Official Rules Question Thread

Speaking of Queen’s Gambit - does the “you cannot access the card this turn” mean that you also cannot fire off replacement effects like Exploratory Romp (heh)?

I’m guessing the answer is “no” (because in my mind, that would happen with a “you cannot access the server” wording, otherwise stuff gets weird re: accessing upgrades), but I’m curious whether there’s a ruling or something.

I think your reading is correct: the “accessing cards” step of the run still happens (and gets replaced), it’s just that when you run normally and access cards you don’t get to access the gambit’ed card.

1 Like

When the corp installs a card with Architect’s first subroutine, does the runner get to know which card it was? That is, whether it was the top card of R&D as opposed to the 4th?

That’s open information, so yes. Same with precog and that jinteki ice i don’t know the name of. They woudn’t know the name of the card ofc

Architect’s first sub doesn’t say “put them back in any order”, so what, the corp has to put the cards in the very same order as they were? That would mean that playing against Architect would require the runner to be extra caferul and pay extra attention to the corp’s hands. Not very pleasant.

What do you mean? The corp isn’t allowed to shuffle those cards, so I don’t really see a problem. But which of the 5 cards he picks to install, that’s information the runner is allowed to have.

As a runner, I have to watch closely to make sure that the corp doesn’t accidently (or not) change the order of cards he puts back on top of R&D. Some people might do it by accident, 'cause they’re more used to Indexing/Precognition, while some others might use this opportunity to cheat if the opponent is not paying enough attention.

You really have one scumbag of a meta out there then, if you HAVE to watch every move of you opponent.

I’m from Russia, remember? We’re all bastards here.

5 Likes

Can a runner trigger SMC and not find a program?

This came up in a recent tournament a runner wanted to avoid the 3 cost of tollbooth by triggering SMC before encounter. The difference being he new he had no programs to install.

First question is it legal to use smc to get a shuffle avoid the toll? The faq would seem to say it is.

Search
If a player is searching for a card, he must find the card, if able.
If a player is unable to fulfill the condition of the search, then
nothing happens, but the deck is always reshuffled.

Second- What happens if a player smc’s but cannot find/afford to install a program? Is smc trashed? Does the runner spend 2?

I believe you must find something if you are able to (which I think is a dumb rule…). You can definitely fail to find if you have no targets, but I can’t imagine the game state would rewind if you had programs you could find but couldn’t afford. So my guess is you can dodge the toll only if you have no programs that cost $1 or $2.

This is perfectly fine and a really good way of avoiding the tollbooth tax. Tollbooth taxes on encouter, but the runner has a window before this happens. In this window you can use your programs(boost corroder strength for example), use raymond flint etc. SMC can be activated in the same window.

Now comes the tricky part. Let’s assume you do have programs in your stack(which seems like a good assumption, as smc itself is a program), but you do not have the credits to install it after paying for smc. The corp doesn’t know you can’t install anything, so he/she has to trust the runner in this. I think your smc fires and whiffs, as as soon as you activate smc the boardstate changes(trash clause), and the board ‘doesn’t know smc was there’.

1 Like

Forged Activation Orders on an unrez’d Architect with corp on three credits. Does Architect ‘cannot be trashed while installed’ trump since it is ‘while installed’ and not ‘while rezzed’?

If architect isn’t face up, its text isn’t active, so fao can kill the ice.

Is there a quick and dirty rule for determining what text applies on a facedown card and what doesn’t? For instance, Ice Wall has the trait “this card can be advanced,” and Architect has the trait “can’t be trashed while installed.” Why is it that one applies while the card is unrezzed and the other doesn’t?

1 Like

Advancing is a special action. From the rules:

Note: If a card’s text box says that the card can be advanced, the
card can be advanced even when the card is unrezzed.

2 Likes

Is there a rule in tournament rules/faq/core set rules that says a corp must/should reveal all face down cards at the end of the game? If so, can you let me know where to find it. I was not able to find any official word on this subject.

I do not think there is such a rule.

Maybe I missed the answer on the following question somewhere:

IQ’s rez cost is 0 and is increased by one for every card in HQ.

Question:
Blue sun, IQ on hq, panic button in hq. Runner runs IQ, I rez for 5(Assuming 5 cards in hand), after the runner breaks, I rez panic button and drop all my money in drawing cards, lets say 20. The beginnning of my turn, I want to take IQ back(and have 25 cards in hand).

Do I gain 0,5 or 25 credits?

Blue Sun says you gain the rez cost of IQ. IQ’s rez cost is the number of cards in hand. You have 25 cards in hand. So you gain 25.