[NBN] Butcher Your Enemies, Butcher Your Friends

I like private contracts for the money in butchershop. I like being able to use it as an alternative to clicking for money when that’s what I need to do to control my cards.

Have been mucking around NetrunnerDB and came up with this:

Basically

1. Butcher Shop out of haarpsichord, to stop glory runs
  2. You can set up no win sitautions with two breaking news on the table and an astro counter.
  3. Exploda-palooza >>>>> NAPD because they have to steal and YOU get money; more money than they would lose from NAPD, turning Midseasons on!
  4. Not sure about Beale vs NAPD. I like having a scoring threat for now, so the Beale will stay in for a while.
5 Likes

I saw that just now, I think you’re going to be a bit too slow on drawing the combo. Anonymous tip could help, and the DBS’s certainly do too. With whizz being the rage though, I bet it’ll end up too slow in matches vs him and imp, and Sea Source might not matter much given you can’t use TA with it vs the anarchs.

1 Like

Exploda-palooza is going to be amazing for this deck, regardless of ID. One of the biggest problems with it right now is that people simply don’t take NAPDs any more unless they’re way ahead on econ, since they know it’s often a death sentence.

7 Likes

I have played against Headlock multiple times. Unless they play Clot, it’s very easy against them because you don’t have a whole lot of expensive ICE, also wraparound makes Eater sad.

1 Like

Yeah, am thinking about throwing in extra draw/filtering - potentially cutting the PADs for more restructures and anonymous tips.

Really struggling with whether or not this is the deck to bring to Regionals, and how best to prep for them if it is. CVS seems useful against deep-dig (so long as it’s repeated) and the Whizzard matchup is a major concern… I dunno. I think one Psycho might be useful, but I tend to run 3-of both Gutenberg and Data Raven, so going tag-me against my deck tends to be better for the runner, making Psycho more useful since you only need a handful of tags to make it worthwhile. Then again, it’s another thing to hold in hand alongside the Scorch combo. Blurgh. Maybe slotting IO back in or something would be the right move, I dunno. Will have to work on it.

In regionals last year I did TWIY with 3 SE and 2 psycho, and having the double-threat was really good because it ran runners ragged, though, now the multiaccess is stronger and you actually don’t want them running recklessly, which is why @tomdidiot’s deck makes sense.

My advice at this point is fill up with more ETR, shit the runner HAS to deal with, because once they’re tagged, they go nuts (I know first hand). If all you have on RnD when you get the tagstorm is Pop up and Draven, you’re due for some serious hurt. I shifted away from ETRs for more tagging and faster draw for my second regional, and the deck did worse.

IO is also a big deal.

1 Like

Okay, so this is a deck that I piloted in Store Championships where I got 1st place and it went exceptionally well, even against runner decks that packed I’ve Had Worse. I lost once in the elims, where Noise milled 6 agendas alongside with 1 jackson, I had one on board and I couldn’t find my last one.

Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program
2x Breaking News
3x NAPD Contract
3x Project Beale

Asset (8)
2x Daily Business Show
3x Jackson Howard
3x Marked Accounts

Upgrade (2)
2x SanSan City Grid

Operation (16)
3x Hedge Fund
3x Midseason Replacements
2x Restructure
3x Scorched Earth ••••• ••••• ••
3x Sweeps Week
2x Traffic Accident ••

Barrier (4)
2x Eli 1.0 ••
2x Wraparound

Code Gate (3)
3x Pop-up Window

Sentry (5)
3x Data Raven
1x Information Overload
1x Pup •

17 influence spent (max 17)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

I’m very confident with this deck, it’s awesome, suits my play style very well and puts the runner under a lot of pressure. Some thoughts, though:
-dies to R&D dig hard. Maybe should include a Snare, removing 1x Eli 1.0 and 1x Pup
-Eli 1.0 was a boss. Taxes everyone really hard.
-I only included Information Overload because I didn’t have a Gutenberg to put in my deck. Psychographics woould work much better against tag-me runners.
-Daily Business Show is too good to be true. Helps you assemble your combo pieces. Saved me from R&D lock in the finals. Helped me draw my Scorches. Didn’t let me overflow with agendas. Whizzard would be happy, though.
-I didn’t mind the 1-click ability of Marked Accounts, noone trashed them. Also, the trash cost of 4 of PAD campaign makes a huge difference in the runner’s eyes, I didn’t have my Marked Accounts trashed in a single game.

I’m going to set this deck aside for a while, since it’s the new hotness of the season and everyone seems to be running it, so everyone is going to expect it. That’s why I think it will decrease in strength. The main problem with Criminals isn’t the fact that they get filthy rich and become hard to Midseasons, instead it is the fact that they use Plascrete. (Or Utopia Shard, for that matter.)

