Mull or Keep #2 - by Miek

Originally published at: Mull or Keep #2 – by Miek - StimHack

Discuss the latest article here.

3 Likes

No complaints on this one at least. :wink:

I do like the addition of ‘Forced to Keep’ lines.

I’ll also point out that Temujin is a snap keep, at least in these sample hands. Card’s very good, yo.

2 Likes

If Temujin {
Then Keep
}

if (hand.contains(TEMUJIN_CONTRACT)) {
   game.mulligan(false);
   game.win(true);
} else {
   game.mulligan(true);
   game.play();
}
1 Like

Yep, although there is at least one hand without temujin that was a keep. It shows you need about 3 standard econ cards to give yourself as much value as temujin contract.

3 Likes

I agree Temujin is great here, for obvious reasons. I think I somewhat disagree on some of the “forced to keep” plays. I think it depends on the corp starting turn. Like, if it seems likely you can get to a central also on the next turn, a better play than Draw+Sucker+Dl+Casts might be just draw, credit credit, casts since then you’re not threatened by HHN. This is especially true if the corp played something like draw, ice HQ, econ. OTOH if corp is at 6c or less, a turn of Draw, DS, DL, credit seems better than going down to 4c by also playing the casts. At least you’re making the corp pay more for HHN.

Yeah agreed. There is a reason I originally didn’t do the t1 plays for mulls and it is because everything is so reactive. It is similarly true for all the hands on the runner side, as whatever the Corp does might change the plays.

1 Like

While potentially true for Temujin hands, it’s probably almost always a good idea to drain it as much as possible. I don’t think they’re many corp openings that change it. The only one somewhat plausible I can think of is icing all servers. (IAA BN, not scoring, threaten kill? :smiley: )

Great article again. The amazing article structure (goals - what you’re looking for - do you mull this? - you’re right/wrong because of this) has definitely helped my mulligan decision making the last couple of days.

It’s worth including the first turn line even with the runner I think. We are always thinking of our next line even while our opponent is playing. Of course it might change based on what they do, but it’s a process we’re working with from the get go. On an opening hand you’re thinking ‘this is what I could do’, not thinking ‘let’s not look for what I should do until my opponent plays’. So it’s not misleading to mention that starting point.

Looking forward to more.