Meta Diversity: 2014 Worlds vs. 2015 ChiLo City Grudge Match

SHL2 Cast: bblum (Weyland: Blue Sun) VS calimsha (Kate) - YouTube <= A match Mediohxcore and D1en casted a couple of weeks ago with me playing Kate against a Glacier Blue sun deck. That’s how I roll through most blue sun lists. Since then, i’ve made a couple of tweaks (mostly removing the plas and a stimhack for an Utopia Shard and adding an emergency Atman) and even big sentry stopped bottering me.

Nordrunner also got crushed by me during the league when he was playing his trademark HB Glacier, same as Medio with the Blue Sun Timmy took the 3rd place at Worlds.

2 Likes

I have found Damon to be unapproachable and dickish, with a “holier than thou” type of attitude that makes me want to respond violently. I don’t know if everyone here got a chance to see his gripes on the Netrunner Geeks Facebook group:
Damon Stone:
Here are my pet peeves for card games. Dice. Shuffling your hand when I am
not revealing, discarding, and you have not drawn and are getting ready
to play a card (IOW for no damn reason). Being a sore loser. Being a
sore winner. Keeping your counters on
a card that does not dictate counters (i.e. credit pool on your ID in
Android Netrunner). Not keeping a tidy board state. Not using a click
tracker of some sort in ADN. Taking short cuts with your turn. People
complaining of a stagnate meta but refuse to do anything but play the
same deck that one the last major tournament they are in. People
complaining about how this card is overpowered but both refusing to use
any counter cards or to play around it.

These are more or less true of every game I play

The quote that bothered me the most was "People complaining of a stagnate meta but refuse to do anything but play the same deck that one the last major tournament they are in. As if he is such a good designer there couldn’t possibly be a problem with the game, but just people being unwilling to try things out. I’ve tried to play with a large majority of the cards from the card pool (hence the creation of the CT/Oracle May deck with power nap), and there are definite tiers to the value of the cards individually and in game. I know there are a lot of people out there who play more than me and try even more stuff out… it’s just that most cards and decks aren’t going to reach tier 1.

8 Likes

Lady is phenomenal, partly because it’s so damn efficient (subroutines are normally broken at 1 credit per routine, so at its worst you can view it as free to play, and at its best it’s +4 credits) and partly because it turns Scavenge into a monster of a card. Scavenge gives +4 for the install cost, and somewhere between +4 and +8 for the tokens.

It’s probably even more efficient against Hive and Next Silver than any other breaker bar Morningstar. Shapers have no issues refreshing those tokens, and trying to drain them with multiple subroutines just plays into how damn good that breaker is at multi-sub ice.

1 Like

Quick question - so if you trash Lady with Scavenge, you can install the Lady you trashed from your heap? Basically getting 4 free counters on Lady using Scavenge?

1 Like

Yes, of course. It’s one of Scavanges finest plays. The same is true for Imp and D4v1d (the other best friends for Scavenge).

1 Like

It’s fine against curtain wall as you usually only ever want to break that once, which it does for 4 credits less than corroder. Mimic + sharpshooter + deus is actually pretty good against everything except: Data Raven, Changeling and Draco at 4. I will say a few local players have picked up the deck, and running a full set of changeling (because ONC) has been a huge issue for it.

On the topic of large multisub barriers, those very rarely get broken by corroder, I’d assume it’s no different for lady. Parasite is probably the next silver answer of choice

Yes, the same works for imp, femme, david and test ran programs

2 Likes

No offense, but I don’t want to watch you play. I want to see the decklist, please.

2 Likes

Nice! I’ve only played a handful of games, so I’m rather clueless on this type of advanced play. Thanks man.

1 Like

I have tried this too, and it’s probably the best response from Weyland.

That deck with Day Job and Vamp is pretty obnoxious too. I’m not looking forward to that.

There you go :

Blitz Running PPvP Kate

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (24)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Indexing (Future Proof)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
1x Stimhack (Core Set) •
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (8)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (3)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains) •

Icebreaker (8)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
2x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)

Program (3)
1x Parasite (Core Set) ••
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

(Yeah I know, 46 cards, blah blah blah blah)

3 Likes

What is ONC?

I don’t disagree about Lady, it’s strong. But you have to play the scavenge, which you may or may not want to do. Combining with other things you want to scavenge doesn’t seem great.

Order and Chaos

Also I like having multiple scavenge targets, helps justify the card slot.

