Megadig on R&D

This strikes me as really flawed reasoning - if you’re playing Showing Off when you could have been playing Demo Run in that slot (so, basically any time you’re not already at 3 Demo Runs and looking for more), aren’t you literally “wasting a Demo Run” whenever you play your Showing Off?

2 Likes

What if you stimhack and hit the demo run? Why do you have to stimhack? What’s going on here?! ?!!? !? :weary:

He needs the stimhack to pay for the things on PW.

See here ^.

I’ll simplify the comparison between Demo Run and Showing Off: If Showing Off shows you literally all the cards in R&D you haven’t seen yet, Demo Run just costs you an extra click (and darwin breakage costs) to do the same thing. The only case in which Demo Run is better is the one where you literally blow up their entire deck instead of scoring 7AP.

As an aside, if you are worried about hitting the Showing Off with the brain damage from Stimhack, you are not getting into the spirit of the deck. In any case it’s a bit of a moot point because you tend to win on the first run anyway.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Here’s a clarification of what I was saying:

Demo run is used by spending the first click on Demo Run, trashing all cards accessed, then spending another click to go back and see all new cards.

Showing Off is used by spending a click to make a run on R&D, accessing normally, then spending another click playing Showing Off to see all new cards.

In the case that you know that you are able to get into R&D (no ice, breakable ice, or porous ice), Demo Run is better since you get the option to trash cards on the first run. In the case where you’re not sure whether or not you can get into R&D (unrezzed ice that you may be unable to break), Showing Off is better because you’re not using the card until the second run. If you get stopped on the first run, you still have Showing Off for later when you can get in. In the Demo Run scenario, you would have played the card as the first click and would have been stopped.

In addition, Showing Off is better against certain other corp cards like Architect, Yagura, Shiro, and Daily Business Show. I would still say that Demo Run is better overall, but Showing Off is better in specific circumstances, especially against unknown ice.

1 Like

I’ve used showing off just for the hell of it and demo run is better so much more often I don’t find it (show off) worth considering at this time.

Even if every corporation is using DBS there’s no guarantee they even hit agendas. Demo run will just about always trash something useful to you (namely ICE).

You don’t toss out a showing off on ICE unexposed. It’s not like account siphon where the cardslot is a big part of the overall plan where you have 3 copies or you’re recurring it often enough to toss one out to see ICE. That cardslot is meant to be used when it is going to go off. Besides which you don’t need to use it to expose ICE because you just make runs with your medium installed to force them to rez. Then when you’re confident you can break the ICE then you dump an incubator onto your medium and demo run into a regular run.

1 Like

I think a big theme of these types of decks is that there is no ice you can’t break.

When you commit to the mega dig, there is nothing the corp can do to stop you, aside from Nisei MKII / Caprice / Maybe Ash.

With Darwin at super strength (thanks hivemind) and paid-speed super strength parasites (thanks hivemind), there is really no ice that can keep you out.

2 Likes

Hence why Demo Run is a better card overall :wink:

1 Like

To be fair to Showing Off, it is not as good as Demolition Run in a Medium Megarun deck but it is better in decks where you can establish a Medium R&D lock on the Corp.

For instance if your Medium has 4 virus tokens on it (ie. you accessed 4 cards from R&D the previous turn) you could either run R&D normally to access 2 new cards (1 mandatory corp draw + 1 additional virus token) or use Showing Off to access 5 new cards. Comparatively, Demo Run works better if you can run R&D at least twice in the same turn. So they are actually suited for rather different purposes.

One thing I wondered about when playing my big dig deck on OCTGN, is that I don’t think there’s any way of telling in which order cards were accessed.

For example, the runner sees 20 cards in R&D, and hits 2 snares that would kill him, as well as seeing enough agenda points to win the game. Because OCTGN now only shows the results after the dig is complete, you have no way of telling whether they won first or whether they died first, aside from runner honesty.

1 Like

After Clot came out and everybody started playing glacier. This deck became way better.
I just won a regional with this decklist, after 5 rounds and a top 8 it only lost one game where i got caught by midseason, traffic, SE.

How to get a table in your face 2.0

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe (Order and Chaos)

Event (16)
3x Blackmail (Fear and Loathing)
2x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
2x Inject (Up and Over)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Surge (Humanity’s Shadow)

Hardware (2)
2x Grimoire (Core Set)

Resource (19)
2x Adjusted Chronotype (The Valley)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Fall Guy (Double Time) [color=#4169E1]•••[/color]
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus) [color=#32CD32]••••• ••••• ••[/color]
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
2x Symmetrical Visage (The Valley)
3x Wyldside (Core Set)

Icebreaker (1)
1x Darwin (Future Proof)

Program (12)
1x Clot (The Valley)
2x Djinn (Core Set)
2x Hivemind (Order and Chaos)
3x Incubator (The Source)
3x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
15 influence spent (max 15)
50 cards (min 50)
Cards up to The Valley

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Extra SoT to contest that first Nisei. And Adjusted Chronotype is way better than Chopbot.

Protip: Cry ‘Mummy’ while using Symmetrical Visage (@ronzacapa) :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Lost twice to this deck on psi games. Once when we were both on game point (my only corp loss in swiss). These psi games are getting out of hand and I think you won like 80% of all your psi games in all your games (the ones i saw and ours). You need skill to win a regional, but you sure as hell also need your share of psi games :smile:

But congrats man. Nicely done! I was rooting for you in the finals :smile: And still happy with my 3th place.

And please don’t cry mummy in a high pitched voice.

And please don’t cry mummy in a high pitched voice.

(deep voice) Unless she’s into that sorta thing.

:smile:

1 Like

I think I could have win against you if I just draw my agendas in time instead of wasting like 5-6 turns of click drawing / jackson to get something. You gave me a huge scoring window and I didn’t managed to pull it off :frowning:
Also, my ABT trashing 2 agendas and 1 ash was heartbreaking.

2 Likes

Played a dimilar deck out of maxx during the same regional. Faced the only guy who was packing 2(!) cyberdex out of HB… guess how it ended.

1 Like

Now now, you are unfair against ABT. It sounds like it always works like that. Sometimes it just thrashes your economy completely. :wink:

One of my opponent in a SC got heimdall 2.0, architect and a third ICE on his ABT. Bye bye R&D access. Got a bit heartbroken after that.

ABT can win or lose you games. I love triggering his ability. You just have to remember only when it wins :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just always trigger safe beta tests.

There are no “safe” beta tests. You may lose not only agendas, but also Ash or econ.