Happy Friday, I thought I’d try something a little different as a thread idea.
By my estimation, Mining Accident has been out for roughly six months. It’s become a staple in Anarch lists, particularly Val lists where its value seems undeniable.
But is it really all it’s cracked up to be? Let’s cast a critical eye on it. I’ve put in several dozen games with Val over the past few weeks and I’ve discarded more unused copies of Mining Accident than I care to admit. I have these observations:
- Drawn early, particularly in pairs, against a poor corp, it really shines at enabling more runs, which beget more Turning Wheel counters and mitigate the clunkiness of the heap breakers.
- It helps beat CTM and Gagarin.
- Val’s match-up against CTM😎 and Gagarin🤢 is already strong. 1 Bad Pub is already a lot. Stimhack helps trash occasional expensive targets and eat traces. All Mining Accident does here is end the game a little sooner?
- Drawn late, or against a rich corp, I find myself discarding Mining Accidents. The two credits and a click may represent more value to me than the corresponding Bad Pub in a game which may end within less than 5 turns, especially when what I really need is to draw into Indexing or Rebirth to close the game.
- I’m deeply suspicious of cards that promise Best Value if you see all three. I ran Aeneas Informant in Criminal for exactly one week for the same reason: if it’s not universally applicable, if it’s poor when drawn late, if it could have been a better draw, or if the click to play is actually a hidden cost… I’m skeptical.
- Mining Accident is worse in Turtle Val than Femme Val, as you’re less likely to get a pop at an open server early on. Arguable and timing-based, but just my experience.
- The best way for the corp to play around it is do something they ought to do anyway.
- Potentially less valuable in tournament play where faster decks are more prevalent.
What’s your experience with Mining Accident? Have you ever cut it? Do you think there might be something which could make Val even more ruthlessly consistent, or is Mining Accident simply the next-best 3-of in a 50-card deck? What about for other Anarchs?