Official Rules Question Thread

Does anyone have access to the store championship TO handout? I heard that you could only get one superbye this year and i would like confirmation. Couldn’t find it on FFG.

1 Like

If troll is chummed does does an unbroken chum fire when encountering troll? I’m saying yes due to all = none rulings.

Blackguard

Driveby

I agree that they’d be forced to rez than trash. The expose would trigger blackguard. Nested triggers and whatnot. But then there’s no requirement for the card to still be unrezzed for the trash to occur, so the trash would happen. imo, anyways.

FAQ someday, probably.

2 Likes

Troll has no subroutines, so when you pass Troll you are considered to have broken all subroutines (all includes zero, as you noted). So Chum would not fire, as you have broken all subroutines (which includes this case of zero subroutines). This is the same as running through Chum into Komainu with 0 cards in hand: Chum would not fire.

If you bypass Troll with Femme, then Chum would fire (see the Femme/Komainu ruling) - when you bypass ice, subroutines are not broken.

2 Likes

That’s nasty. I like it a lot.

When drive-by comes out (if draft was any indication), there won’t be anything left unrezzed in a server anymore. :wink:

Unless there’s expose protection in your deck… (Zaibatsu Loyalty/Psychic Field)

A better question, that I don’t know the answer to is what happens if you loyalty a card they’re trying to expose?

It would not be exposed and thus couldn’t be trashed since it is not clearly and asset or upgrade.

2 Likes

You’d think. But the rules could force it to be trashed face down if the type matches. And then the weird rule that you prove cards are the type that they are when trashing them face down (say due to restore face) would cause you to show it to your opponent anyways. Which makes my head hurt o_O. Because cards have types even if they are face down.

Will need a FAQ entry.

5 Likes

Question about Builder, an ice from Order and Chaos. Can I use its subroutines to place advancement tokens on ice that normally must be rezzed in order to be advanced (such as Woodcutter) without having to rezz them? Based on the previous ruling on Shipment from Sansan and Efficiency Committee, I would think this would be the case.

No, because until Woodcutter is rezzed it cannot “be advanced”, making it an invalid target for Builder’s subroutines.

1 Like

I’d say those two situations differ in who the burden of proof (so to speak) is on:

• in Restoring Face, the trashing of an exec is a cost of an effect. So, if you claim to have paid that cost with a card where your opponent can’t really check, he’s fully entitled to say “show me how exactly you paid that” and that’s why you’re revealing who exactly commited seppuku
  • In Drive-By, on the other hand, the trashing would basically be the result of hitting an asset/upgrade with the card. So, the opponent drives by, you prevent him from seeing what he hit, and then tell him “show me why I should trash this”. He can’t, so the card stays

That’s how I would tend to think about it anyway, but… what evil lurks in the mind of Lukas? Only Lukas knows.

2 Likes

If prevent stops the whole card, then fine. If it only stops the expose, then we know the card still has types and then I’m not sure it’s a burden of proof issue at all.

Truth.

Maybe it’ll get errata’d like pawn.

I agree. With IT Department and more complicated interaction like this, I wish they would publish a mini-FAQ with each pack that explains how each more complicated card is supposed to work and give examples. If anyone plays Dominion, I’d like something like their rulebook, where they provide a more detailed explanation of the cards and gives examples of how it works. This would somewhat ease the burden of having the perfectly clear and precise language (which we know they cannot do every time) on a tiny rectangle of the cardboard.

2 Likes

Drive By isn’t technically released. It’s in a draft pack, but not legal for non-draft events. But I agree that the FFG-ANR-FAQ is more responsive than pro-active.

Right, I knew that. The idea was more spawned by the whole IT Department clarification on Twitter debacle. This is just another case where it would be very useful. They print new interactions, which is great, but it’s difficult to convey that in the limited space they have available on the card. A larger document that at least describes the intended use would be very helpful.

I’m working on a pseudo-code version of ANR’s rules because I really wish one existed already.

2 Likes

When running archives with Eater (for example, against Industrial Genomics) do the facedown cards still flip, even though you’re not accessing more than zero?

Yes; turning cards face up happens during the access step but before any accessing takes place. Then the runner decides which order to access the cards they are allowed to access. See Hudson 1.0 and Ash rulings.

3 Likes

Thanks, wasn’t sure if it was different when accessing zero rather than one. So Eater is great against Genomics!

1 Like

it’ll be… decent. the ID ability is essentially a tax, which you will end up paying for anyways by repeatedly breaking an eli for 4 or something. you get to avoid shocks and shi.kyus, but on the other hand a lot of eater decks will be trashing most of their scoring opportunities (keyhole, wanton, etc.) and thus needing to access archives anyways, which simply give IG extra cause to ice up.

1 Like