New tournament rules: IDs and Concessions now legal

It’s derived from the difference in value of ships remaining at the end of round. Bigger Margin of Victory (MoV) means a bigger blow out.

Excessive details from tournament rules:

At the end of each match, the player who has destroyed more squad points
adds the amount by which his score exceeds his opponent’s score to 100
and records it on his score sheet. The player who has destroyed fewer squad
points subtracts the same amount from 100 and records it on his score sheet.

End of match example: Anakin wins the game, destroying 53 squad
points of his opponent’s ships. Anakin’s opponent, Biggs, has
destroyed 24 points of Anakin’s ships. Anakin wins by 29 points,
which he adds to 100 for a margin of 129. Biggs loses by 29
points, which he subtracts from 100 for a margin of 71.

If a player destroys all of his opponent’s ships, his opponent’s squad is worth
100 squad points, even if it is worth fewer squad points to begin with.

1 Like

Yup, ok. I guess it’s pretty clear the top8 would almost certainly have changed if nobody ID’d. Still don’t see how it’s even close to how Netrunner cuts and IDs work, though.

I get that you can construct the same situation for Netrunner, but it’s highly unlikely to ever happen. And even then, because illegal IDs could still happen in Netrunner, it’s IMO better to make it fair by allowing them for everyone.

If the tournament structure was different and didn’t allow for IDs (no possibility/benefit for drawing), that’d probably be ideal, as long as the structure itself wasn’t worse in some other way…

1 Like

Eh, it kinda seems like that last round was really not needed. That sheet shows me that the top 8 clearly deserved it.

2 Likes

There’s so much salt going on right now in the FFG X-Wing forums, it’s hilarious.

I’m no expert in X-Wing but ID’s were definitely needed for the FFG card games.

2 Likes

how does intentionally ID’ing not fall foul of collusion?

It’s a specifically excepted case of collusion. It still is, technically, just allowed in this case. Kinda like a salary cap in pro sports here in the US.

Because your match result is not based on the behavior of other tables or players. The two players in the match are making an agreement which is made in isolation.

I don’t know about X-Wing rules, but for Netrunner and MtG (the two rulesets I do know), IDs are allowed so long as you aren’t taking other matches into account. For example, you can’t wait to see if a player at another table wins/loses/draws before deciding on an ID/Concession at your own match. If the Concession/ID is conditional it’s probably going to get you a trip to Dairy Queen. (Conditional meaning you can construct it using the word ‘if’… “If that player loses, I’ll concede.” “I’ll concede if you give me $5.” Perhaps oddly, “If I’m at table one, I’ll ID” is fine, because you aren’t basing it on anything except your own record.)

Wow that was a weird situation on that X-Wing tournament. With such a point gap… How likely is a large victory? It looks like only 6 people in the next top 10 even had a shot, unless they wiped out their opponent… I think it’s interesting because of the MoV statistic. And yeah, there’s no reason for the top 8 to play that last round with that much of a gap. (Those 11 people all got only Minor Victories. The top 8 had four Majors and one Loss. It’s likely those 11 people would either lose or get a Minor victory, which wouldn’t affect top 8. What did the score sheet look like after round 6? Did anyone have 20 points?)

I actually used an ID at NorCal regionals to ensure that I made the cut. Going into round 5, I was tied for first at 7-1, with only one other player also at 7-1 (we had given each other our losses). I was pleased to make top 8 regardless, so it didn’t matter much to me if I wasn’t top seed. My opponent had strong tiebreakers and we were confident that there would be at least three 7-3 players in the top 8, so he agreed to do so (and ended up as the 8-seed, thankfully).

We actually played some fun games afterward, and he clobbered me in both of my games, so for me the draw was definitely the right decision. It did feel a bit weird, but I used to play in chess tournaments all the time where “grandmaster draws” are not uncommon, so it’s not entirely unusual.

Had my opponent not agreed to the draw, though, I can’t say I would have been too upset. I mean, we’re there to play and try to be the best, right? There’s again a good chance I would have made it in to top 8 even had I been swept for real. That said, it did let us go and get dinner early, which definitely helped me in the cut rounds.

3 Likes

So does that mean that if I say “I’ll ID with you only if we play the games afterwords anyways,” am I breaking the rules? Cause if I go to a tournament to play some Netrunner, I want to play some Netrunner.

Grey area. I personally would interpret that as being fine, but it’s close enough to the line of “can’t influence match result with offer of anything” that some might not. (My judgment on it being fine is ‘Option 1, they play out their match. Option 2, they perform an ID and still play Netrunner. I’m fine with either of those results.’)

Interestingly, I’m not sure I could construct a ‘safe’ way to ask that sort of question… Mostly because it’s an odd sort of request. Maybe…
“Do you want to ID?” “Yes.” “Can we play the games anyway after?” “Yeah” “OK.”
… “Can we play the games anyway after?” “No” “Then I won’t ID.” (The problem with a strict reading of the rules is that there’s an ‘if-then’ relationship between Not A Game Of Netrunner and a match result. If you will play anyway, then I will ID.)

The 100% bulletproof is “Want to ID?” “Yep” “Alright” Shake “Want to play the match anyway?”. The simultaneous problem and solution is that there’s no requirement for him to say ‘Sure’ now. :slight_smile:

Remember that some people would legitimately rather not play the matchup before Top 8, to hide the exact build of their deck if paired against you in Elimination. (Is it Fastrobiotics or Asset Spam NEH?)

If anyone is paired against me last round top table and we ID I PREDICT with a HIGH DEGREE OF CERTAINTY that I will agree to a subsequent request that we play a game of netrunner for the express purpose of fun HOWEVER I am not OFFERING this as an exchange or inducement to offer or accept AFOREMENTIONED ID. You’ll know me by my Force of Will mat depicting Kaguya, the Moonlit Savior.

No representation is made that the quality of my installed ICE is greater than the quality of installed ICE rezzed by other netrunner players. Void where prohibited. For complete rules, peek underneath when we present identity cards. Void if I’m playing Jinteki Biotech, but double voided because I’ll tell you I’d only play the Brewery anyway so go ahead and peek.

2 Likes

Yeah. As an x-wing neophyte, this whole debacle has made me appreciate the ANR community more. So much raging.

It’s absolutely the worst I’ve seen in a boardgaming community for a very long time. The amount of hate and shittalk compared to the actual incident seems terribly overblown and the most disturbing thing is, that a good chunk of x-wing players are middle-aged men with wife and kids.

That has never once stopped anyone from shit talking. It probably makes it worse since they can’t act like that at home.

Do the new tournament rules no longer prohibit taking notes?

The whole passage is no longer there, unless I am blind.

My current analysis of the situation: