Official Rules Question Thread

if you trash ice do you still pass it? You break at 3.1 then you pass so i guess not but passing has no timing number so not sure when it happens.

You are considered to pass it. From the FAQ:

Destruction of Ice
If a piece of ice is destroyed during an approach or encounter with that piece of ice, then the ice is immediately passed and the run continues after any currently open paid ability windows close.

2 Likes

are the subroutines on a destroyed ICE considered broken or, likewise the case of bypassing ICE, destroying an ICE triggers the wrath of chum?

Assuming you encounter the ICE and do not break the subs, fairly sure you take the damage, regardless of if the ICE is trashed. Chum just cares about the next encounter, and subs broken during that encounter.

2 Likes

Does using Dorm Computer satisfy the requirements of Always Be Running?

ABR says first click must be to make a run or play a run event. Dorm computer (hardware) says click + use a counter to make a run.

I suspect that using a paid ability on a piece of hardward does not satisfy ABR’s requirements, but I wanted to check.

The FAQ says “programs” like Sneak Door and Keyhole do not satisfy the requirement, but it does not mention “hardware.” I assume by extension it applies to hardware since hardware is not a run event.

(Edited after finding FAQ)

No. What “make a run or play a run event” means is “either use the default action ‘make a run’ or use the default action ‘play an event’ to play an event that has the run subtype.”

3 Likes

I’m wondering if there’s a reason why Citadel Sanctuary reads “Prevent all meat damage” vs. “Prevent any amount of meat damage.” Obviously it gets trashed, but the wording on the card as it is implies a continuous effect, a la the exact same wording on Paparazzi.

I’ve heard that FFG is bad at templating.

2 Likes

It’s the same wording as Sacraficial clone. The tempting is fine. The card trashed itself and trashed cards are inactive; the effect (itself being instantaneously applied) does not linger. It’s different on Guru / Paparazzi as those cards remain active, and provide an instantaneous prevention to each source.

Prevent all meat damage is different than prevent any amount of meat damage. If I get scorched with an IHW in hand (and nothing else), I could prevent 3 and get free draws.

4 Likes

What is the timing on Null’s ability? Specifically I am wondering whether it can kill a 2 strength Data Raven with Parasite on it without having to take a Raven tag.

I should leave rules questions to the experts. :wink:

Null and Data Raven / Tollbooth have the same timing trigger of “when encountered”. If runner’s turn, null can choose to fire, and potentially kill off the ICE w/ a parasite before its “when encountered” effect is resolved. If this is a corp-turn run (through effect like an offer you can’t refuse), ICE encounter effects will occur before Null.

This is not the same story as datasucker. Data sucker is a paid ability, and thus needs an ability window within the encounter in order to activate. Any “when encountered” effects will pop before you have a chance to use datasucker.

5 Likes

Sorry haha, I didn’t mean to stifle your contribution. You were right that null can kill DR. I just wanted to make sure that nobody extended that into thinking that DS can kill DR or TB before firing.

No no, it’s all good!

A quick question on timing and prevent effects – I don’t think this is complicated (and I’m not trying to overcomplicate it), but I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything about prevent effects or damage resolution.

A runner has Heartbeat (“Trash an installed card: Prevent 1 damage.”) and Reaver (“The first time you trash an installed card each turn, draw 1 card.”) installed, and no cards in grip when they access a Fetal AI. They trash 1 card (not Reaver) with Heartbeat to prevent 1 damage – presuming this is the first time they trashed an installed card this turn, they end up alive but with no cards in grip, right?

Subquery: Do you resolve the draw from Reaver before deciding whether or not to use Heartbeat a second time from a single damage source?

I’d say correct on the first one and that you can see what you draw before deciding if you want to prevent the second damage as well. Both of these are pretty much based on cascading triggers.

3 Likes

This is my understanding as well – I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything about prevention effects (and particularly “partial prevention” effects, as preventing 1 of x damage).

What happens if you have credits on Net Mercur and the corp plays Closed Accounts?

Closed Accounts makes the Runner lose all credits in his or her credit pool. Credits on Net Mercur are not in the Runner’s credit pool. Therefore, they remain.

1 Like

Note that this doesn’t extend to cards that just say “lose X credits” (without specifying credit pool). Cards like Reversed Accounts, DNA Tracker, etc.

Against such cards you would have to lose the money (from the source(s) of your choice; credit pool, Net Mercer, Ghost Runner if mid-run, etc.), up to the amount you can lose.

For example’s sake: you have 2 credits in your credit pool, 2 on Net Mercer, and 3 on a Ghost Runner. The corp hits you with a double-advanced Reversed Accounts. You would lose 4 credits; the 2 from your credit pool, and the 2 from Net Mercer. Ghost Runner is safe because it is not during a run (presumably, if they are using Reversed Accounts), so those credits cannot be “used” (as, if arcade cabinets taught me anything, something something using and losing).

TL;DR - Winners don’t do drugs.

5 Likes