NAPD Most Wanted List - *Update July 2016*

Time to stop whining and start building new decks chummers!

26 Likes

But whining is fun!

You know what I noticed, though? If something makes the competitive community whine, it is probably fine for the game. How many times have we gone through threads that claimed the sky was falling? Caprice and NAPD, or recent examples like Clot and Critic, come to mind.

8 Likes

Time to put away the decks that I was playing with and figure out something new for them.

You can assume they didnā€™t completely invalidate an Identity. Also the wording of the rule is very explicit, influence limit cannot be reduced below one - so if you are playing Kit or another low-inf ID and already have 10/12 influence-lowering in-faction cards, you can freely include even more in-faction stuff.

I think we can all agree that an earlier rotation/errata was necessary to shake up the meta but this just seems incredibly clumsy to me. Iā€™m worried about the future of Netrunner.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll admit, the changes are annoying (my deck L4J deck lost 8 influence) but it seems extra harsh on players who donā€™t read stimhack forums or reddit. I hope thereā€™s a good plan for getting this information out to all the players planning on participating in tournaments.

On diversity, I think this helps a ton. Specifically, it targets points of over efficiency and safety, both of which can be dangerous.

Clone Chip makes destroyers much less threatening for little cost - either through flat recursion or by enabling Sharpshooter and parasite.

Parasite is too good of a blanket answer.

Voice-Pad is clearly targeted at Kate - which makes me sad, I think that the deck is both a) a cool unique economy and b) isnā€™t going to be a serious problem with itā€™s running methods gutted.

Lady is just a tad to good. She also gets worse because Eliā€™s on the list. Weā€™re back to the land where Anarchs are the best at barriers, which is probably a good thing.

Desperado is alright, I guess? The corp side of the list hits some stuff that gave Crim trouble.

Yog.0 seems like a weird one. Iā€™d rather just errata to 2 influence - its not really that big of a problem in anarch.

Architect being here should help diversity, as itā€™s the main progenitor of the Mimic or get out reality of sentry breaking right now.

Astro makes Butchershop a way more fair deck. You can still do stupid turbo NBN stuff, but it takes more deckbuilding dedication.

Eli getting on the list helps Corroder a ton. Also means the Lady hit is less dooming for shapers.

NAPD is a bit odd - itā€™s good, but I think by now weā€™ve gotten to the point where itā€™s just a good agenda, not in need of the GFI influence tax.

SanSan is probably needed - again, stupid NBN stuff can still happen, but you have to chose between warp speed and murder, although SanSan usually was cut in murder NBN already.

Now NEHā€™s 17 influence makes sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

Partially, the month of warning should help. I know my local crew will be talking about this non-stop.

4 Likes

Question is: was this really needed? Was the meta that stale to warrant a restricted list? :confused:

6 Likes

I never whined about Clot, Film critic, Food, etc (wasnā€™t here for Caprice and NAPD). I think theyā€™re all brilliant choices. I think that Political Operative and Councilman are fine too, while theyā€™re obviously close to the mark. This is a completely another thing.

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to go ahead and say yes.

I will also provide no data to back this up.

8 Likes

At least Jackson isnā€™t on the NAPD listā€¦

4 Likes

It was a joke. Apparently a poor one. Not trying to say anyone is wrong disliking these rules, just that I think the game will survive. Sorry if it seemed like I was calling people out.

However good or bad this change is for the diversity at the top levels of play, I find it hard to believe that this was the most elegant way to fix any perceived problem.

Apart from anything else, there are cards on this list that are neutral cards! Having the deck influence decreased by one for a neutral card is the same as increasing the card influence by one. Putting NAPD Contact and Pre-paid Voicepad on this list literally achieves nothing beyond the continued insistence that erratas donā€™t happen (errā€¦ itā€™s a new core rule, it was always inferred, we always meant that, itā€™s a ā€œclarificationā€, itā€™s not an errata!).

5 Likes

Seems elegant to me. Erratas, on the other hand, are irritating. When I used to play SW:CCG (the old one), you had to keep the massive 150 page rulebook with all the erratas nearby to check every single card. And that game had Virtual Cards! WNP should have been unique to being with, but I hate erratas. The MWL is pretty cool though.

2 Likes

Wow Iā€™m really stunned by the positivity in here. I would never have fathomed people coming out of the woodwork to say this has excited them to return to Netrunner. Personally this is the first thing that has seriously shaken my faith in this game, but maybe I am being too reactionary. The good thing is that this list can always change; I hope it will at least be reexamined after SC and before Regionals season.

Personally I agree with @Xenasis. Good design can fix anything, but it certainly requires more effort than a restricted list.

10 Likes

Think of all the cool NBN decks that popped up. We even had NBN GLACIER DECKS (!!!). Now youā€™re going to hinder our ability to include Eli, Architect and Astro in one place? Where astro is the core set agenda thatā€™s never going to rotate so itā€™s MEANT to be used in decks? And Eli and Architect are not hard ETR ice (ETR is a crutch, everyone, remember that!) but are important for taxing purposes.

RP is hurt too, seeing how Film Critic counters TFP (obviously not too much, seeing how RP still made it to t16 at Worlds) and Political Operative and Councilman counter the whole remote scoring plan (One targets Caprice, the other targets both Caprice and Ash). Now, of course, I wonā€™t shed too much tears for poor old RP because I didnā€™t like that deck too much but it was NEEDED for the balance of the game. Same with DLR decks. (they didnā€™t suffer too much from the nerf, though, WNP became unique, which, obviously, helps to trash their stuff.)

2 Likes

When trying to do deckbuilding, yes. Iā€™m putting together a shaper deck - what do I use for sentry breaking? Mimic+datasucker, because architect, sharpshooter and Clone Chips to cover the weaknesses of that plan. And then 2 influence for clot. Then I start making decisions.

Most of the stuff on this list is designed to hit cards that require specific answers - and only a few specific answers. Also most of these cards come at low opportunity cost - Desperado and SanSan are the only 3 influence cards on the list that you would ever play out of faction, Architect, Clone Chip and Parasite are all 2 influence, everything else is one or 0 (or n/a, for Astro).

The whole point of the influence system is to make difficult deckbuilding decisions. This is a tweak to that.

4 Likes

Yeah, I did understand your joke and the hint there (and I did not take any offense, it obviously wasnā€™t meant to offend anyone :smiley:). But I think that it did raise an issue - the community is always prone to moan but I think this is different, as it changes things too much, compared to release of a meta- defining card.

Actually reading through the FAQ it seems that is even more inelegant than I had realised at first glance. The NAPD Most Wanted list is envisioned as a limitation on tournament play only. It is not provided as an additional rule to the game as a whole.

As envisioned by FFG, we now officially have two different games of Netrunner with different rules: tournament play and other play. Decks which are officially legal for Netrunner are not necessarily legal for tournament Netrunner.

If this is really seen as the best solution, at least it ought to be a new game rule so the legal deck you have been enjoying playing down the pub doesnā€™t become illegal once you take it to a tournament!

5 Likes

I think Iā€™m going to continue to disagree. My initial response to this was also that it was a terrible, terrible idea (as evidenced by my first post in the thread). Now I think Iā€™m OK with it, and am willing to take the ā€œwait and seeā€ approach. Iā€™m pretty sure the game will still be great regardless.

1 Like