Official Rules Question Thread

Correct.

News just in on Media Blitz and the self-referential nature of copied text.

"Zak,

Thanks for the question. Media Blitz just gains the text box, not the title, subtypes, etc. So if you have an agenda like NAPD Contract or Private Security Force, the ability is not self-referential, as you note. Hope that helps,

Lukas Litzsinger
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
llitzsinger@fantasyflightgames.com"

replying to:

“Hiya, Just wondering when the card ‘Media Blitz’ says that it “gains the text” of an agenda in the Runner’s score area, whether this refers to: a) the text in the text box alone, b) all text on the card (including title, type, subtype, agenda points and so on)? It is particularly pertinent whether or not it gains the title of agenda, since this will determine whether or not any text which was self-referential on the agenda remains self-referential when copied to ‘Media Blitz’. For instance, “As an additional cost to steal NAPD Contract, the Runner must pay 4 credits” is self-referential while on ‘NAPD Contract’. If copied to ‘Media Blitz’ and ‘Media Blitz’ also gains the title “NAPD Contract”, it will still be self-referential. If ‘Media Blitz’ doesn’t gain the title “NAPD Contract” that phrase will no longer be self-referential and ought instead to refer to any copy of ‘NAPD Contract’. Many thanks in advance, Zak”

What does this mean?

When copied by Media Blitz:

• Any “when scored” ability for a copied agenda triggers twice (Accelerated Beta Test install, Astroscript Pilot Program token, Bifrost Array trigger, Braintrust tokens, Breaking News tags, Character Assassination trash, Clone Retirement bad pub removal, Corporate War credit loss/gain, Director Haas Pet Project server creation, Efficiency Committee tokens, Encrypted Portals credits, Executive Retreat token, Firmware Updates tokens, Genetic Resequencing token, Geothermal Fracking tokens, Helium-3 Deposit power counters, High-Risk Investment tokens, Hostile Takeover money/bad pub, House of Knives tokens, Labyrinthine Servers tokens, License Acquisition install, Nisei Mk. II tokens, Priority Requisition rez, Profiteering bad pub/money, Project Ares trashing/bad pub, Project Atlas tokens, Project Beale tokens, Project Vitruvius tokens, Project Wotan tokens, Superior Cyberwalls credits, The Future is Now search, Unorthodox Predictions type choice, Veterans Program bad pub removal, Vulcan Coverup meat damage).

• Any “when accessed” ability for a copied agenda triggers twice (Award Bait advancements, Clone Retirement bad pub addition, Explode-a-palooza credits, Fetal AI damage, TGTBT tag, The Future Perfect psi-game).

• Any “when stolen” ability for a copied agenda triggers twice (Clone Retirement bad pub addition, Vulcan coverup bad pub).

• Ongoing effects for a copied agenda count double (Braintrust rez reduction per token, Breaking News end of turn tag loss, Fetal AI steal tax, Global Food Initiative agenda point reduction for the Runner, Hollywood Renovation advancements, Medical Breakthrough cost reduction, NAPD steal tax/bad pub modification, Oaktown Renovation credits, Project Beale agenda points per token, Underway Renovation trashing).

• You can’t forfeit a Media Blitz copying a False Lead.

• Media Blitz copying a Private Security Force does nothing.

Bring on the Project Beale jank: double tokens, double points per token!

1 Like

I don’t think any of this is true.

Since card text is self referential, when you score a copy of, say, Beale with 5 advancement tokens on it, the one you score gets a counter since the text on the scored card says that this specific card gets one. However, if I have a Beale that’s already scored I don’t just throw 2 counters on the new Beale, even though the old one is still active since it’s in my score area. Media Blitz has 100% the same text as the one in my score area; why would it work differently?

Edit: I think that in order for it to work as you are describing, the card would have to say something like “Whenever you score a copy of Project Beale…” instead of it’s current wording.

1 Like

Apparently because the Media Blitz copy is not self referential. Because it does not refer to itself, it refers to every copy of a card it mentions by name.

I’m not saying this is how it works, I’m just saying that’s what can be implied by Lukas’s response…

Hm, okay, I could see that. I’d feel more comfortable if there was further clarification my Lucas, but that makes more sense now.

