NBN - Is there a possible alternative?

Yeah similar cards, except for Caduceus, Ash, Hive, and most of the time Tollbooth (a mistake IMO). If simply running Eli makes a deck taxing, then all corp decks are taxing at the moment. NEH might have some taxing cards, but its main goal is not trying to break the runners bank and create a scoring window. That’s all the above list can do because it doesn’t have Biotic Labor.

A lot of NEH lists also run 3-4 fewer ice, and situational stuff like Grim, which means you are more likely to have starting hands without good defense that you can’t help but lose. You also have some hands that are simply unstoppable, and most of the time very solid hands.

Fast track is what really makes the difference and I think it’s the best card to come out for NBN since sweeps, and it’s still really really good in other NBN decks without Biotic Labor. While NEH is obviously strong and in fashion, Making News is still very capable of consistently beating a runner pool that hasn’t changed very much. As long as you have the core template down any NBN deck is probably going to do alright.

2 Likes

I believe @Paranoid had an NEH deck at Gencon with Eli, Caduceus, Tollbooth, assets, AND Biotic. Best of all worlds.

It was 11-0.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was almost the same as Benoit’s deck, with a few different ICE choices and +2 Fast Track. I know @DJhedgehog was running a NEH with 3x Tollboth, 2x Caduceus, etc. at Gencon as well. It’s a pretty common deck. My only issue is calling that type of MN deck “Tax NBN.” Almost every Corp deck (other than Rush or FA/Rush) taxes just as much as that list. Just because a deck includes 5 or 6 FA cards doesn’t mean it can’t tax really well. Here’s a great article about playing a FA deck “slow” : Slowing Down Fast Advance - StimHack.

1 Like

Well I’m not making up the name here on the spot, it’s clearly being discussed at top of the thread so I’m just joining the discussion. It’s still personally my favorite deck to play with, and against, so I like talking about it. If it fits for you maybe you can call it “Slightly more taxing NBN that runs Ash and more ice instead of Biotic Labor and takes advantage of Making News to make traces stronger”.

Whatever you call it, it’s certainly an alternative to common NEH, which is what the OP was asking for.

(and I agree that article is really great!)

2 Likes

list please!

Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center (Upstalk)

Agenda (11)

Asset (9)

Upgrade (3)

Operation (10)

Barrier (5)

Code Gate (7)

Sentry (4)

17 influence spent (max 17)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Upstalk

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I changed +1 Tollbooth -1 Quandary shortly after Gencon because I found I had too much money at times and wanted to see Tollbooth more often. Played that list for a while. It did really well.

3 Likes

I’m very similar to this right now with some junk in to throw off atman decks. It’s a pretty solid build.

With the release of Architect, I’m playing almost the same list, with 2 Quandary, 2 tollbooth, 3 popup and Architect instead of Caduceus. It tax the same amount of creds and it’s another FA card if the runner run on his last click.

2 Likes

I do see Lotus Field instead of Tollbooth quite often and I would like to know how you guys feel about this substitute. Is it worth the small amount of Influence when NBN already has that really solid Code Gate? Also, most of the time it is replacing the Rototurrets in a lot of lists, but Sentries are a blind spot in the lineup of non-trace NBN.
The funny thing is that basically an ICE that is weak to Parasite is replaced with one that is not affected by it.
Playing with Archtect instead of Caduceus seems reasonable (it already has it’s own topic x) and given that it’s also not really effected by Parasite, is Lotus Field still needed in that regard or a nice addition nonetheless?

I don’t really want to drift the discussion further away from the actual topic, but I felt that the talk about Tollbooth already arised and it is something I’m really curious about.

1 Like

If you have the money, Tollbooth is ridiculously better. I had one over R&D and HQ today, and it was essentially GG. Until one got Femme’d. Still, bought me tons of time.

No lie, @Paranoid’s build isn’t the quickest NEH, but I like the stability of it.

1 Like

But why is it that a lot of people replace them with Lotus Field? I mean, I can see the merit in having a non-parasitable ICE, but I agree that it still seems inferior otherwise. I don’t really see why you want to spent the Influence to replace an already good card, the 3 extra credits to rez never felt bothersome in NEH and it’s the only big ICE anyways.
Sure, Lotus Field is a great card and a nice cheap splash for a lot of decks having problems with Code Gates, but it seems unnecessary in NBN decks.

Lotus Field is good for two reasons:

1. Yog.0: It’s pretty simple, you can’t data sucker your way through it like you can other cards. And, unlike tollbooth, even D4v1d won’t get you through it, so it forces anarch to play something that can break it, and that means crypsis or some other AI breaker.
  2. Parasite builds that don’t break ice much, such as perhaps a Nasir build (though a good Nasir build will run Atman at 4). Forcing these decks to pay to break often ruins their day and being able to keep ice up on centrals means they can’t go to town with a medium or nerve agent.

But, there’s another option for #2 now, and if you believe lotus field is having enough of an effect on the meta by geing in other people’s decks, then #1 is fixed for you too. If we all go back to 0 lotus field, then it will be come more valuable again as runners adjust to a meta without it; but chances are the meta will be sticky enough that you don’t need lotus field.

It depends. I’d probably replace something other than tollbooth if I were going to grab it though…

1 Like

Lotus Field is definitely good if you can afford the influence. The problem I have with it is that every runner will be prepared for it and it’s 4 strength along with Eli so Shaper really has no issues with it. There are some games where I’ll drop a Passport before seeing NEH’s code gates just because it’s so prevalent. Tollbooth is much better when every runner has an answer for Lotus Field in their deck.

1 Like

Really…Fast Advanced NBN of any flavor if you want to win, no there aren’t real alternatives just yet (but RP looks promising, meta dependent). I don’t have time to play tournaments sadly, so even though I made a solid NBN: TWIY Rush deck I never play it because it’s so dang boring and predictable for friendly play.

Hardcore Weyland since core, and so so glad Blue Sun gives Big Ice the kick I was hoping BWBI would.

I’ve been working on this

MN tax (49 cards)

NBN: Making News

Agenda (10)
2 Gila Hands Arcology
3 NAPD Contract
3 Project Beale
2 Restructured Datapool

Asset (5)
3 Jackson Howard
2 Reversed Accounts

Upgrade (2)
2 Red Herrings

Operation (13)
2 Closed Accounts
3 Hedge Fund
2 Restructure
3 Scorched Earth
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (6)
3 Eli 1.0
1 TMI
2 Wraparound

Code Gate (5)
2 Pop-up Window
1 RSVP
2 Tollbooth

Sentry (7)
2 Data Raven
2 Draco
1 Flare
2 Uroboros

ICE (1)
1 Universal Connectivity Fee

http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/zSMyMnBivXm9RkwYJ/

Had some early success. Highlights include;

Restructured Datapool: If you can score this its almost game, great tax and you can closed accounts/se once they give in to the tag.

Red Herrings: Not quite an ash but then pretty great at protecting and agenda in at taxing server making them run twice. Although low trash cost out of rd is a problem.

Reversed Accounts: Great for making scoring windows.

Unsure of the se, nice to have a secondary win condition but its alot of inf be nice to fit a ChiLo City Grid in there.
A scoring server of ChiLo and Shell corporation seems good. Comments welcome!

1 Like