Official Rules Question Thread

guessed as much, I’ll have to make some janky combo that will never work

1 Like

Panic Button, draw whole deck except 1 card.
Return IQ to hand… & draw last card
Reuse for creds if you need them…
Combo Off… (if a jackson is already in play, then accelerated diagnostics can rear its ugly head again with another combo)

Triple biotic that Hades Shard, right?

2 Likes

Deus X’s wording has always confused me. Suppose the runner has Deus X and accesses a Fetal AI against J:PE. Is it possible to score the Fetal AI and and use Deus X to prevent both the 2 damage from Fetal AI and the 1 damage from J:PE? My guess is no. What if the runner has one agenda scored and J:PE scores a Philotic Entanglement? Is it possible to prevent both the Philotic Entanglement damage and the J:PE damage? My guess is yes.

Similarly: if I have one Feedback Filter and If I don’t break any subroutines on a Heimdall 2.0, is it possible to use the FF to prevent the brain damage from both subroutines? My guess is no.

Deus X prevents all damage from one source. With that in mind, let’s examine.

Your guess is correct - two different damage sources.

Your guess is incorrect - two different damage sources.

Your guess is correct - two different damage sources.

(how’s that for a varied response, eh?)

Why only from one source? It doesn’t say that on the card.

Because it prevents “any amount of net damage”. Because it doesn’t give an end point (like “until the end of this turn”) it doesn’t extend beyond the one action. And because it’s a prevent effect, you stop A thing happening with Deus X, but not more than one (because each happens separately, and you cannot prevent something that already happened).

In other words, if it seems like people should be able to Deus X all the damage from seeing AND scoring Fetal, it’s because they’re doing it wrong. You take 2 net damage (that can be prevented), and then take 1 (that can be prevented) afterward. Same with Philotic – It deals damage from its text when scored, and then for being a scored agenda in PE.

Fetal AI makes sense because the two sources of damage happen at two different times. But with Philotic both of the damage sources are triggering off the same source. So the magic player in me thinks “they both go on the stack, and then Deus X can prevent them both (since it says any amount)”. But I guess in Netrunner there’s no stack and it’s “we’re resolving the Philotic trigger, do you want to use Deus X?” -> “we’re resolving the J:PE trigger, do you want to use Deus X”.

1 Like

Precisely. The N points of damage come from PE’s effect, the last point of damage comes from PE’s effect (which just happened to get triggered by the fact that corp scored their PE).

(I bet that cleared it right up :P)

3 Likes

Just so! Would be nice if they were clearer and specified from one source, for sure.

But even with Philotic, they actually trigger separately, even if it’s the same cause. Not sure if corp gets to pick the order of the damage or not as with other simultaneous triggers, but each is resolved completely before moving on to the next (or other things).

disagree. this way why not extend prevent effect for other turns? it written ‘any’ but not ‘at the same turn’ :stuck_out_tongue: it’s all hidden inside ‘prevent’ definition in the rulebook.

1 Like

You may only invoke one event on a trigger. Which seems relatively clear in the positive. Or maybe its clear in all cases and I’m just fuzzy headed.

Suppose you queens gambit a snare. This applies a “you can not access” condition on the snare.
If you subsequently deploy bankjob and then run - Bankjob, bank job has a “on successful run” as a trigger condition. Can you bank job the snare, at that point.

Queen’s Gambit creates a static ability that lasts for a turn. Bank Job creates a triggered ability. No reason why they wouldn’t work together and let you get your 8c for not accessing the Snare.

Bank Job replaces the entire access phase, which happens before you check if there are even any cards you can access (you can bank job an empty server with ice protecting it), so the contents of the server and what you can or cannot do with those contents is irrelevant.

4 Likes

is it possible to rez dedicated response team after runner access snare, but before run ends, so that meat damage is applied?

if snare is in remote i know i may rez drt after access is declared so that there is no time for jackout. unsure how that works in case of r&d access where i dont know what cards will come.

The latest you can rez it is at 4.3. This is after they decide to not jack out, but before the actual access.

3 Likes

No, it’s not possible.

If the snare is installed, or for some reason you know/think it likely the runner will access one from R&D (yagura, shiro, precog, architect) or HQ (legwork?) then you can Rez DRT after the runners last chance to jack out (4.3). However once the runner has accessed cards, the window for rezzing has passed.

2 Likes

Does Zona Sul Shipping trigger for each installed version? For instance if I had 2 Zona Sul installed would I place 2 on each at the beginning of my turn? Kind of how Origami compounds it’s effect.

It does, but each is self-referential only. So you put 1 on each of them no matter how many you have.

2 Likes