NBN - Is there a possible alternative?

Going to keep this question very short and simple. Everyone knows that NEH is the top NBN deck at the moment without a doubt, the results don’t lie. Does anyone think that any of the other NBN identities are still viable? If so can someone please give me some guidance with all the new cards out now I haven’t seen anything besides NEH but I really enjoy playing the others. Thanks guys and gals!

NBN in general is very strong right now. Before the release of NEH I was playing Making News and putting up consistent finishes. No new corp cards really impact those various MN lists(NEH ID simply made a better NBN deck with higher variance possible) I think you could play something similar to my regionals deck and do fine if Making News is your style. Midseasons is probably a decent choice as well.

In a vacuum as far as NBN choices it’s probably inferior to NEH, but in comparison to other corp choices I don’t think it is bad at all.

2 Likes

@Scorcho has been playing with a MN deck lately with Manhunt if he feels like sharing the list.

Scorched NEH is fun and viable as well, but Plascrete use is on the rise.

Yeah I’m just tired of going to game nights where 8 people play NEH. I’ve always played NBN but lately the scene is a bit dull due to the lack of variety. I’m just looking for a more recent list for a different NBN identity. Considering there is so many new cards since I played last ( I haven’t played since before honor and profit ). I got all the data packs and such so I have a load of new cards and am not sure what direction to go with it.

TWIY Astrobiotics is pretty much the same as NEH except worse. MN Midseason/Psycho/Beale is strong and is a bit different than Astrobiotics. You could also try some jankier builds with Snares and Scorches, etc.

1 Like

Whatever happened to NBN Tax?

2 Likes

It went out of fashion. No idea why, it’s still strong and fun to play, additionally it has a bonus now of everyone thinking Midseasons/SE and playing around it when they see Making News.

NBN : TWIY* and NBN: MN are both better than all non-Replicating perfection Decks. Just play a deck that is strictly worse than playing NEH and you will still win because NBN is that good.
Depening on your definition of viable all NBN identies are viable or only NEH is. Under my definition the only viable corp decks are NBN : near earth hub and Jinteki : replicating perfection, but some people have broader definitions of viable.

1 Like

It’s still decent, but the Prepaid economy engine and Security Testing did a significant amount of damage to it. You can’t just stick a couple of marked accounts and reasonably expect to tax the runner out of the game anymore.

2 Likes

Shore fing.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (49)

Identity:
1x [NBN: Making News (Core)] 1

Agenda: (11)
3x [AstroScript Pilot Program (Core)] 2
2x [Breaking News (Core)] 3
3x [NAPD Contract (Double Time)] 13
3x [Project Beale (Future Proof)] 16

Asset: (7)
2x [Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)] 9
2x [Marked Accounts (Cyber Exodus)] 11
2x [PAD Campaign (Core)] 14
1x [Shattered Remains (First Contact)] 21

ICE: (15)
1x [Draco (What Lies Ahead)] 5
3x [Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)] 6 ■ ■ ■
1x [Flare (Future Proof)] 7
1x [Muckraker (Second Thoughts)] 12
3x [Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)] 15
2x [Quandary (Double Time)] 17
1x [Tollbooth (Core)] 23
1x [Universal Connectivity Fee (Up and Over)] 24
2x [Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)] 25

Operation: (14)
1x [Closed Accounts (Core)] 4
3x [Hedge Fund (Core)] 8
2x [Manhunt (First Contact)] 10
3x [Scorched Earth (Core)] 19 ■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■
2x [SEA Source (Core)] 20
3x [Sweeps Week (True Colors)] 22

Upgrade: (2)
2x [SanSan City Grid (Core)] 18

2 Likes

Hmm I’m definitely trying this out thanks a bunch scorch!

1 Like

[quote=“Scorcho, post:10, topic:2124”]
Shore fing.[/quote]

Have you considered running a different agenda composition to facilitate the scorch? Breaking News and TGTBT are both really strong agendas for the scorch play. TGTBT I like because most people don’t expect it.

Will the zodiac ice make any waves with NBN:MN? Seems like they’re just ‘okay’ ice. The trace to 5 mechanic to trash programs is pretty decent, I don’t think most people think “sentry breaker first” vs NBN. Taurus can help wack plascretes and consoles, Sagittarius could be decent to snap off corroders and decoders. Worth the splash?

