Official Rules Question Thread

It’s not clear is it? A consistent interpretation with Lukas’ rulings is that we continue from the position where we passed the ice we just passed. If that ice no longer exists (e.g. Crick), we’re supposed to be immediately past that ice but no further and I guess by position.

It probably has to be this way! If adding/removing ice means you get continue from past the encounter position, counting outside in, then:

Eli, Architect, [Server]

becomes after firing Architect

Enigma, Eli, Architect, [Server]

If we continue from past the second position counting inward, then yes we’d see Architect again. But the implications are far worse. Consider:

Eli, Rototurret, Archer, [Server]

After encountering Rototurret (second position), we melt it with a Parasite.

Eli, Archer, [Server]

Counting outside in, we continue from past the second position - past the Archer!

1 Like

Ugh. so basically this FAQ entry is for Mumbad city grid and I should praise Lukas.

Its not even noon yet and my head hurts.

I think the misunderstanding comes from a lack of clarity in the rulebook. I do understand the confusion. I’m of the opinion that it’s obvious how Street Peddler works, so why question it. But maybe it’s not obvious to everyone. You’re right, this stuff should go in the FAQ. I am still optimistic that one day we will get a Rules Reference Guide. Though I have no idea where that optimism stems from.

Thanks for the work you do with ANCUR @jakodrako. ANR would be even more confusing without it.

4 Likes

After you discard. If you check the turn timing chart (FAQ 2.1, p. 16, but I believe it’s unchanged since Core Rules), you get this:

2 . Runner’s Discard Phase
2.1 Discard down to maximum hand size
2.2 [paid abilities] [non-ice rez]
2.3 End of turn

It looks to me that the new FAQ covers this:

Non-Resolvable Abilities
Conditional abilities resolve after meeting their trigger condition. However, if the game state advances past the trigger condition due to simultaneous effects or a chain reaction, then the triggered ability cannot be resolved.
(FAQ 2.1, p. 3)

So, depending on whose turn it is, they get to choose the card the Runner discards, then the game state advances past the other side’s trigger.

Someone said upthread that the positions are counted from the outside in but nothing in the FAQ seems to support this. The (admittedly awkward) term “next innermost” seems to imply the opposite (and yields much more logical results in your example scenarios). So after destroying the rototurret at the 2nd innermost position, you’d advance the the first innermost position, which is Archer.

It’s the implication of this text:

“Ice is always approached according to the position it occupies
protecting a server, ranging from the outermost piece of
ice to the innermost piece of ice.”

EDIT: i guess you could argue with my interpretation of the word “ranging” there, but it seems a strong one.

It seems to me that logically “outermost-ness” (what a horrible word) ought to be measured from the outside, and “innermost-ness” from the inside.

i.e. if we assign numerical levels to innermost-ness (IMN) and outermost-ness (OMN), where 1 is greatest, then for a five-ICE server:

Level 1 OMN / Level 5 IMN
->
Level 2 OMN / Level 4 IMN
->
Level 3 OMN / Level 3 IMN
->
Level 4 OMN / Level 2 IMN
->
Level 5 OMN / Level 1 IMN
->
Server

rather than measuring both from the outside (which would suggest that the inside ICE of a five-ICE server is more innermost than the inside ICE on a two-ICE server, for instance).

3 Likes

I have a probabky dated question regarding Cyberdex Virus Suite and Datasuckers.

If, mid run, you encounter an ice with sucker tokens and fixed breakers, and the Corp wished to Rez CVS to wipe your suckers, they really can’t do it until after you’ve used your suckers.

They can’t even Rex CVS during approach, 2.1, because there’s no rez icon there, and if they rez during encounter, 2.3, you have priority on paid abilities and can suck the ice down first, right?

Myself and a lot of players and have used CVS as a big “gotcha!” when the runner encounters NEXT Gold or something, but that’s incorrect I believe.

2.3 is not the encounter step - 2.3 is the point at which the Corp can rez the ice. This is after the last point at which the Runner can jack out (and it’s also an important place for Nasir to spend his credits before he loses them, for example). The Corp can also rez CVS at this point (2.3) and fire it, as the Runner cannot interact with the ice and use Datasucker tokens until encounter (point 3.1 of a run), which is too late!

4 Likes

Oh! 3 is encounter and that’s when sucker works. Okay, thanks’

2 Likes

Just heard back from Lukas on two questions:

Mid-run installs trashing Crick work based on the position where Crick was pre-install. So with a server of
8 Grim (outermost)
7 Archer
6 Crick <— runner is here
5 Enigma
4 Bastion
3 Hunter
2 Datapike
1 Wall of Static (innermost)
if Crick installs Tollbooth trashing Crick, Enigma, and Bastion then
6 Tollbooth (outermost)
<— runner continues from here
5 Grim
4 Archer
3 Hunter
2 Datapike
1 Wall of Static (innermost)
So the runner would encounter Grim next. That’s the way I had been assuming it worked, but I asked because I had never seen an official ruling to that effect.

The other thing is that, contrary to the FAQ, Awakening Center encounters DO trigger Nasir’s ability.

5 Likes

Does the same thing apply if Crick isn’t one of the cards trashed?

No; Lukas has previously ruled that if Crick is not trashed then the runner continues from Crick.

2 Likes

I hope this situation never, ever happens in a game I’m playing, because I’m going to have a hell of a time trying to convince my opponent that this is how it officially works.

1 Like

This continues to be the worst thing ever. It would be so much more intuitive for the Runner to encounter the Hunter next.

10 Likes

This also means that if you have a server of
3 Ichi 1.0
2 Himitsu-Bako
1 Himitsu-Bako

and the corp decided to pull both Bakos to HQ when runner is approaching Bako on position 2, the runner would encounter approach Ichi again.

edit: correction

2 Likes

Bako is now considered OP

5 Likes

I don’t think it necessarily means that. The timing of when you use Bako’s ability is different from Crick’s subroutine firing, and each Bako ability activates separately as opposed to the Crick install trashing all 3 ice at the same time. I would be surprised it’s possible to pull tricks like that with Bako.

It means that (if I’m reading this correctly) when they say “continue” the corp has a paid ability window to pop Bako to hand, during 2.1, the corp pops Bako, the runner approaches WHATEVER was before it. So yes, it’s a effectively a (soft) Twins.