However, when Data and Destiny comes out, this is going to be what I’ll try out:

A future Butchershop

SYNC: Everything, Everywhere

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program
2x Breaking News
3x Explode-a-palooza
3x Project Beale

Asset (8)
2x Daily Business Show
3x Jackson Howard
3x Marked Accounts

Upgrade (2)
2x SanSan City Grid

Operation (17)
3x Hedge Fund
3x Midseason Replacements
1x Psychographics
2x Restructure
3x Scorched Earth ••••• ••••• ••
3x Sweeps Week
2x Traffic Accident ••

Barrier (3)
1x Eli 1.0 •
2x Wraparound

Code Gate (3)
3x Pop-up Window

Sentry (5)
3x Data Raven
2x Gutenberg

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

Some more thoughts on this and Butchershop in general:

• 40 card min deck size is a trap. You NEED those 49 cards to fit those combo pieces inside and I’ve often felt like adding up to 54.
  • Breaking News is a great agenda, I’ve had many great flatlines with it. But you don’t need it as a 3-of. You lose more econ and valuable ICE that way. Also, you’ll find it that it gets stolen more often, as you usually need just 1 copy of it to kill. 2 is enough and, with decent draw, especially that of NEH, you’ll find that piece in your hand more often than needed.
    -Explode-a-Palooza is what this deck needs. You gain more credits than the runner would lose, feeding the Midseasons. Yes, the runner would be able to run more often and wouldn’t take a hit from scoring an agenda, however, you can rely on the fact that they WILL steal it. I have won many games against Butchershops where I left the NAPDs untouched until I could reliably score and win, stealing them all in one turn.
    -A 3rd Traffic accident is a matter of taste. I like to use more taxing ICE, however, if you feel like you are left without it too often, add the 3rd. However, I found myself usually lacking Scorched Earths rather than Traffic Accidents.

EDIT: I forgot to mention SanSan City Grid. It’s an all star. Helps you pressure the runner, also enables the crazy kill combo with Breaking News!

3 Likes

You should ALWAYS be TAing first.

Regional in NOLA was basically all Butcher Shop. I think 5/8 in the cut to double elim? It has a good matchup against any Anarch not playing at the top of their game, since it was basically designed to beat IHW. 1 Plascrete is what people run, and it’s not enough to stop it either. You need 2.

And perhaps the best thing about the deck is that it absolutely stomps on newer players or bad runner decks. It’s basically a free coast to top tables, with time to spare. You could say the same thing about a well-piloted RP, but this is much more fun than RP.

It’s saw more representation than RP in general, recently too.

2 Likes

I do, didn’t mean to imply that would be the order of play lol. First time after IHW came out that I hit one with SE, I realized that pretty quick. Actually got lucky at Toronto regionals dodging two IHW with a TA before SE.

1 Like

This is shockingly close to what I thought I would make out of SYNC. I might go up to 3 restructures and maybe drop a Marked, as assets aren’t as good out of NEH and saving operation economy for a surprise Midseason’s is always fun. Maybe also 3x Breaking, 1x TGTBG and -1x Beale -1x something else, but it needs testing.

Of course, there will probably be other fun stuff to include in D&D, so we’ll have to see.

1 Like

I’m not yet sold on TGTBT. Seems like it would fail you more often than not, but then again, it would add up to the overwhelming amount of tags the deck aims to produce. Yeah, Restructure was very good, would help immensely. I like Marked Accounts, but it’s not like you can’t live without it. Plus, this deck usually floats above the 10 cred limit to make Restructure worthwhile. Yeah, hooked for D&D. Up until discovering this deck I despised NBN. Now they’re my pals :wink:

Been piloting this archetype for a few weeks now and it is rock solid. Being able to power through Plascretes with extra kill pieces is great.

I’m really looking forward to trying this out of Haarpsichord once Old Hollywood drops. Losing the NEH draw power hurts (the 2 influence less so, it was always kind of wasted IMO), but it helps fix the deck’s big weakness, which is deep digs through R&D. Once the Midseasons lands, you actually have a few turns to find your coup de grace by digging with Jackson or DBS.

1 Like

Oh, and even if you stay in NEH, Explode-a-palooza is going to be huge. Much better than NAPD, as far as I’m concerned, as the steal is mandatory (unless Imp is on the table), and the credit swing is bigger.

2 Likes

Can someone explain why it’s called Butchershop?

The guy who originalyl built it called it Butcher Shop. I tihnk it’s because it has a lot of meat (damage) and likes to butcher people.

I just like to name my decks silly things. This deck is about landing Midseason ASAP and then just putting the runner through the meat grinder while they panic to win out of R&D.

10 Likes

It’s a good name. I think the Netrunner community gives top decks pretty awesome names overall. To an outsider even a classic old dog like Supermodernism sounds cool. Well, except that good-cards MaxX deck :^)

9 Likes