NBN Yellow Jackets: 1st and 2nd at San Antonio regionals

Totally fair on that point.

Thanks for the insight guys.

I understand the draw to have extremely efficient cards like BLC, there is no arguing that as far as for that one card slot, it does itā€™s job much better than GLC. Master Air, you are comparing the 3 clicks of activity to the BLC 5 clicks of activity, but if you choose to click for a credit or a card your only 1 click short on activity on the GLC. Sometimes you might not even want that extra card/credit, and can use the hedge fund you just drew or whatever as well as installing a upgrade/etc. . However, having your influence tied to BLC and Shinobi makes the overall power level/distribution of your influence weaker throughout the deck. I personally have tried BLC, and found that the difference was not as profound as you guys are making it out to be(I havenā€™t tried the Shinobi at all, and probably wonā€™t).

I think again if you look at deckbuilding, spreading the power level/influence of cards will make your deck more efficient. I want my cards to be all be great usually. Drawing 1 eli compared to drawing 1 wall of static is actually a fairly big difference in my book, for the cost of that 1 influence.

As far as E3 feedbacks etc, I havenā€™t ran into any one that installed it(iā€™m only playing eli, no other bioroids) at either of the pacific northwest regionals, so I guess the meta hasnā€™t shifted the same way here. E3 isnā€™t much of a concern, if someone wants to take the time to install that against me I think Iā€™d probably be ok with it.

We have lots of Andy players and then mixtures of everything else. I will probably be going to Californiaā€™s regionals so Iā€™m curious to see what the meta will be like since there will be very few from the pacific northwest going down, it will be my first tournament out of ā€œOurā€ meta, I am interested in how I will fare outside of my 'comfort" zone. I think only me and JohnnyCreations also posting in this thread is going, I donā€™t know about any of the Washington players.

Still disagree completely on Shinobi, as far as Iā€™m concerned itā€™s still a win more. Again, this is probably all just deck building differences. The way I look at it, (Iā€™m probably just echoing myself here) If your in a position to rez shinobi and win, you were likely going to win that game anyways(except for a few fringe cases where, you are estatic to be using your deck slot for Shinobi cause it just gave you a free win). Either your miles ahead, or you have a skill advantage. I donā€™t think Shinobi is as consistent at what it does as any of the cards mentioned. Desperado and R&D and Astro all give your deck extremely valuable reach and longevity(regardless of matchup), and I would never not want to see a single one of those cards. Desperado is so good that having the other 2 be dead draws is just not a problem . Face down, unknown ice do have some influence on the flow of the game as far as runner fearing it, but otherwise itā€™s not doing much. A Guard can serve a similar purpose if your just never going to rez it.

I wouldnā€™t be shocked if a single scorch in NBN would grant comparable scenarios against tag floaters etc. I think they are fairly comparable. You have a surprise factor, free wins, single deck slot for a lot of influence that is not part of your ā€œmainā€ strategy. The card does have merit, but when Iā€™m playing against really good players over a LOT of games of netrunner(I played 18 games of Netrunner at regionals on Saturday). Every card needs to be live imo, and I just wouldnā€™t be including Shinobi. Itā€™s almost always been a liability when Iā€™ve seen it be rezzed :(.

The difference being that shinobi tends to be live every game Iā€™ve drawn it. Iā€™ve yet to have the money to rez it, and not rez it profitably. Even in the games where it doesnā€™t kill, it usually costs them a large chunk of money and some cards, and you are left with a high strength etr sentry with multiple subroutines. Scorched just rots in your hand.

On your earlier paragraphs you mention that any time you flatline with a shinobi is a game you would have won anyway, but between people going low on cards to keep up with nbn/get around sweeps week, and how much it costs to trash sansan/score napd, shinobi gets a LOT of windows. On top of that, a lot of nbn games that seem to be in the bag can be lost in the span of a turn to R&D dig since youā€™re fairly agenda dense. One bad makerā€™s eye can be the game, so ending it before that option comes up can be a big deal.

Also, you seem to have the impression that it sits unrezzed, not doing anything for most of the game. If you have the money, with rare exception, itā€™s getting flipped. Runners donā€™t have the time to durdle and money up against nbn, and you have a lot of things for them to spend the money on. They wonā€™t check at 0 credits if theyā€™re any good/not desperate, but you can easily get the money to flatline them at 4 credits, especially if they arenā€™t at 5 cards, and if it doesnā€™t flatline, crippling them is often enough to put you so far ahead that you actually have the game won.

5 Likes

I think @bluebird503 is saying this because thatā€™s my rule when running Shinobi in NBN. Sometimes I will rez in the late game when Iā€™m at match point (slows then down enough for me to push out the last 2 or 3 points), but I would personally never rez Shinobi in the early game if I had the credits. That bad pub is killer, yo.

Anyway, we are beating a dead horse on the BLC and Shinobi issues. More people should try out their own versions and report here!

I would if it won me the game on Turn 1 like it did in Tulsa or turn 2 in San Antonio.

:slight_smile:

Haha. Yeah, a Turn 2 kill gave me Top 8 in Seattle. I meant I wonā€™t rez in the early game unless it will kill. :smile:

Do you have your deck posted anywhere? Iā€™d love to see what you did.