Official Rules Question Thread

What @GreedyGuts said. AFAIK Origami is the only card in the game to use the “for each copy of CARDNAME” language, and that’s what is required to make it compound that way.

1 Like

question about priority:
runner had personal workshop with something there. corp double advance reverse accounts, then in third click he want to rez it and fire its ability. is runner able to spend credits for personal workshop (after rez, before ability fires)? if yes, when and why priority is passed back to runner?

thanks for clarifying that

Yes, the runner can spend their credits. Between each click ability, there is a window for both the runner and the corp to rez cards and use paid abilities not requiring a click. Whoever’s turn it has the first priority to take as many actions as they please before giving the opportunity to their opponent.

In this case, priority is not really relevant. Basically, there is a step in between click two and three where the reversed accounts is rezzed and where you can spend money on Workshop. Because this window happens between the second and third click, the runner has the chance to respond to the rezzing of Accounts with Workshop before the corp has the opportunity to take any click action.

2 Likes

“Cannot” trumps “can” in all cases, right?

We were wondering about Cyber Threat against RP. Could the runner play it to go to a remote server (if the corp doesn’t rez)? Or would the options for the corp be “rez or not, doesn’t matter?”

Also wondering in the context of Offer You Can’t Refuse – can the runner choose to run on a remote server in RP on the corp’s turn if the corp asks, or is the point gain automatic?

Rather irrelevant since the Corp chooses and their choice MUST be a central server.

As far as Cyber Threat question goes, I believe you are right on the “rez or not, doesn’t matter?” train of thought.

1 Like

Another "question I think I know the answer to, but want to check again just to be sure.

Fester + Ixodidae – do you get the money from Ixodidae they lose to Fester? I’m assuming not, since they wipe on their turn and can choose the order of triggers, but otherwise I’m completely failing to see Ixodidae’s use.

Both triggers are controlled by the runner, so any triggers the corp gets would happen first, but the runner gets to order them. Ixodidae still seems pretty bad though.

So if the Runner makes a successful run in the Corp’s turn via “Offer You Can’t Refuse”, could he immediately run again using “Doppelganger”? I’m not seeing anything on either card that forbids it.
It would totally suck for Replicating Perfection to have their scoring remote raided in their own turn :wink:

3 Likes

Which you could spend on breaking a subroutine on a bioroid?

Weird!

The first time you install a program from your grip during your turn

5 Likes

Can someone clarify upgrades with the region keyword? Is it ok to install and not rez multiple regions in the same server? I thought it was, but my opponent questioned it yesterday and looking at the rules:

Note: The Corporation can only have one upgrade with the
region subtype installed per server or server root, as listed in
the text box of these cards.

(emphasis mine)

I guess you can’t. Are card subtypes active when unrezzed?

1 Like

Ignore previous post. I was entirelly incorrect.

From the FAQ:

“Subtypes
A card has all of its subtypes when it is inactive.”

2 Likes

Well that is certainly new… when did it appear in the FAQ?

It must have been there a long time. This is why cards like Special Order or Djinn work - how else can you tutor an “Icebreaker” or “Virus” if they don’t have that subtype when inactive?

2 Likes

There’s a difference between “in the deck” and “installed, unrezzed” though. One of the states is clearly not in play, the other one is… sorta nebulous?

Now that I think about it, doesn’t stuff get even trickier? Get this:

An unrezzed SanSan has the region subtype (as per FAQ), but as long as there are no rezzed regions anywhere, the rule of “Limit one region per server” isn’t actually in the game, is it? After all, unrezzed cards are “inactive” (as per Rulebook) and even though they have all their subtypes, their game text isn’t active (if it were, nobody would ever bother to rez Hokusais).

From that it would follow that you can actually have multiple regions installed in one server, as long as none of them are actually rezzed. As soon as you rez any regions, however (even on a completely different server), the restriction comes into play and the board state shifts from legal into illegal by virtue of a completely legal action.

Am I wrong somewhere, or this a valid line of reasoning?

3 Likes

You could argue the FAQ rules text on the Region subtype applies even if there is no rezzed region. But that might be a weak argument given its referring to card text.

1 Like

@PeekaySK Am I wrong somewhere, or this a valid line of reasoning?

It is stated in p 13 of the rulebook, that you can have only one upgrade with the region subtype installed per server or server root.

2 Likes

Huh… how did I miss that? :smiley: So it’s a rule and the text on the card is just a reminder. Gotcha.

1 Like

So here’s a fun one. The runner makes a run into a server protected by 2 wormholes, both rezzed, and cannot break the subroutine. These are the only rezzed pieces of ICE the Corp has. What happens? Neither the corp or the runner can end the infinite loop. The rules say that the corp has to end an infinite loop they start (i.e. a server protected only by a free to rez cell portal and whirlpool), and likewise for the runner, but in this case, it is the rulebook creating the loop as a runner cannot jackout mid-ICE encounter, and the corporation cannot choose to not execute an encountered ICE subroutine.

While I’m on the topic of infinite loops not controlled by a single player, what happens if the corp loops Toshiyuki Sakais, as the length of the loop depends on active choices at each step by both players?

2 Likes

The FAQ says

If an infinite loop is created, the player responsible for the loop
must choose a number. The loop instantaneously resolves that
many times, and then ends. The Runner must jack out to end
an infinite loop that occurs during a run, unless a card ability
prevents that from occurring. If the Runner cannot jack out,
then it is the Corp’s responsibility to end the loop by letting the
Runner through to the server.

In the wormhole case it is a bit ambiguous what happens. Is the corp “responsible” for the loop? In Magic this sort of situation means the game ends in a draw (e.g. the triple Faceless Butcher loop). I think this is a question for Lukas.

In the Toshiyuki Sakai case I don’t think it’s actually an infinite loop, since the corp could always choose to swap in a non-Toshiyuki card and the runner could always choose not to access the new card. I would bet that that still holds even if it’s not possible for the corp to swap in a non-Toshiyuki card (e.g. the corp only has 1 card in hand). So my conclusion is that the corp can keep the loop going for as long as they feel like and it’s on the runner to end the loop by choosing not to access the new card.

1 Like