This deck is really the first one I built when I got into the game and has had a ton of revisions, and a lot of things have been added and taken away.I did have TGTBT in there at one time, but I removed it for a couple reasons:

1. It’s a 3 for 1, which makes it less valuable for the corp and makes the deck a little slower.
  2. A smart runner isn’t going to run on their last click, and will be able to get rid of the tag, which means that you’re just making them pay an extra 2 credits and a click for 1 point, which isn’t bad as far as a tax goes, but it doesn’t help facilitate the flatline.

The way I usually set up the flatline is with Breaking News. Usually with an Astro counter ready or on a SanSan, and then if the runner can’t get to it, I advance, flip, bang bang. As you can imagine, it’s pretty easy get to what I need with 3 SEs in there and Jackson.

In an earlier version of this deck, I would feed them a Breaking News or NAPD and then pop a Midseasons their way. I decided to switch to the SEA Sources in favor of balance. The deck has an equal shot of flatlining the runner or just scoring with the Astro train. A runner can usually defend pretty well against one but not both. If he wants to stop the train, he has to be more aggressive, which leaves him open to being tagged. If he wants to guard against the flatline, he has to play more defensive, and that gives me time to get the train rolling. The early game for me is spent trying to figure out which route the runner is going, and then go the other way.

Is it better than NEH? Probably not, But this deck very rarely loses.

1 Like

MN Psycho-Midseasons is still very good, but I think it’s probably just a bit worse than NEH FA with Architect. I probably like it more than I liked NEH pre-Architect as it gave more ways to outplay the runner rather than just train to victory. If they get the first Astro (and god forbid 2 Astros), your chance to win is just dramatically reduced in the previous NEH FA where as Midseasons has many paths to 7 points. But with Architect out I think NEH has a pretty reasonable edge. That ICE is so good in NEH.

Taxing NBN is still fine and I think it has less variance than NEH since you give up fewer accesses with your stronger early game ice. There is also something to be said about playing a great deck that people are not prepared for. If they don’t know if you are running midseasons or scorch you might get some extra time to setup. I think this helped a lot at regionals where people were not familiar with my NBN play.

Security testing hurts the most of any new cards, but you can play around it a bit. Andy is running less RDI, which helps as you can make RnD pretty taxing. RDI + Kati Jones is obviously really strong VS taxing NBN so the less you have to face it while protecting HQ against Siphon the better. I don’t think Prepaid is as big of a deal as Opus was. I didn’t have any issues with it at regionals.

Fast track obviously helps a lot too since you can rush games against decks that take time to build their rig. Not being able to score an astro early when you have a window was a big problem vs Kate or Andy, but fast track smooths it out.

If I were going to worlds I’d probably be playing this list:
NBN: Making News (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (8)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
2x Marked Accounts (Cyber Exodus)
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)

Upgrade (4)
1x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) ••
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (7)
1x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (8)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) •••
2x Hive (Double Time) ••••
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (6)
3x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)
2x Quandary (Double Time)
1x Tollbooth (Core Set)

Sentry (5)
3x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) ••••• •
2x Dracō (What Lies Ahead)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Manhunt can be decent as well, but any time you make space for situational operations you are going to lose some games while holding those cards in your hand. For example, losing Caduceus to slot in Scorched is a big deal.

1 Like

I don’t understand how that list is called “taxing” NBN but a NEH deck with very similar cards isn’t. Just because a deck includes Biotic Labor doesn’t mean it can’t tax the runner to death. Also not understanding how this has less variance. If anything, not having Biotic makes it higher variance.

1 Like

there will be more non-NEH nbn when there are more cards that make tagging or tag-punishment less card intensive.

there will be lots of “taxing” nbn decks when that 1/3 that installs a card from archives is released.

“taxing” is painted with a pretty broad stroke. In his case it means using econ assets that are expensive to trash, a fast-advance asset that the runner feels compelled to trash, and ice that has a good cost to runner-cost ration, but not expensive enough ice to qualify as “glacier”.

You probably realize this but i list it for posterity,

1 Like

MN, I think, is purely inferior. Even if a trace (that the runner would like to fight) triggers every turn (unlikely), it simply is not as good as the extra real econ NEH’s extra cards gives you, in addition to the extra speed, reliability, etc.

TWIY, I think, still has a role. Strictly speaking, NEH probably makes a stronger Astro deck, but the thin deck size of TWIY allows you to create a lean, mean deck that isn’t tied to assets as a way to thin the deck. While NEH has very, very strong stats, its ability makes it somewhat more predictable that TWIY I believe.

So, in summary, yeah, NEH is probably the “best” NBN. But, it isn’t the only option by a long shot.