New Data Pack First Contact

It has to be rezzed though, why would they run a server when there is a Woodcutter that A) can kill them and B) they can’t break?

Woodcutter’s strength will forever be its undoing. I can’t see it being viable without some static strength boosts that make it less of a liability to Parasite. Parasite is already popular, it will become a staple 3-of if Woodcutter ever saw regular play.

The Toybox is clearly intended to be an economy card of sorts and synergise with cards that are too expensive to rez legitimately. It’s also a bit of a counter to the forced Blackmail deck I’m seeing. It’s quite gimmicky but it does actually work reasonably well.

Yes, I think the Toybox is actually quite good. Rezzing a big ICE for a turn and 4 credits is often extremely worth it, and the threat of doing so repeatedly will likely cause the Runner to often trash Eliza’s.

Comparing Toybox to Melange is interesting. Higher rez cost, but also higher trash cost, and it can potentially net even more money on the first use. If you rez a Wotan, then you have saved 10 credits (14-4 to rez toybox), and if you can rez another expensive piece of ice, you can outpace melange economy quite quickly. It’s obviously more limited than Melange in lots of ways, but the upside is significant. I’d love to try it in a glacier next design deck- plunk this down first turn and if they can’t get to it, you start going nuts with expensive ice.

Actually, when I see Eliza’s Toybox, I immediately think Weyland. Archer, Hadrian’s Wall and Curtain Wall are all extremely compelling targets. Presumably, some other goodness will come up as well.

It would seem particularly useful in Weyland, as you could get away with just 2 copies and tutor for it with that rushed-out Atlas counter, giving your late game significantly more power.

1 Like

put Ice infront, they run to face check with the plan to jack out, then you whirlpool or inazuma and they can’t. or I guess you can Troubleshooter it past their ability to pay.

Mind you, I’m not saying this is good, I’m just saying it’s probably better than what the other advance while rezzed only cards can do.

There is no reason to facecheck though since you’re not forcing the corp to do anything they don’t want to do. If they know you’re going to jack out because of the Woodcutter, why would they rez what’s in front of it? Knowing this, why make the run in the first place?

continuing this on the basis of “thought exercise”, rather than “things I recommend anyone doing”…

The idea is you have enough credits to break the Woodcutter if they don’t rez another piece of ice. A good (ideal) example would be Woodcutter on the inside of HQ with another piece of Ice, and one unrezzed Ice on R&D. The Runner has Mimic and credits to break the Woodcutter. They run at HQ to force the rez so that they can Maker’s Eye R&D and leaving the Corp with fewer credits to rez the Ice on R&D. The Corp rezzes Inazuma which the Runner can’t break.

You could do the same thing with Whirlpool if you can mess up there run costs or Troubleshooter and sufficient credits banked.

Again, it’s terrible. I don’t think it’s really that impossible to set-up though, but you need it to kill for it to be worth it, which is just too many resources.

But imo is still the best out of them.

Inazuma might work in that case, but Whirlpool would not.

It would have to be whirlpool+, but moreorless you’re right.