Yeah, I’d also like to read Lucas saying “Yes, it costs 8c to steal an NAPD if it’s targeted by Media Blitz”. Just to be sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

More news! A follow-up e-mail in my inbox:

"Zak,

Wanted to follow-up on this, since I see that what you are getting at is that if you Media Blitz an NAPD Contract, then all other NAPD’s would be 8 credits to steal. This is not the case because while the ability cannot be used on the Media Blitz since the titles do not match, the ability does not specify “copies of NAPD Contract.” So the ability is technically self-referential because it just uses the title of the card, even though it is not self-referential because Media Blitz is not the self in question.

Hope that helps, sorry for any confusion."

So it seems like references to single card titles (i.e. not “copies of”) that aren’t self-referential don’t mean anything at all! It seems an odd way to have specified self-referential effects in the rules as ones relating to the same card title if that’s the case, but there you go.

9 Likes

After a whirlwind of crazy rulings, I’m glad at least this one makes sense and works as expected. Phew.

9 Likes

Thank god. that was about to be just way too crazy. I feel like this card still has a lot of fun applications

So to compile a list of agendas this works with:
Mandatory Upgrades
Self-Destruct Chips
Sentinel Defense Program
Ancestral Imager
Encrypted Portals (+str part)
Medical Breakthrough
Improved Tracers
Rebranding Team
Restructured Datapool
Government Contracts
Government Takeover
Superior Cyberwalls (+str part)
The Cleaners
Eden Fragment
Gila Hands Arcology
Hades Fragment
Utopia Fragment

That should be all…unless I missed something. :smile:

2 Likes

I think ManUp is probably the best application. It’s the most powerful effect for the lowest agenda point cost for losing it, and inherently helps you catch back up if you can use it to FA more points.

3 Likes

ManUp ain’t so hot anymore with Clot around. But you’re probably still right. I think in the right deck Improved Tracers or Restructured Datapool could also be a pain…maybe Rebranding Team too (with that Media Blitz thing…). No inf needed in NBN either.

It looks pretty good if you’re running Medical Breakthrough too. If the Runner steals the first one and you Media Blitz it, you can score the second one from hand.

1 Like

Question: If I have a single-advanced Changeling with at least one Sub Boost on it, is it a barrier?

Yes. They ruled that cards can have the same subtype multiple times, so if you put Sub Boost on a barrier it has two barrier subtypes. Advancing Changling once just removes one of those subtypes.

5 Likes

I think the best thing Media Blitz gets you is support for the fragments. Feed them to the Runner then get their effect much more easily!

1 Like

[quote=“RTsa, post:886, topic:1437”]
ManUp ain’t so hot anymore with Clot around
[/quote]Nooope. Sorry, the FA potential is just a small part of what makes ManUp great to score.

Wipe viruses without losing the rest of your turn. Do the same with Melange. Easier Jackson digging. If you must click for credits get more out of the turn. Load ITD much faster so as to keep it safe longer. Score 4/2s without an initial advance. And so on.

5 Likes

Having played a significant number of games with HB decks focused on scoring out a Mandatory Upgrades, it is just about the most powerful agenda you could possibly score early, and now, Media Blitz lets you get the effect without having to score it as early as your second turn.

Permanent sources of extra clicks have the potential to be hideously powerful over a long game, hence why they are all either expensive or have other drawbacks (see Rachel Beckman or Director Haas).

2 Likes

it’s also typically very easy to plow through Clots with ManUp, since you should probably be packing some advance-able decoys in a deck going this route- cerebrals in cybernetics or AggSec in EtF.

3 Likes

Question: Does datasucker help prey?

I guess not, but an ICE may be passed before the encounter with it is over. I couldn’t figure this out from looking at the run timing chart. It doesn’t specify when an ICE is passed (after 3.2 but still during the encounter or at 4.1?).

Answer (figured out on UK Netrunners group on Facebook) datasucker doesn’t help. Pass is defined as after the encounter or approach step if the run continues. At which point datasucker stops reducing the strength of the ICE. (Get your Bishops out folks).

1 Like