2 Likes

You can always scavenge superfluous SMCs into parasites in shaper. You could also just play 1 Cycy and 1 Zu/Gordian if you want.

1 Like

Yeah, if you play Scavenge, you can reinstall Lady, and refill it’s counters with it. This can also be done with a lot of other counter-related cards like Imp, D4v1d, and so on. You can even use it on Femme Fatale to “reassign” the ICE that Femme is bypassing.

Uninstall will work in much the same fashion, returning a card to hand which you can then reinstall and get a whole new batch of counters on, but is less efficient than Scavenge.

Also, you can play Test Run to get a card like Lady out, use its counters up, and then let it go back to the deck or Scavenge it and get a counter refill.

Test Run and Scavenge are two of the best Shaper cards for this exact reason.

2 Likes

[quote=“beal2912, post:3, topic:2871”]
Sorry, but you can’t compare these data as a basis for a discussion on diversity, it’s like comparing the Worlds with a Professor themed event.[/quote]

Some people believe the restrictions imposed on AstroScript created a healthier and more balanced meta at Grudge Match. “Themed” tournament or no, I believe that claim alone opens up the data for debate and discussion.

Whether it’s better for a faction to be under-represented or over-represented is arguable. If the question is a matter of balance across the meta though, it is easy to argue which field was more balanced. While it was razor thin, Jinteki, Weyland, and Haas-Bioroid had a closer spread at Worlds (7.5%) than at ChiLo (8.2%). NBN was also closer to the pack at Worlds (18.91% ahead) than they were at ChiLo (24.07% behind).

Most of the comments I’ve seen that believe this change provided for a healthier or better meta are on Facebook, R4G, and Reddit. Very few of the users here have expressed such opinions. I agree with you that, as a one-day meta shift and themed tournament, this was a intriguing prospect and I would have loved the opportunity to attend such a unique event. But given the numbers, I do question those that believe this created a more diverse environment and promote FFG making a similar permanent and official errata of AstroScript.

To be very clear… I do not think that a one-time meta shift and changing things up a bit is a bad thing. The notion I take issue with is that such a one-time shift should be a permanent and official change, and that the meta would be better for it.

(Not directly addressed to you, Jarimy. I know you’re a newer player, but I have not yet seen you complain about the current state of the game - just figured I would address it anyway. :slight_smile: )

Many of the people complaining about the current state of the game have either forgotten about or weren’t around to experience the first year of Android: Netrunner’s meta. In a world where AstroScript and Biotic Labor both existed since the core set’s release, NBN was the laughing stock of the factions for the first nine months until the end of the Genesis cycle hit and Future Proof gave the faction another 3/2 agenda. Project Beale finally gave NBN a boost that caught them up to some of the other Corp factions. And while NBN has seen an enormous amount of support cards since then (the short list reads like a list of Hall of Fame Corp cards: Jackson, Wraparound, Sweeps), reducing the number of 3/2 agendas available to them would still be a huge blow to every major in-faction archetype, not just AstroBiotics.

7 Likes

reducing the number of 3/2 agendas available to them would still be a huge blow to every major in-faction archetype, not just AstroBiotics.

Yep, 3/2’s are super important, which is why there was virtually no NBN played in the Chilo tourney. The real reason for the soft bans on Astrobiotics decks is the easy availibility of 3 excellent fast advance options in NBN. I used to hate TWIY and Making News decks that splashed 3 Biotics, but now that NEH can do it and still have great Ice, all while having a stronger ability, I look back on those early Fastro decks with fondness, especially TWIY. What a pure little example in high variance that deck was.

Anyway, it’s over. Clot is going to make most fast advance play a terrifying and complicated prospect, and bluffing/rushing behind early Ice is going to be more common. NBN will adjust and be just fine. They’re still a super strong faction that can bluff and rush with the best of them, but they will have to make room for Cyberdex Suite to utilize SanSan City grid and Astro. Get your fast advance in while you can, the end is near.

2 Likes

Where I can I find Clot? I don’t see it in my Netconsole app, and I have no clue what the card does and how it affects this card.

@Syntax, please stop spamming this thread with your nonsense. Thank you.

3 Likes

Clot is a rumored to be coming out card that basically reads “The Corp can not score agendas on the same turn as they are installed”, kind of like Mushin No Shin, but runner triggered. It is supposed to be a program which means runners could get it out with SMC or Clone Chip at paid ability speed.

1 Like

You left out the rather important part that it’s a virus with a trash-on-purge condition, like Lamprey.