NAPD Most Wanted List - *Update July 2016*

I think that Yog is on the list to tidy up the color pie. Lady might not be on the list because of the same reason, but it being on the list also tidys up the color pie.

Force of Nature is bad, to be sure. But so are Pipeline, Creeper, Inti, and Battering Ram. That’s how the color pie works. I think that Yog is just a little too good to be in a faction without code gates as their focus. Zero to break is pretty iconic. Lady has the same problem, but is quite a bit better.

This is the only explanation I can think of for Yog being on the list, and provides some additional motivation for Lady being on there as well.

4 Likes

I happened to notice that last time they print an decent neutral econ event is lucky find,in the last pack of Spin Cycle.Through out H&P,Lunar Cycle,O&C,Sansan Cycle,the only actual econ event they printed an econ event is day job.I guess there is something to do with PPVP,especially Kate.

4 Likes

Yeah, PPVP does seem like a weird include. The only argument I see for PPVP is could have been limiting the design of future event based cards.

3 Likes

I don’t like Blackmail because it invalidates gear-check rush as a meta game counterweight to powerful but slow / inconsistent Anarch econ engines. NBN FA is the counterweight to orange in this metagame.

(I say this because I tried to play Weyland to beat Anarchs in regional season, including against you, @zolend)

And, so, yeah, you can put 2 OAI in your Supermodernism and you just straight up hand-check for Blackmail, but at the end of the day the matchup (which should be a good one in my opinion, due to the speed and consistency of Supermodernism) becomes pretty crappy.

2 Likes

Agree on the over-abundance of cards that make gear-check rush strategies poor ones in the current meta. I’d say although Blackmail really hurts that strategy it’s really only out of 1 (albeit popular) ID. Faust is what really has pushed gear-check rush strategies down the tiers.

2 Likes

Agreed. The combination of Faust and D4v1d single-handedly tipped a good matchup (Supermodernism vs Noise) into an unwinnable one, for instance.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying yog shouldn’t be on the list. I’m saying Anarch, functfunctionally, doesn’t have an influence free decoder.

Anarch didn’t get a breaker suite in their deluxe, unlike shaper and criminal, instead opting for their AI theme. Add to this that Force of Nature was 21 data packs ago you can see there is an very serious gap. It’s made worse by yog being on the list.

This hole in the Faction might be intentional due to the AI theme but it’s a frightening concept, especially with ICE destruction taking a hit and Turing being real.

3 Likes

If I recall correctly our match was incredibly close even with you playing 0 of the numerous blackmail hate cards available to you in faction. Seems okay to me :stuck_out_tongue:

This fact is the biggest reason I’m so disheartened by the MWL. Kate was powerful sure, but it was a good deck that really has to be played well to perform, just like reg-ass maxx (not as difficult to pilot for sure, but still). This complete and utter destruction of PPVP Kate is such bad form from FFG. I really think Lady was the card that pretty much gave it >=50% in most matchups. The foodcoats meta even has a pretty good Kate mu, and 24/7 kills as well… haven’t really played since around november so maybe I’m way off here

4 Likes

I think it’s well agreed that Lady was the card that pushed Kate over the top. I think it’s possibly a fair include on the list because Shapers have all the good, flexible Decoders (their native icebreaker) but also Lady, the most obscenely efficient Fracter. Anarchs are supposed to shine at breaking barriers, but Corroder pales in comparison. Some use this logic to also explain Yog’s inclusion.

4 Likes

I really think they did not thought at all about future design space when that list was made. It sadly looks like they just wanted to nerf specific decks based in their success to shake the meta. Then they added some other cards to make it look like it was a general balance thing.

There is a lot of cards and IDs in this game that affect the design of future cards, we could argue that OAI affects future big ice as the printed cost is irrelevant, just to name a card that no one would probably add to that list.

I do not really care about what is in the list right now, what I fear is that next year is a 30 card list just to mess the meta.

What saddens me is what some of us really want is more card support to certain cards, IDs or strategies that really never took off becuase they seem to be forgotten in time.

4 Likes

PPVP had lots of other good stuff it was doing, but it definitely was limiting design space for event econ. I can see it looking like a giant middle finger to Kate, but I think it’s still a reasonable include on the list.

This will hopefully help broaden design space enough that FFG can take more risks with the cards they print without making them gamebreaking – both because they no longer need to out-preform these cards but because if they do screw up too badly they’ve got a way to limit things – though I can’t see too many cards getting added to this before rotation hits, anyway.

1 Like

I don’t think they want to nerf specific deck like PPVP Kate.She’s not that powerful.She just happened to include the most of cards that limited the deck building choice,Lady officially declares that not much barrier other than Eli would be played,Clone Chip just shut down the program-trashing strategy,and they didn’t print single decent econ events since LF because PPVP.I really like PPVP Kate and the fact that she is now unplayable makes me sad,but I don’t think they do this is to simply nerf 1 specific deck.The deck is not wrong,the card is.

1 Like

“I do not really care about what is in the list right now, what I fear is that next year is a 30 card list just to mess the meta.”

I agree with you and share your worries. For Netrunner’s sake I hope we’re wrong!

“What saddens me is what some of us really want is more card support to certain cards, IDs or strategies that really never took off becuase they seem to be forgotten in time.”

This is an issue, it feels like even the recent mini factions did not and will not get the support they need.

There was no other tier one or even tier two deck that played Prepaid VoicePAD. I don’t think it’s reasonable at all to conclude that Prepaid isn’t on there because of Prepaid Kate.

8 Likes

Again. It is not about any particular card, honestly, I see the list fine. I don’t really care about it. What I am just not buying is that PPVP in this case is there because there may be a future econ card that PPVP may break. Same old thing should be there then too because it really breaks any kind of future powerful events unless you make them all remove themselves from the game when you played then. In fact it’s not that we do not see SoT siphons or blackmails all day.

Honestly, I don’t want to argue about what card deserves or not to be in a list like that at all. We will have many different opinions and most will be valid. I am just wary about the future of the list.

It is not the sky falling for sure, I am just a bit wary about it.

Also ambushes, either played in ‘normal’ decks or in Mushin decks.

Maybe it is,but if they do this simply to nerf Prepaid Kate rather than the future design space issue,I got to say I want Lukas back.

2 Likes

I believe that the point of the MWL-list IS to nerf a couple of specific decks, from FFGs perspective. And those decks being fastrobiotics/team turtles. This motivates why sansan city grid and ppvp is on the list. While they probably failed on the NEH nerf they certainly got Kate

Also include “beat the shit out of Val player”