Official Rules Question Thread

I’m going to go with “no”, because Lukas seems to be more about exact card wordings than fixing the intent of cards. Red Herrings should’ve said something like “… even if Red Herrings was trashed during the same access step”.

I always thought “in Archives” referred only to the cards in the discard pile, not any upgrades installed there. Upgrades on centrals are installed to the root of that server, so are they considered to be in Archives/R&D/HQ? If they are, wouldn’t this then mean that the interfaces would also trigger when you access an upgrade installed on that central? Or that you could use Project Atlas to pick up an upgrade installed onto R&D? Or use Archived Memories to pick up an upgrade installed onto Archives?

6 Likes

This.

Hades Shard only lets you access the cards in the bin, not any upgrades in the root. They are two separate things.

Consequently, the question is then irrelevant because the Red Herrings can’t be trashed in this way.

8 Likes

Awesome, makes sense. Thanks guys!

Do you know if Lukas made an official rulling about Chronos Protocol VS Titanium Ribs ?
This question seems pretty tricky because CP is worded like a constant ability and TR has a “whenever” which makes it a paid ability (thus triggering after constant ability).
But in the card text one use the words “suffer damage” and the other “take damage”. So maybe we are in a situation with cascading effects…

What do you think ?

Lukas doesn’t make ruling on unreleased cards.

The consensus seems to be that it depends on priority (who’s turn it is), which I’m inclined to agree with at this point. If it’s the Corp’s turn, they choose. If it’s the Runner’s turn, they get to choose.

It does beg the question that if one side picks, does the other get a say for their trigger. We’ll have to see when the Chronos Protocol gets released.

“Taking” is synonymous with suffering, but is not used frequently and should probably not exist as a term.

Seconded. This make the most sense.

The new FAQ seems to put the Film Critic + Fetal/Sensie/TFP question to rest permanently:

Non-Resolvable Abilities: Conditional abilities resolve after meeting their trigger condition. However, if the game state advances past the trigger condition due to simultaneous effects or a chain reaction, then the triggered ability cannot be resolved.

Example: The Runner hits a Tollbooth that she can bypass with Femme Fatale. Both cards have the same trigger condition, but because it is the Runner’s turn the Femme Fatale resolves first. The ice is bypassed, and since the game state has progressed to a new step of the run, the trigger condition for Tollbooth is no longer valid and the ability to force the Runner to pay credits does not resolve.

This fits the current understanding of the game so it’s not a revelation of anything, but it seems pretty clear from this that once Film Critic hosts the agenda, the on-access triggers from the agenda won’t fire because the trigger no longer applies (Film Critic explicitly says that the agenda is no longer being accessed).

1 Like

Street Peddler: I know what it does. You host three cards on it, then as a paid ability you may install one of the three cards, reducing its cost by 1 and trashing the hosting street peddler and the other 2 hosted cards.

Does the rules framework, as written, support this. There are pedants about who suggest that when you trash the street peddler to pay the paid ability cost, you trash the stuff hosted on it and the effect can’t find what it’s looking for. I understand that position.

I know it’s obvious what’s intended to happen. But does it work if you follow the rules as written?

1 Like

Does Chameleon return to your hand before or after you’ve discarded cards due to max hand size?

After you discard down, so you can definitely end up with one extra card in hand.

3 Likes

New FAQ also supports Mumbad City Grid being a huge pain.

Approaching Ice
Ice is always approached according to the position it occupies
protecting a server, ranging from the outermost piece of
ice to the innermost piece of ice. If there is one piece of ice
protecting a server, that piece of ice is both the outermost and
the innermost piece of ice. The Runner always starts at the
outermost position during a run. After passing a piece of ice,
the Runner approaches the next most-innermost position,
even if he or she has already approached it, or there is another
piece of ice outside of that position which has not yet been
approached.

Emphasis mine, but it seems position is now the primary factor right?

1 Like

Yep and further, position counted from the outside. So if you add ICE to the server, they would have more ICE to get through, no?

One weird thing here: if they can’t break Architect and you use its subs to add ICE to Architect’s server, the runner would have to encounter Architect again, right? Since if it was first from the oustide, Architect would add another ICE to the server meaning that Architect would now be second from the outside, and thus next in line?

EDIT: neat effect in a deck where you’d have lots of ICE in your top 5 cards of RnD :wink:

1 Like

No, I think that’s wrong.

“After passing a piece of ice, the Runner approaches the next most-innermost position.”

So after passing Architect, you’ve past Architect - even if you’ve added ice to the server. Then you’d encounter the ‘next most-innermost’ (what a clumsy phrase!) piece of ice.

What about the clause “even if he/she has already approached it”?

I assume that’s if you somehow move during the encounter, meaning the ‘next most-innermost position’ is the same piece of ice you just encountered.

But it’s not clear because they talk about ‘passing a piece of ice’ and then refer to the ‘next most-innermost position’, which could be the next position after the original position you were at, or the next position after the passed piece of ice.

Yes the rules framework supports it. An ability exists independently of its source once triggered, and a trash ability resolves based on the game state before the trash. The pedants are being pedantic about a thing they don’t understand. I wish these types of rules made it into the FAQ though so that pedants could stop being pedants.

8 Likes

But say your server was:

• Architect
  • (unrezzed ice)

And they let architect fire, you place another ice on top of that server and decide to blow up the innermost ice. The server then becomes:

• (unrezzed ice #2)
  • Architect

The runner would then have to encounter the architect again, since it is in the ‘next innermost’ position from their previous encountered ice? (god the words are so clunky)

Well Lucas said:

“No. The Runner is still encountering Architect and slides to the innermost position with it.”

But if it were Crick, Ice X, Ice Y, and you trashed everything using Crick to have just Ice Z, then you encounter ice Z because you stay at that position if Crick is trashed (you’re no longer still encountering it, I guess).

“If you overwrite all 3 with Crick, then you would hit the new ice. The next FAQ clarifies that it is always by position.”

Well it depends what our position is:

is it the position where we encountered the ICE we just passed?
is it the position where we passed the ICE we just passed?

They may be different.

It’s important because the ICE we just passed may not be anywhere when we pass it! (e.g. Crick fires and trashes itself)