Official Rules Question Thread

I have wondered that myself. My guess is that the corp is not obligated to tell the runner, but someone should ask Lukas.

There’s a ruling with Architect where the Corp must tell the runner which they installed, so I’d assume it’s the same with DBS.

The difference here is that DBS says “draw one additional card” whereas architect says “look at the top 5”

even though the DBS cards are in limbo until you choose which to keep and which to bury, I’d say that because they are both part of your hand (they have been “drawn”) they are not open knowledge, and could be shuffled with each other like any part of HQ.

This might not be how it works, but I don’t think the architect ruling applies here.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s actually a good point. Hope for a ruling soon!

Ok, so this one won’t come up for a while, but hypothetically:
You have a blackguard installed, and you use driveby on an unrezzed asset, does the corporation have to rez the asset before it’s trashed?

1 Like

I would say yes but then I’m not sure whether the asset still gets trashed.

I believe so, yes. I’m still not sure that it makes Blackguard playable though.

Also, regarding DBS, this is why I dislike cards like this being worded as “draw” effects, as technically since you draw both of them, you could shuffle them in with the rest of your hand before choosing the one to put down, which seems rather cheaty?

If they would have just worded the card better, then it wouldn’t be an issue. Just have it say: “Before the first time each turn you would draw a card, look at the top 2 cards of R&D and put one on the bottom.” But then again, that’s my only real gripe with Netrunner. Their phrasing and templating are…less than desirable at times haha

Edit: Regarding the Blackguard and Drive By…I believe this works just fine. You play Drive By, it exposes a card. Blackguard triggers, and they have to pay its rez cost if able. Then Drive Bys trash effect occurs. I think the interaction with Drive By and Zaibatsu Loyalty is funnier though, as it technically requires a 3rd party to verify whether or not it should be trashed.

1 Like

Driveby doesn’t say unrezzed, and when it was targetted, it was not rezzed and therefore exposed, so it’s a pretty easy assumption that it’d be rezzed.

making the sansan player lose 6 for throwing out a sansan is pretty big, might be worth it if you can fit other passive econ into criminal

misread the reply.

sounds like it would force a rez, then a trash.

To go slightly off topic, the problem with Blackguard isn’t so much the 11 credits. I mean you could build a criminal deck that could afford it, no problem. The problem is that you’re giving up on Desperado/Doppelganger/Logos/etc. to play it.

2 Likes

“Expose” can only target unrezzed cards unless otherwise specified (per page 22 of the core rules). So Drive-by implicitly refers to unrezzed cards only.

Yes, and when it was targeted, it was unrezzed, that would be why the blackguard works. The card has already been exposed, so the rest of the effect would play out normally

Blackguard is more than playable. There are some seriously evil, very very strong blackguards decks out there.

Really? I keep trying to mess around with Blackguard but I can’t ever seem to find something really solid with it.

play stealth andy with blackguard and snitch, the only downside to it is that you don’t get to install desperados

I’m confused with the timing of damage prevention cards like net shield, Deus ex, and feedback filter. There is no stack, so my understanding is that they cannot prevent damage caused by operations (neural emp). Is there any timing window to prevent damage after accessing a snare or advanced cerebral overwriter?

I have a question about upcoming cards.
Beach party reads:
When your turn begins, lose a click.
Your maximim hand size is increased by 5.
Is the second ability dependant on the first? Do I only get the hand size if I lose the click?
Or can I install Beach Party, Play Game Day to refill my increased hand and then sell it to Aesop’s without ever losing a click?

My understanding is that beach party contains two different clauses. One (increasing hand size) comes to play immediately. The other (losing a click) begins at the start of your next turn. So no, they are not dependent on each other.

I do believe your scenario would work, since you can choose the order the effects come into play. Choose Aesop to resolve first, then beach party never triggers

6 Likes

Rule of thumb is check the lines, if they’re on separate lines they’re separate effects

3 Likes

Page 21 of the rulebook:

Some card abilities use the words “prevent” or “avoid.” Prevent or avoid effects are the only effects which can disrupt another effect. A prevent or avoid effect states what it is preventing or avoiding, and an effect that is prevented or avoided is not resolved. Prevent or avoid effects can be triggered whenever the effect they are preventing or avoiding is resolving.

4 Likes