New lead designer for ANR

I do kind of wish they threw in a new preview article to go alongside this, at least, to give people something to actually talk about instead of just speculating.

3 Likes

I thought he made a lot of really cool cards, and for a casual, Damon was awesome. Problem was balance. By the way, whatever happened with that whole “I wasn’t allowed to change an OP Anarch card even though I’m lead designer” thing. Which card was it?

1 Like

That would be Sifr, the hardware that renders ice obsolete.

Knowing that Damon did not have a free hand in designing cards is instrumental in understanding the complexity and precariousness of his situation. It’s difficult to assign as much blame or credit to him for card text, but where his performance could be measured-- being the face of Netrunner, doling out little spoilers without ruining the fun of opening packs, and a reliable source of rulings-- I think he did a great job.

8 Likes

Though he needs to work on his Worlds commentary skills. :wink:

whats the story behind sifr? why he couldnt change it?

1 Like

the story behind Sifr is that he initially designed the card to be less powerful than it was, but in testing, the testers wanted it to be ‘sexified’ and so its effect was increased, and he was outvoted

it’s in an interview he did early on in flashpoint with the winning agenda i believe

2 Likes

Not playtesters, higher ups in the company. But yeah.

11 Likes

Wasn’t Lukas a total rookie before ANR as well? Seems funny that the only designer made to do an apprenticeship on ANR was Damon, and he was the only one with prior card game experience! Unless Boggs was the assistant designer on Red Sands and they just kept it under wraps?

I dont think it is mentioned anywhere that Boggs is the lead designer which is an interesting ommission.

2 Likes

Just noticed that you are right. That said I’m not sure how interesting it is, the only 2 places where the word ‘lead’ is in the piece are both written by Damon and nether in relation to ANR. There could be any number of reasons that the title was not used, even though it was very much implied (such as the reference to him replacing Damon on ANR).

There is the very real chance that the role of lead designer simply doesn’t exist as a title for ANR, as it is never mentioned in the piece that Damon was the lead, just on the design team.

Edit: It should be noted that the only time that I have (quickly) found that Damon introduces himself with a title is as lead developer in episode 64 of the winning agenda.

[quote=“StephenE, post:28, topic:8611”]
Wasn’t Lukas a total rookie before ANR as well? Seems funny that the only designer made to do an apprenticeship on ANR was Damon[/quote]
That would make Michael the most exp with ANR at start : Mickael played the game since release.
Lukas & Damon played NR & still designed cards that were MWLed : exp doesn’t mean much thing.

He must be a cool rookie game designer to put on an old product line, while the exped game designers that are Lukas & Damon would serve better industrial projects.

Maintenance for newbies, new projects for exp guys.

The reality is the existing player base is hooked and will continue to buy no matter what. Attracting new players and growing the game is a huge ask with its hefty buy in, what they attract in is on par with the attrition of the existing players leaving and doing something else with their time/lives. They just need to keep it ticking over, and i suspect at some point it wil make commercial sense to relaunch the game completely.

3 Likes

i’m unsure whether or not TD will attract newer players (but i hope so, of course)

i think the real test is whether or not rotation achieves that though

Rotation will not attract new players. It is much to shallow a cut to do that. Likewise, I hope I’m proven wrong, but I won’t be.

It will definitely make the meta more interesting for existing players though. The lines as to what deck archetypes are good are about to be put into question, if not redrawn completely.

4 Likes

well yeah, i worry for the same reasons, but this is what it’s intended to do, so i am going to remain optimistic about it

i do agree that rotation should probably be a bit more aggressive though

An aggressive Marketing campaign that shits on all other card games is what netrunner needs to succeed

6 Likes

WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE, WIZARDS OF THE COAST?

Or, quite simply put, the entire Thrones 2.0 community.

3 Likes

True, it won’t attract new players, but it will prevent a ballooning of cards that cumulatively discourages new players.

I’m a cycle behind in purchasing cards, but I have spent a small fortune on this game.

I can’t imagine what it must be like to consider entering Netrunner now.

1 Like