Official Rules Question Thread

it’s in HQ but in neither pile. you have no chance to access it, even if you had some multi-access tools

both piles are still part of HQ, so yes, they can move any or all cards from either pile (and any returned cards) to R&D if they wish

4 Likes

I’m just gonna preemptively put this here (source):

How long does the effect of the second trace on SYNC BRE last?

Designer’s Note: Technically, as SYNC BRE is written this effect lasts until the end of the game, but it should read: “Trace2 - if successful, the Runner accesses 1 fewer card whenever he or she accesses cards for the remainder of the run.”

7 Likes

Hurray! :smiley:

2 Likes

I realize the question here has already been answered, but I’m gonna post this here so we have a source for the ruling:

When does the Runner need to decide which 3 directives Adam starts the game with?

The Runner chooses which 3 directives Adam uses after ID’s are revealed.

If Adam starts the game with Find the Truth in play, does the Runner reveal his or her starting hand to the Corp?

No. The directives start the game installed, but during set up they are not active.

4 Likes

This is more of a theoretical concern, because I don’t expect this interaction to come up in actual gameplay, but is there any weird interaction between Maya and Showing Off?

Say I have two R&D interfaces out so I naturally get to access three cards off of R&D and I play Showing Off. Two questions:

1. Am I allowed to use Maya on the bottom card? It doesn’t change the game state except for giving me a tag. I feel like the answer is yes but I’m not sure.
  2. Does using Maya screw up the order of R&D accesses? If I use Maya on the card second from the bottom, do I now have to access it again? Or would I just continue on to access the card third from the bottom?

Isnt there a card interaction where one card shuffles R&D, and it ruins Medium digs because the cards you were supposed to see arent there anymore? Maybe this fits in the same bucket.

Maya question, while we are at it. Say you run r&d and find gvt takeover, and you realize you’re gonna get punitive dead on the next turn if you steal. Can you use maya to prevent the required steal?

I’m trying to think of a way you can shuffle R&D mid access. It’s certainly not very easy to do, so I’m not sure there is a ruling.

Best I can come up with is if the runner encounters an Archangel on R&D and the Archangel fires and bounces a Muertos Gang Member to the runner’s hand, the Corp can rez something mid access that might have an effect. But I don’t think there are any on rez shuffle effects. The best I can come up with is rezzing Lily Lockwell, drawing three cards.

I imagine in that situation you would just keep accessing cards, they’d just be different cards than the ones you initially thought you were going to access.

Why not just pop Jackson in the Archangel encounter paid ability window? It’s not just the Runner’s option…

1 Like

Ah! The Foundry bouncing a Muertos Gang Member with Archangel to then rez an ice, search for another copy and then shuffle!

3 Likes

Niiice!

@Dragar came up with a much simpler solution, but I’m really happy we got there.

Actually not certain since Maya is worded in an odd way (“You may do X. If you do, take tag”). I don’t know if you qualify as having done X if X was already done for you.

I would give this a tentative yes, but could also be wrong. Unless we start seeing some clan mega-tagme decks, I doubt this will ever come up.

The existing precedent seems to imply that the importance behind why Foundry/ABT (et al.) work the way they do is because the cards being accessed are shuffled into R&D. You no longer have the ability to access to the cards, because you don’t know where they are. I would say Maya does not qualify.

EDIT: realized I just answered a different question than was even asked. I think the order is preserved in a similar manner though (it would not screw with it).

1 Like

The full answer is that yes, you can put agenda at the bottom after stealing it according to the Kala Ghoda UFAQ:

Can the Runner use Maya to add an accessed card to the bottom of R&D even after trashing or stealing it?

Yes. Maya triggers after the access has ended, so the state of the accessed card does not matter for the resolution of Maya’s effect.

But, since the Punitive Counterstrike errata, it still counts as stolen. Although you can use Maya to un-steal GFI if they are going to exchange it.

2 Likes

Huh, interesting. That also means you can Maya a QPM if you were tagged on access.

1 Like

Yup! Though if QPM is the 7th agenda point, you can’t because the game is over.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. The best uses for Maya when it was released was News Team and QPM.

PSA: I just finished going through all the new UFAQ’s. Here are two ruling reversals I’ve noticed, that I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere yet:

Blood Money UFAQ:

Data Breach
13. If a Runner with Doppelganger uses Data Breach, can he or she choose in which order their effects trigger?

Both Doppelganger and Data Breach meet their trigger condition at the same time, so the Runner chooses the order the effects trigger. Once the additional run from either effect has completed, then the other ability triggers and the Runner may initiate another run. Either (a) the Runner chooses to trigger Data Breach first, makes a run on R&D, and then makes an additional run with Doppelganger’s ability; or (b) the Runner makes an additional run with Doppelganger’s ability, and then makes an additional run on R&D after that run completes.

This is the end of the Doppel-Stimhack dream. Damon previously ruled that you only get one run.

Quorum UFAQ:

Encore
6. Can the Runner play two Encores on the same turn?

If the Runner has enough clicks to run successfully on R&D, HQ, and Archives then play two Encores, then the Runner takes two additional turns after that one.

Previously ruled by Damon that you can only get one extra turn. Both in this tweet-chain:

https://twitter.com/iLogos/status/778968201199755264

Any other reversals that others have spotted?

Also, thanks to @jakodrako for your hard work! I guess switching lead designers (further) delayed the process, but we’re all glad we have them now. :smiley:

6 Likes

Huh! Bizarre. I honestly did not think that would work.

If you play liquidation, can you use a trash action on a card durring the portion of the turn where you’re “trashing any number of your rezzed cards.”? For example, can you liquidate C.I. Fund?

You can’t trigger paid abilities during the resolution of another effect.

2 Likes

Thanks!