No more Netrunner

WoTC allows several MtG versions of jinteki.net to exist (Cockatrice and Xmage). Given they not only still print MtG but also have multiple official/commercial online platforms (MTGO, Arena, etc), I imagine they would have little interest in shutting down a fan made site for something they don’t even produce.

Of course, you never know for sure what WoTC will do but I think Jnet is probably safe.

this is really interesting. A guy commenting on Metropole Grid last night was talking about how Asmodee chose not to renew (based on a rep who was talking to the store owner…basically a guy of a guy of a guy).

That said–if those things start to align and come to light, this def. changes the perspective on where the “blame” points.

Of course, also during the stream, someone said the licensing number was four times more expensive than previously offered. So there’s that hearsay too.

I mean, I think that’s what most people already think, right – that WOTC just suddenly wanted more money than Asmodee was willing to pay?
Almost certainly they didn’t say NO outright, but of course if they make the renewal of the license too expensive, FFG/Asmodee are going to say no at some price point, even if they originally intended to renew and to continue the game (which they almost certainly did; otherwise too many of their recent business decisions would be really, really puzzling).

If WotC didn’t raise the price, and FFG seems like they wanted to continue, then I guess that leaves Asmodee as the most likely to have stopped the license renewal.

If the Hostile Takeover art means anything, it does seem like it would make more sense as a pointer to Asmodee than as a pointer to WotC.

It wouldn’t be shocking if FFG and Wizards were on the same page and Asmodee scuttled the deal. They’re supposed to be looking to sell, paring down licensing fees might be part of that.

It’s all speculation, though. Anybody who knows anything is not going to be talking.

3 Likes

Binning an asset sounds like it wouldn’t look good on the books.