Official Rules Question Thread

From how I read the card, it would need a pretty weird ruling to find justification for the “No, you can’t” line of argument. It’s not like you’re rezzing a piece of ICE that isn’t being run or anything.

If there’s a “rez cards” window followed by a “paid abilities” window that you can use, why not?

2 Likes

Hm. I misunderstood. I was reading it as “can I use the troubleshooter to protect HQ from being accessed” which is very different, and totally my fault for misunderstanding (one of those things where SEEING it I’d’ve been fine, but reading it screwed me up, sorry!).

Yeah, you can use any paid ability in that window, I think. There’s no connection between Troubleshooter and a run, just the turn as a whole, so I’d assume you definitely could trigger Troubleshooter to make sure they make no money on the attempt, so long as there’s a valid target for it…

Hi,
I haven’t been able to figure this out and the link to ask questions directly to Lukas Litzinger is apparently long gone…

How do Bad Times and Deep Red interact together? For example, if the runner has 3 non-Caïssa programs and no other source of MU, do they have to trash something?

I imagine that they can choose the order in which their MU is lost, or that unused MU is lost before used MU. Otherwise Deep Red becomes much, much worse (and Bad Times much better, to be fair).

I’ve had success with asking a question on twitter to “@RukasuFox

That’s definitely a clarification that we’ll need at some point.

1 Like

Right. I believe one can lose the Deep Red MU first.

1 Like

I’m not on Twitter, though.

#GetWithTheTimesBro

(20)

1 Like

So, here’s something that’s been giving me some trouble.

You must steal an Agenda if the Agenda doesn’t have an additional cost, right? If it does, I know you can Imp it, there’s a timing window that (I think?) isn’t there otherwise.

What about with Demo Run? Can you trash an agenda you’d have to score otherwise? Is it possible to do that with Imp, too? Rare you’d want to, with recursion and all, but… it’d be an easy way around Red Herrings or Strongbox, wouldn’t it?

The FAQ says “The Runner can trash an agenda accessed with Demolition Run, instead of stealing it.” so I would think that you always have the option to Imp/Demo/etc an agenda rather than stealing it.

2 Likes

Somehow missed that. Thanks!

Suppose the following happens:

1. The corp discards an NAPD Contract
  2. Noise installs a Datasucker, milling a Hedge Fund
  3. The runner accesses Archives

Is the corp allowed to shuffle the hidden cards in Archives in order to prevent the runner from determining whether the NAPD contract was milled or discarded? Or does the corp have to maintain the order of the cards so that the runner should be able to figure out where each card came from?

2 Likes

question aside, in which scenario is that relevant?

Playing nbn no Jackson on table, I’d like to know if they are chucking me an NAPD- Midseasons. Amongst other steal an agenda punishments.

1 Like

Edge cases FTW!

I’d guess not, I can’t think of any other situations in which the order cards are played etc. is allowed to be hidden. But I haven’t scoured the rules for confirmation of that.

“Both the Corporation and Runner may look through the faceup cards stored in Archives at any time, and do not need to maintain the order of its cards while doing so. The Corporation can also look at the facedown cards in Archives at any time; the Runner cannot.”

From what I understand, the faceup cards can be put in any order, the facedown cards cannot.

1 Like

Suppose I am the corp in the following situation:

It’s the start of my turn and I have a Ronin with 2 advancement tokens on it. The runner has two cards in hand, a Clone Chip in play, and a Deus X in their heap.

Due to the way the timing rules work, if I advance Ronin twice with my first two clicks and the runner does not use the Clone Chip to get back Deus X then I can flatline them with my third click. If I just say “advance, advance, rez and use Ronin” then the runner can be like “slow down, I want to use Clone Chip”. But if I say “advance - would you like to trigger any paid abilities? advance - would you like to trigger any paid abilities” then I am tipping off my opponent that something is coming (unless I ask that same question every time throughout every game, which is obviously not a great option!). I can try pausing for a while after each action and then try and use the Ronin, but then he might say “wait, before you do that…” and now we’re probably going to have to call a judge?

Any thoughts on what the appropriate approach is to such a situation?

The Corp rezzes Ronin during a window in between the 2nd and the 3rd action. After rezzing he passes the priority, and the Runner can use Clone Chip. After the window closes, the Corp can play his 3rd action, such as using Ronin.

1 Like

Ah, true. A different example then:

Corp: about to advance and score a Breaking News
Runner: 2 credits, 1 Fall Guy, Rachel Beckman, New Angeles City Hall

Same situation - runner needs to activate Fall Guy before the 2nd advancement or else they will not be able to prevent Rachel from being trashed

Nope, because it’s a “prevent” effect, which means it can go off after the thing it’s preventing to stop it from happening.