NAPD Contracts vs Fetal AI in Jinteki RP

I did that for a long time but I kept getting into situations where I really wanted the three pointer to close the game and had Fetal instead, so I ended up switching back.

In tournaments, I think 3 TFP lets you beat the clock enough of the time that it’s worth it. I think the 1 Fetal is very likely better if you don’t have time concerns though for those very reasons. I played it that way for a long time.

3 Likes

Those are fair considerations. I have had situations like the one Feliks describes, but I find generally in RP that if I can get to 6 points, I can get to 8. However, it’s been a long time since I played in a tournament.

What are your thoughts about replacing 1 TFP with a Utopia Fragment?

Agendas that protect themselves are way, way stronger than agendas that only protect future agendas after you get them scored. It’s not even close. It’s like saying, oh, you’re playing a runner deck that likes to reduce the strength of ice? Why not swap out a parasite for wyrm for the sake of variety?

1 Like

If the RP I played were faster, I might consider that. But I usually lose agendas before I start scoring, not after. Once I’m ready to score, I’m ready to win and at that point, Utopia isn’t doing much.

That makes sense. Especially given how RP centrals tend to be taxing rather then stopping correct?

I think this is the incorrect argument. Nisei is the most important agenda in RP, IMHO. @mediohxcore pointed out how many uses it has, primarily work compression, and also, it acts as a possible ‘counterspell’ at any time to problem events (Siphon, Legwork, Maker’s, etc.).

2 Likes

The Reason RP works is that it tasks the runner with an impossible amount to get done during key turns. But it costs Replicating Perfection anywhere from 26-32 “credits” (valuing advancing at 2) to score out, and another 13-16 if figure they could have spent those clicks just getting money. That is massive, compared to NBN, that can do it in as little as 18 credits TOTAL (I didn’t calculate for the free draws NEH gets, so potentially even better than that) that is an insane amount of money to spend on agendas, this is why it is so much more important to tax the runner credits over cards, and why Nisei and NAPD both do much more work than a Fetal AI, which would lower your ability to tax the runner, as well as see those numbers I gave you earlier go up.

I would probably go the opposite direction if I didn’t want NAPD (I wouldn’t really ever take out Nisei mk 2 without a dramatically different archetype for the deck), opting for Braintrusts and a sleeker, faster RP than taking Fetals, as they actually slow you down more than they do the runner. What I would love is something like A Project Beale or Market Research for Jinteki, because a variable 2/3 points would provide quite a bit of efficiency and you’re not stuck advancing out four 4/2s

initially i tried 2 TFP/3 Nisei/3 NAPD/Fetal and id often end up in a situation where i;d score 4 points and be begging to see a future perfect to win the game. instead id draw into the other two pointers and end up having to work a lot harder to close the game out.

i did try ffox’s twist with fetals/philotic and a single ronin which i felt was a neat curveball but i do think 3 TFP/3 Nisei/3 NAPD is the most consistent agenda comp for RP glacier… i played RP with all 3 TFP in the last tournament and never came close to time. i went 4-1 and even my loss was quick lol. i got siphoned too low to play the psi game and the runner grabbed two TFP in rapid succession to win in the early game.

3 Likes

Install Caprice, Install Mk II, advance once is such a good, aggressive play, and doing the same thing with NAPD is such a good head fake if you think the runner can get in.

The Future Perfect is nice because, if I kept the runner out of my remote, I can chuck it right on that Caprice and IAA. But I basically never score it first, because the extra click to install Caprice makes scoring the 4/2’s so much easier.

Because of this, I really don’t like the idea of including another agenda that I have to IAA.