Official Rules Question Thread

It doesn’t, because installing the card is still part of the action caused by trashing. If they went to your heap as a result of activating the ability before there was ever a chance to install them, there wouldn’t be anything hosted on your Peddler, and the card would be totally useless.

2 Likes

As would many cards with trash costs that use hosted tokens (e.g. Gorman Drip) and arguably anything with a trash cost (since if the card is removed from play, it’s text becomes inactive). Obviously, they’re not meant to work this way. Obviously, they won’t be ruled this way. But OTOH, it does seem at odds with the way costs-effects work in other cases (Scavenge mentioned above, but even the Order of Sol-Sure Gamble ruling suggests that costs are fully paid prior to any effect resolution).

1 Like

From Page 22 of the rulebook:

Trashing
When trashing a card as part of a trigger cost for its own paid
ability (]), the effect on that card will resolve even though the
card is no longer active.

1 Like

Besides, even if it’s not a real argument, shouldn’t it be obvious for a Streethawk to have good synergy with Street Peddler ? :smile:

1 Like

My instinct was to say that you might be right - but!

The card text says “install one card hosted on street peddler.” If the hosted cards were trashed first, then they would no longer be eligible to be installed by the ability, and the card would simply ever function. I predict any ruling would come down on the side of “the card works as obviously intended” rather than “the card doesn’t function at all due to nitpicky timing issues with the wording.”

regardless, I think the wording on the card clearly indicates that the card being installed is one currently hosted, and not in the trash. Sorry Exile!

2 Likes

I would have to disagree, I think the install comes from the trash. You pay the cost of trashing the Peddler, then you install a card that was hosted on it. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an upcoming FAQ stating something along the lines of: “If a paid ability on a card has trashing it as part of its cost, its effects resolve according to the game state of the card immediately before it left play.”

This makes Street Peddler work, and also clarifies Gorman Drip and any other similar card so that the rules explicitly say they function as intended.

You contradicted yourself. The state immediately before it left play was with the cards not in the trash.

Bleh true…that’s what I get for trying to type something intelligent at work. The bottom line is that technically Gorman Drip, Street Peddler, Reversed Accounts, GRNDL Refinery, etc. all don’t work under the rules, as after you pay the cost, the effect “sees” 0 virus counters/advancement tokens/whatever on the card.

I’m not sure why they just didn’t go with the past tense on all of these, to be honest. If Street Peddler was worded “install a card that WAS hosted on Street Peddler,” there would be zero potential confusion about how it or any of these cards work. I still do believe that the install off of Peddler has to come from the trash, because to play it otherwise would be resolving the effect before the cost, which makes no sense.

I think the way it usually works is to resolve the cost and effect of paid abilities simultaneously (i.e.; gorman drip, reversed accounts, etc) The standout seems to be scavenge, which is perhaps explained by the trash being an “additional cost” separate from the other effect of the event, rather than a single paid ability. It’s certainly a weird case, but at least in that case the card effect specifically mentions the heap.

While I understand that you mean that they don’t seem to work as written, we all know that these cards do work: however you parse it, cards like this show an overwhelming precedent for trash-cost-abilities happening simultaneously rather than cost-then-effect. It’s not much of an argument to say “cards everyone knows how to play shouldn’t work, so it follows that this one should work in a weird way that the text on the card doesn’t specifically reference.”

More of a code of conduct question than rules question, but consider this scenario. The runner has a Hades Shard installed and the corp has a Jackson. On click one the corp gives the runner a tag in some way. The corp may be about to scorch the runner or maybe trash the hades, so the runner wants to use the hades in the paid ability window between clicks. I understand that the corp player has priority during their turn, but it should be possible to do it if the corp didn’t intend to use Jackson during that window, right? How would the runner go about this? I’m guessing there’s no better way than screaming “HADES SHARD!” immediately after the tag has landed.

Just say that we go to the paid ability window when you acknowledge the tag.

you’re right, this is a delicate situation. The reality is, if they’re tagging you to trash Hades but have a jackson on the board that would protect them, they’re doing it wrong :smiley: (i.e.: they should I either just use the jackson first and then tag you, or tag to trigger your hades with no intention of popping jackson) But I think in this case you’d be right to ask “do you want to use any abilities after the SEA source?” yeah, you’re telegraphing Hades, but it’s the corps turn, you really don’t have right-of-way here.

3 Likes

That’s a tricky situation, the regular way I’d resolve this is the wait about 2 seconds for the other player to use their paid ability window when it’s clear that they may want to use it (i.e. False Lead, unrezzed upgrade on a run in that server, Jackson Howard with Hades Shard, unless they say or (really) look like they’re thinking, in which case you can say “ok?” to check to see if you can continue. But, it does make it tough because they have the first action after they tag you.

I would handle this situation by waiting about 2 seconds, then use Hades Shard. If they’re about to play a card from their hand within that 2 second time, then I’d interrupt them (hopefully before they reveal what card they are going to play). This might cause an argument, but I’d would just say that I was waiting for priority to be passed. Since all the runner actions that can be used are out in the open (with the current card pool, which will be different when Street Peddler comes out), this is the best way I can think of handling it without telling the Corp the best play. If they’re about the play a card from HQ and I interrupt them and use Hades Shard and then they try to Jackson, that’s a no go. The Corp already had priority, so if they really intended to use Jackson right after tagging they should have done it immediately.

The one problem there being if their second click is to trash your Hades Shard. While you might’ve been planning to use it all along, it’s possible to be a contentious sort of thing, as they could make the claim you wouldn’t be using it if they weren’t going to trash. Only way to avoid that is if they say something like “click two” before acting, which might give you a chance to stop them while it’s clear that it’s part of your plan and not in response.

You are correct sir. Very tricky situation. Only argument you have then is to say that they didn’t pass priority when they could have used Jackson.

1 Like

This is the reason I feel you must be obvious and tip your hand a bit here - if you’re in this situation, the ball is in their court - during their turn, jackson goes before hades, so you really need to be direct about them passing priority.

3 Likes

One Cerberus “Rex” H2 power counter breaks up to 2 code gate subroutines. If I use it on Inazuma do I have to break both subroutines or can I choose to only break one?

That seems self-evident that you can choose to use Rex to break one sub. The card seems well worded to me.

Is there a reason you wouldn’t break both? What’s the specific scenario? :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to use Spooned on an ICE behind Inazuma, you can break the second sub on Inazuma. I imagine that’s the scenario Korrigan is trying to create.

1 Like