Limbhack (A Game of Thrones, 2nd Ed:)

I need to try Tyrell next, they do seem strong.

Also, everyone always get Left + Right against me on turn 1. :stuck_out_tongue:

For those wondering, there has been some chatter that general release is going to be end of August. Hopefully this is true :smile:

3 Likes

Just taught a Netrunner pal how to play using the core set decks. We did Targ/Martell (me) vs Stark/Greyjoy. It was way more satisfying than I expected–the suggested core decks are a ton of fun, even if very suboptimal competitively.

Man is it so much better to play with real cards than on OCTGN.

I lost the early game but built up a huge board state, with the Red Viper Menacing. Couldn’t get Doran out from my hand in time to complement the Viper, as the econ is very weak with these decks.

Either way, lots of fun and tons of tough decisions to make. Challenges can become mind-achingly complex.

Edit: Turns out I didn’t lose. Catelyn Stark does not blank Obara Sand’s constant ability of being able to block power challenges. Dang. She’s a tricky one.

4 Likes

I could hug you in a way that seems awkward! :clap:

1 Like

Where did you see the Catelyn Stark ruling? We’ve been having a heck of a time trying to decipher her ability.

I’m in love with Thrones’ Rules Reference Guide. Haven’t had a rules question I haven’t been able to decipher myself yet.

Catelyn’s card text:

“While Catelyn Stark is participating in a challenge, your opponents cannot trigger card abilities.”

Triggered Abilities entry in the Rules Reference Guide (p.22):

“A triggered ability is any ability with a boldface precursor followed by a colon and the rest of the ability. This includes actions, phase specific actions, interrupts, reactions, forced interrupts or reactions, and when revealed abilities.”

Thus, Catelyn does not affect card abilities without the boldface precursor and colon (which appear as paid abilities to us Netrunner folk).

3 Likes

You got it, sir. Gotta be a bolded ability.

More discussion in here. Istaril is an editor on 2.0, so he’s kind of a go-to guy, though he’s not an FFG employee? Not sure how that all works.

1 Like

Seems like the @jakodrako of AGOT2.

So far my targ deckbuilding experience has been:

Fealty: hits maybe 4 cards, also in faction card draw sucks, can’t use plaza because very few dudes are actually good at power challenges

Splashing elsewhere: kinda fixes lacking icons, card draw still sucks

Splashing targ: illyrio, jorah, unsullied, then the rest kinda sucks. (dothraki dork and a dragon I guess?)

They don’t have anything besides characters to splash though, which can be an issue.

Tyrell, Bara and Greyjoy seem to be the big dogs, NW and Lannister not too far behind

Fealty seems bad outside of NW just due to how few loyal cards are in the game. NW can at least play a crow every turn off it, which is a decent draw engine, most other factions can trigger it maybe every other turn, not worth all the deckbuilding restrictions.

1 Like

Do you think a Greyjoy/Tyrell pairing or Greyjoy/Bara pairing looks better from your experience? Greyjoy aggro decks seem really good right now.

uhh, baratheon is definitely a strong splash in any deck, even without the mel package, hunting party, davos, shireen, cressen and chamber are all solid cards, the vanguard lancer is decent as well. I’d probably give them the nod as davos plays well with all the stealth going around, although neither of them really patch up greyjoys lack of intrigue well. The tyrell int heavy hitters are all loyal, and dorks don’t seem very effective in this edition.

I want to run unsullied, jorah and illyrio in greyjoy, but then you have some pretty weak filler after that.

I want to try running the Mel package in Martell, seems like it wouldn’t be bad. Would let you control and survive the early game and build your board for the inevitable Doran’s Game to close it out.

Fealty seems very good in Targaryen to me. Dany, Drogo, Viserys, Plaza of Punishment, Dracarys!, and Fire and Blood are all strong includes that can be discounted, and the fact that Dracarys! and Fire and Blood are eligible lets you play those key tricks even from 0 gold.

Dracarys is a stupid card and I wish they never printed it. There were serious problems with easy burn cards in 1st Ed, and I’m utterly shocked they decided printing one so early in second ed was a good idea.

Plaza has been underwhelming in straight targ, other factions are way better at power challenges. Splashing NW or Greyjoy it’s great, but targ doesn’t have stealth or 4 cost power monsters. Dracarys and F&B are both great if you have dragons, but you don’t always have dragons, and sometimes Mel kneels them and they never get back up. Basically targ needs a lot of things to go right, and they don’t have the draw to make sure it happens.

1 Like

Can someone tell me how bad this Martell/Bara deck is? I feel like the Mel kneel package is good in a deck that wants to just sit there for a while and do nothing until plot 4/5. I want to play one more Doran, one more Caleotte, and also slot in Varys but I have no idea what I’m doing in this game.

Total Cards: (60)

Faction:
Martell

Agenda: (1)
1x Banner of the Stag (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
2x Filthy Accusations (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)

Character: (35)
2x Areo Hotah (Core Set)
2x Arianne Martell (Core Set)
3x Desert Scavenger (Core Set)
1x Doran Martell (Core Set)
2x Dornish Paramour (Core Set)
2x Dragonstone Faithful (Core Set)
2x Edric Dayne (Core Set)
3x Fiery Followers (Core Set)
3x Greenblood Trader (Core Set)
2x House Dayne Knight (Core Set)
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
2x Maester Caleotte (Core Set)
3x Melisandre (Core Set)
2x Palace Spearman (Core Set)
1x Ser Davos Seaworth (Core Set)
3x The Red Viper (Core Set)

Attachment: (4)
2x Dawn (Core Set)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Event: (9)
3x Doran’s Game (Core Set)
3x Seen In Flames (Core Set)
3x Tears of Lys (Core Set)

3x Blood Orange Grove (Core Set)
3x Ghaston Grey (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)

So I finally found what stark does, turns out you ignore all the military mono-icon killy stuff and put in a bunch of things that say “gain power” or " Stand" and “Renown”, they have a lot of those, and surprise bumping up your claim on power is really strong.

1 Like

Yeah, Stark and Tyrell are the two best rush factions. The really dumb thing about Tyrell is all their power grab is currently on non-loyal characters, so if you splash them into Stark, you’ll have a hell of a lot of renown.

Direwolves sucked in 1st ed, and still suck in 2nd ed. Monocons really really really hurt.

It seems like this would be pretty good, but I look at all the factions and see good cards and combinations. I’m looking forward to getting this to the table with you when the cards are in my hands.

I’m in the same situation as you being new to Thrones but the premise is sound.