Minh MaxX

Yeah so you would DLRDLRDLRDLR, in a correct Genomics I would SubAllele the shit of what you just DLRed, being Crisium Grid, Agendas, Caprices, Jacksons, Ashes or Off The Grid.

I’ve been able to do fairly well against MaxX or Val DLR with Hinkes’ IG build. It includes Sealed Vault which can help against Siphon, and if the runner goes full mill they end up making Chairman Hiro and Ronins cost like a billion to trash. Diversified Portfolio is also really helpful with recovering from Siphons.

More skillful players should slow down a bit to clear out a few of the remotes, but it’s not a total landslide against comparable opponents.

Caprice is by no means a hard counter, for starters it requires money to power it and win psi games. If its on HQ its not defending a scoring server or R&D.

Assuming high trash cost is assuming people leave lots of face down cards in Archives. I don’t do this, and with IHW, taking some damage from Shock is laughable.

DLR is only part of the plan. If you’re assuming that all the deck is doing is getting out DLR and mashing the button the while time, then you’re probably missing some of the skill and tactics in playing the deck. Keeping the Corp poor is a primary function, and with no money Caprice is useless.

A lot of RP decks really suffered when Kate started including Vamp (see UK Nationals for details).

3 Likes

Err, I’m sorry but a MaxX/Larla1 with 1x Faust 1x Corroder will go nowhere in SentryCodegateland if the corp is playing those kind of cards until wayyyy in Phase 2, especially with a Crisium or Caprice on HQ, with a high trash cost (aki phase 2)…
And then after this a syphon to land… Nowhere, since you play an horizontal NA deck. Rezzing Sansan for syphon defense is so 2013…

You’re right. That also helps to explain why Siphon DLR and this deck in particular had such a poor showing at World’s.

7 Likes

So much IG Crisium spam there, it was unfun… Oh wait.

If you build a deck whose whole point is to beat DLR, you can probably beat DLR. The difficulty is building such a deck that doesn’t just lose to PPVP Kate, Noise, Reg Val, and so on. But, @anon34370798 I’m happy if you can show that IG is that deck; maybe win a tournament or two with it and tell us what your list is, I would genuinely love to see it.

5 Likes

Well, for start, I stated IG can beat this deck, I did not try to demonstrate IG can win the world, do your homework or cook you dinner (and I wonder why people want to talk about IG great skills at WiiU rather than Minh’s deck flaws).

Indeed, that was my point. It says nothing against a deck that there exists a deck that can beat it- that deck won’t be played at tournaments unless it has a decent chance against the whole field of tier 1 decks. But maybe you just meant you can beat it in casual play if you are sick of losing to your friends with it, in which case, fair point- tournament play isn’t everything.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what your relevant point is here with any of this. No one claims that this deck is unbeatable, even in the OP, as you claim. He never said it was unbeatable, merely unbeaten at World’s. He then goes on a lengthy explanation of how the deck runs. It’s not like he’s the NRDB Deck of the Week winner, claiming that their Jinteki 10-card-combo deck is the absolute shit and unbeaten in all the games he’s played in his imagination and against his dog. He’s just saying “here’s a deck; it was good when I needed it to be good.” I’d bet there’s any number of decks that crush this one. The thing is, it’s not actually relevant to the discussion of it within the context it’s being discussed in; that is to say, the context of the competitive meta as a whole.

10 Likes

So there exisists a deck which is naturally resistant to dlr? Nooo waaay. This drck can be beat, I do not believe anyone has said otherwise.

IMO the fact that someone came to this thread to state there is a deck tooled to beat minh maxx, says a lot about it’s power level. It’s tier one. 'Nuff said.

1 Like

Right, I think that @anon34370798 has derailed a good discussion to complain about a pet peeve (about people claiming their decks are perfect). While some reasonable points have come up, I think we should maybe just talk about the deck here and leave the bizarre musings of @anon34370798 to another thread.

14 Likes

Do you use things like Deja Vu to grab pieces of the DLR package that have been milled away, or do you aggressively draw for them? I always find with MaxX that I shouldn’t rely on any card showing up unless I’m planning on retrieving it.

1 Like

(conjecture) because they might hit someone playing a high-variance deck that’s not really on the competitive meta radar? On a stage like Worlds, where there’s such a slim margin for error because of the incredible record needed to make the cut, I could see that being the case. At most tournaments, you expect the consistency of a finely tuned T1 deck to win out.

1 Like

This was definitely the case when I played Magic a lot. At a Grand Prix or any other large event, having a couple of byes was a huge deal. The reason is that it allowed you to mostly ignore your matchups against tier 2 or tier 3 decks in the current meta, so you could play something with a ton of hate against the “accepted best deck”. Your plan on beating the tier 2 decks was simply to never have to play against them.

This deck is a bit like that in that in round 1 there’s always that chance that you run into that one person running some Psycho / 3x All-Seeing I extravaganza instead of the meta decks like FoodCoats. By round 3 Kate and friends will most likely have done in our Psychotic friend and you don’t have to worry about them any more.

1 Like

But netrunner isn’t as developed as magic, and the people who are bringing weird decks are often (by no means always) worse at piloting them.

If you’re just saying that Minh made a great meta call, then I agree. But if you’re saying good players, in netrunner, fear the first round cos of the potential of an off-meta deck… Then I think you’re just wrong. @mediohxcore @cerberus @spags - do any of you fear R1?

3 Likes

Totally agree that just because you are playing a weird deck it doesn’t mean that you are bad. Far from it! Mr. Wong’s corp deck is the perfect counter-example.

But it’s hard to come up with a rogue deck that doesn’t fold under pressure from a range of meta decks. I think most Netrunner players have a desire to be the special snowflake that show up to the rock-paper-scissors match with a hand grenade!

edit: As for being afraid of a round 1 matchup, it depends on the deck you’re playing. If your deck is susceptible to a lot of hate tech, but normally the field doesn’t have it, then yeah, you should be worried about round 1. The people packing the hate are most likely weakening their other matchups so the other players will take care of them by the later rounds.

2 Likes

So if I can just redirect this to the topic of the thread for a second: this deck is incredible. In my opinion it’s close to the strongest possible aggro build that currently exists, and is ALSO an extreme skill check on both sides of the table. I’ve been having an absolute blast playing this thing. @mtgred, thanks for posting this thing, I love it to death. Would you be ok if I put an article up on Sneakdoor talking about it? Probably not so much analysis as gushing.

3 Likes

Sure go ahead.

Yes it is often necessary to use Deja vu to retrieve WNP if 2-3 gets milled early.