[NBN] Butcher Your Enemies, Butcher Your Friends

Is it still worth running 2 PAD + 2 Marked in Haarpsichord? Since you don’t get a draw by installing them anymore, perhaps it’s better to include the 3rd Restructure or something? Although it is still nice to have more Imp bait.

3 PAD, 3 Restructure are ok.

3x pad 3x marked is good too. Embrace the swing people.

I kinda feel like if you’re going 3x pad 3x marked, then NEH might just be a better fit than Haarpsichord. It seems like if you’re going to choose Haarpsichord, than you kind of need a reason to do so in terms of deck composition. I guess it would depend on whatever else @RedScharlach is running that might make it worth the ID change.

1 Like

The main appeal that it buys you more turns to dig out your kill after you’ve Midseasoned them (or to dig out your Midseasons). I am testing the 12-agenda composition, which should play into the ID nicely, but that’s the only particular synergy I can think of.

I was playing a Butcherish version of it last week, and a fun play I was able to make (though obviously not something that’s going to happen very often) was using Jackson and pitching all 3 Explode-a-paloosa’s in Archives, Runner thought he was fine and ran archives, and I let him access, gaining 15 credits and losing 1 agenda. Feels good, man.

Yeah, against HaarpsiButcher, I think it might be the right call to run Jackson instead of running archives directly.

After playing a few games with HaarpsiButcher, I’m not really impressed. The draw and extra 2 influence from NEH are really good, and the ID card telegraphs your strategy less (unless people start running HaarpsiFA). Haarpsichord’s ability literally had zero effect for me in the games I played, especially once Film Critic hit the table.

Targeted Marketing, however, is hilarious. Aside from the potential to target Film Critic (setting you up to kill it immediately thereafter with SEA Source), you force them to activate Midseasons if they want to get rid of it.

3 Likes

to be fair I think it can often be right to run jackson against butcher as well

1 Like

Yall are missing the RnD punish. news team, product placement, special offer. You don’t really need pad or marked imo.

2 Likes

Sure, but they are not available right now.

Is there a reason why I’m seeing so many Butchershop lists without Daily Business Show? Seems way too good of an include in what’s fundamentally a combo deck to drop. I’d rather draw into my pieces & rely more on operation econ bursts than add more slow pieces like Marked Accounts or PAD.

1 Like

I think sometimes it’s a matter of deck space. Doing too much more than econ, ice, agendas and tags + punishment can be kinda tricky if you don’t feel comfortable making sacrifices. I know that I absolutely love using 2 in the NEH build I play, but I have to play really light on ICE if I want to keep everything else.

yeah dunno, in my current deck I have 0 copies of dbs, and am not sure what I’d cut for it. You also have so much less ice that it’s hard to protect it (and can prob only be protected with a data raven or something). So yeah, once it’s instant trash, your opponent will let you rez it, then go trash it. The deck seems to have worked fine without it so far (managed to go 3-0 with it at a gnk last night which was nice, especially since I had to beat two leelas, one of which got two plascretes and logos up @_@ )

Has anyone considered moving from the NEH traffic accident + scorch kills to a haarp sea+scorchscorch game plan considering film critic?

It would be closer to supermodernism however it has an FA win condition as opposed to pure rush, and non-operation tagging via BN. Haarpsichord provides the multi-access defense that snare! once did in GRNDL, and there are more in faction tagging mechanics.

The main problem with Scorch decks since Order and Chaos is that Anarchs are everywhere and they all seem to have 3 copies of IHW, making the kill a lot harder to actually achieve. Also, with only 3 copies of Scorch in the deck, you generally have a harder time assembling the combo pieces to kill the runner. I guess you would have more room for the FA side of things without Traffic Accident, but you don’t really have much on the influence side of things to bring in Biotic. Many Butcher decks pack SanSanCG anyhow, so it’s not like you don’t have FA options in regular butcher decks.

I’ve been running AstroHarp FA and it’s pretty good. I think operation economy is king in Haarpsichord, so if you want to see cards faster Anonymous Tip is the move.

I guess all I’m saying is: when you see Haarpsichord hit the table, if you assume it is just trying to kill you, that could be a mistake.

3 Likes

Seconded, doesn’t Film Critic render Butchershop invalid?

I’m not certain that it invalidates the midseason kill game plan, only time will tell. Not everyone will always have film critic slotted. I did take haarpsichord sea-scorch to a small GNK and went 4-0 with it. So there is definitely something there.

1 Like

Agreed, you can’t assume that every deck will have Film Critic, just like you can’t assume every deck will have Clot. That being said, having a backup kill condition like SEA Source is probably the right move. I am currently running two copies in my Butchershop deck, and it has landed me quite a few kills, just on the premise that people don’t expect a run where they don’t steal to kill them anymore.

Haarpsichord is cool because it gives you the multiaccess protection, what you lose is the influence, and default card draw. My current Butchershop runs a Snare! which wouldn’t be possible while also keeping two Traffic Accidents. Completely on the same page here, we will have to see how the meta evolves and if Film Critic creeps its way into more decks.