game of Thrones, 2nd Ed:)

So what are you all testing for SC season. I’m working on a Greyjoy fealty power rush deck. So far it feels strong.

1 Like

Sticking with Night’s Watch/Banner of the Wolf, because I know how to play it and I don’t have time to keep testing decks for Netrunner, Doomtown and this.

I appreciate this is unhelpful.

3 Likes

Got a list? This is my secondary list. Bara fealty is my main. Feels unfair.

Yeah it’s hardcore. Even Stark/Greyjoy with the stealthy sneak attack military plan. For the north!!

Interestingly this military rush idea has an epic good Bara fealty matchup @spags. I used to feel oppressed by it, but with the right tools you can often just kill Mel and Stannis before they can do anything.

I can’t figure out how to get a nice forum export from thronesdb because I’m a scrub, but it’s here.

I take no credit/blame for it, as I stole it wholesale from somewhere I can’t remember (probably Throne Runner on YouTube or somewhere else in the cardgamedb NW thread?) and switched out 2xJon Snow for 2xWill because I was never happy to see Jon Snerrrrr in hand and for a bit more Stealth protection.

Looking at it, I think there could be space for Old Bear - the 3rd Meager Contribution can go, the second Longclaw was on the chopping board before but probably gets a bit better with Will in the deck. I’m not 100% happy with the plot deck either, but we’re back to tinkering time.

Standard “this is NPE bullshit!” stuff. Benjen and Sansa Stark MVPs, defend The Wall, drink opponent’s tears if they don’t know how to counter the fact that you put them on a clock, etc etc. No idea how it’s placed in the current meta, but I enjoy playing it and I’m not looking to tear up multiple Store Championships or anything anyway.

2 Likes

Looks very similar to mine. I’ll have to look for differences.

There are some quality articles being posted at http://whitebookpodcast.com , as well as multi-national player/event finder, link to a Discord chat, and I think a new forum as well. Also, check out http://theironlink.blogspot.com for player-fed in-depth matchup analysis.

2 Likes

How are people getting on with Thrones now?

My SC season calendar ended up pretty full with Netrunner, so in the end I went to a grand total of zero Thrones events. I think I’m going to put a bit of time into it before diving into Regionals prep.

What’s the meta looking like now that the card pool has developed some more? From bits and pieces I’ve seen in various feeds, all I’ve gleaned is that Stark Fealty doesn’t suck any more, Nights Watch have actual aggressive deck options now, Tyrell Knights and Ladies is a thing, and something about Leaping Lions Lanni ambush decks…?

This is an amazing tool: http://agotsetup.com/

I’m coming to terms with the fact that I cannot serve two masters. Getting schooled by decks that have cards from chapter packs I’m completely unprepared to deal with has made me realize that it’s time to face reality and part ways with my AGOT Core Sets.

I stopped buying Netrunner cards, sleeved up my standard Noise and Sync PsychoBiotics for tourney season, and still won the first store champs XD My heart is in another place now, but Stimhack still helps me understand what silver bullets I need to be aware of.

I find Greyjoy (any variety) to be nigh unstoppable in melee, and my Martell Varys cost curve deck still wins a lot more than it loses.

I said this, and then…

So, disillusionment with the meta has caused a lot of the competitive players in our meta to cool on Netrunner a bit. In a surprising (to me) turn of events, some of them might be trying out Thrones, so I might not be selling my cards after all! We’ll see in the next couple of weeks. I might actually start picking up chapter packs.

What are the things current Thrones decks have to be able to do/deal with? Like, in Netrunner, Runner decks have to have answers to ice – and certain commonly-played ones, at that – have some kind of multi-access, and be able to effectively pressure multiple servers. What are the Thrones equivalents? “Be able to deal with Milk of the Poppy”?

Our LCG nights are starting to skew towards Thrones as well. Right now most threats are character based, like Tywin with a Seal, Balon with Boats and Seastone Chair, Dany with dragons, Melisandre and Stannis, so you need answers to their big bombs. Answers include control (kneel, icon stripping, Milk) removal (Tears, Ice, Crown, PttS) or resets (Wildfire, Varys, First Snow). Most decks will want some combination of control and removal with some idea of how to reset the board or deal with a reset.
There are also location based threats like The Wall, Iron Throne/Painted Table, The Arbor. Right now I’m not seeing much location hate except out of Greyjoy.
Events are very strong so Hands Judgement is worth deck slots. Treachery, Dracarys, Seen in Flames, Ours is the Fury, PttS, Tears can all ruin your day. Just like you track whether or not the Corp can rez an Archer, you have to track which important events and ambushes can be played at any given time.
Some form of attachment control is also advisable, and right now strong attachments like Seal or Ice often only stick around one turn before they’re Confiscated.

1 Like

A big thing from the most recent pack is First Snow of Winter. My mental shortcut for this is that it’s akin to making sure your ice suite doesn’t crumble to Parasite.

2 Likes

Some sort of attachment control (via confiscation at least) seems pretty much mandatory, but beyond that it falls into more of the control-aggro axis from mtg where the latter sort of decks doesn’t really need point removal if you’re planning to win before the opponent is set up.

Being a symmetric game means you’re freer to execute your own game plan if you want, because what you’re doing isn’t necessarily dependent on opponents actions and you need less answer cards in my opinion.

2 Likes

Where’s a good forum, or articles if I’m interested in maaaayube getting into this