Official Stimhack Netrunner Mentor Program Updated With Pairings! Now with a tournament!

I am sooooo up for this! this is exactly what I need :smile:

Role: Mentee
Time zone:GMT, London Baby!
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes
Area where you think you need to improve. Runners generally, I would like to play around, and choose a runner which I really enjoy, and then stick with them at get good with them. but I dont know who to pick yet!

1 Like

Time zone: Pacific (US)
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes/No
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: I need help with everything! I love the game, but I lose most of the time. I would most like help with understanding my opponentā€™s strategy and how to respond. I also need some support in the whole math of Netrunner and how to assess what I can and canā€™t do. Mostly, though, I want to be aggressive while understanding when/how to be defensive. I am also interested in the process of deck building, as I would like to stop net decking and bring some original and perhaps unexpected thinking to my games.

I can easily do:
Google Hangouts
I have a Mac, so no OCTGN, only jinteki.net

Thanks!

1 Like

Role: Student
Time zone: US MST (GMT-7)
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: General Better running. Start of real deck crafting, not just building off net decks. I love glacier and weyland stuff. I enjoy crazy combos and silly stuff, but want to get better as 3 communities in my area are starting to run tourneyā€™s regularly.

1 Like

Role: Student.

Time zone: Gmt +1 (Stockholm)

Area where you think you need to improve: Pretty new player, want to get better at playing and be better at deck building.

2 Likes

I guess Iā€™m the first person to register as both a mentor and a student. While I feel confident in teaching, I would love to expand my toolkit and understand the game from new perspectives. I feel there is much I could learn from expert players in this community.

Time zone: (US EST GMT -05:00)
Good times for me are evenings after 7:00pm as well as Wednesday afternoons.

Areas where Iā€™d like to improve: Advanced Glacier/Foodcoats/RP, Advanced Criminal, Advanced Kate, and lesser played archetypes at an advanced level. (PE, IG, Adam, etcā€¦)

Edit: I posted this when I didnā€™t realize you would be pairing people, feel free to skip this so pros can teach people who may need it more. I just wanted to throw this out here because I really enjoy playing in this way. Thatā€™ll teach me to try to skim posts on my phone :wink:

Role: Student / Mentee
Time zone: GMT / UK / England / that small place over the water to most of you
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:
Generally need to take the next step. Need coaching when to be agressive and when to step back and build the board for runner for instance, and similar for corp (identifying windows when to push agends/assets etc and when to step back and go defensive)
Somewhere near capable, but my very poor showing in the jinteki.net stimhack league so far suggest iā€™ve got a long way to go to get to the same level as tournament regulars.

Role: Student / Mentee
Time zone: PST (Seattle)
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:
I donā€™t think that Iā€™m particularly good, generally would just appreciate feedback from and conversation with a competitive player. I think that I make a lot of mistakes that accumulate, and Iā€™d like to get confident enough to compete locally in a pretty competitive meta (and online). Can play on OCTGN or jinteki.net.

Sounds good!

Time zone: Eastern Time (US)
Area where you think you need to improve: Making the right board-state calls: when to run (and not run) and what could that unrezzed asset/upgrade be?

Also, when/how to dig. Too many times I hesitate at digging for what I need and ditching cards I want for later, then Iā€™m too slow setting up and the game is lost.

Awesome to click on some of the student posts and see theyā€™re new accounts! I think itā€™s going to be awesome for the community to get some folks plugged into the resources available here on stimhack.com

3 Likes

Time zone: GMT
Voice chat: regular user of Skype, Discord, Teamviewer. Jinteki is my only available software.
Areas I want to improve: overall game sense, but Iā€™d really like to tune a couple of decks until I have a reliable deck for each side which I can take to game nights and the like, ones which I can then practise with until Iā€™m really good at them. Pref criminal (turntableela) and HB (waldemar is my favourite) but itā€™s not important to me that I stay with those specifically.

@Asclepius Sorry if this is a dumb question but itā€™s a little hard to tell from the OP:
Are you actually pairing people or is this more of a list for people to PM each other based on time zones/needs?

Weā€™ll wait like a week and then PM pairings out to people, also post a list here. After you get your partner, then you talk w/ them to determine meeting times.

1 Like

Role: Both!
Time Zone: EST (GMT -5:00)
Voice Chat: Yes

Mentor: General strategy, matchups, playing around/with cards (e.g. Clot, Midseasons, Siphon). NBN Fastro, HB FA, Jinteki Glacier (RP, IG, TI), PE Kill. Noise, Stealth (Hayley/Kit/Kate/Andy), Stimshop. Healthy portions of jank

Student: Butchershop, Combo Shutdown, Non-PE Jinteki Kill, Supermodernism, Titan FA. Gabe, Leela, Reg-Ass MaxX, Nasir

Currently can only Jinteki.net

1 Like

Time zone: -6 GMT. Mainly free on Monday evenings.

I am an intermediate player who started playing earlier this Spring. My best results have been going 7-3 at the Icebreaker tournament at FFG Worlds 2015 (enough to get 8th Place), Top 8 at an ANRPC GLC Qualifier event and 2nd at my last LGS league.

My approach to the game is fairly ass backwards, to put it bluntly, even though I only play regular decks. I would like to learn how to play both sides normally so that when I pick up a new deck I can play those decks in accordance to how the community constructs their decks as a form of reference. I donā€™t plan on discarding my style of play anytime soon but would love to expand my horizons.

I can only play concrete runner decks like Apocalypse MaxX well mainly because the decision the tree is narrower, thus heavily pushed. I do perform better with PPVP Kate which is somewhat similar to the Apocalypse MaxX deck but still allows a greater scope for creativity (or more forgiving of mistakes in this case) which is probably why I would do better with that deck than the mentioned MaxX deck. I am much worse with dynamic decks like Andy Sucker and Reg Ass Anarch but have a strong affinity for those decks.

My Corp is more free form which I assume stems from the fact that I probably made mistakes earlier therefore must justify them over the course of that game. I was told I handle Corp better than I handle Runner but I think I can only play Kate somewhat competently as well as NEH and RP which have so much upside when scoring an agenda that mistakes I have made are immediately made up.

The areas in which I am experienced in are Corp decks that utilize concrete processes. So decks that usually win via checkmate such as HB FA and RP Glacier or rush-down decks like NEH FA. Have some experience with kill decks like Supermodernism BS, Jinteki PE and NEH Butchershop but can further continue this study on my own. Played many forms of Glacier decks but am still inexperienced in identifying board states when not playing decks that contain both Caprice and TFP.

For the runner side I have heavily played PPVP Kate, Reg Ass MaxX, Apocalypse MaxX and Andy Sucker. Have some experience with Noise, other forms of Reg Ass Anarch, and Kit.

Areas in which I would like to improve on are handling poor mulligans when playing Corp, identifying scoring options as NEH FA, mindful Ice placement (especially in NEH), breaking out of R&D lock and finally learning how to play non-RP Glacier. HB Foodcoats is a deck I do not care for but feel that it is academic for my understanding.

As runner I would like to seek improvements for playing non-concrete styled decks such as Apocalypse MaxX. I would like to further my study on PPVP Kate mainly because it feels to me to hold the most promise for my development as a player. My style of play with Kate is observed by me as being a bit looser than other Kates I have observed irl or in archived footage. I tend to favor single access central play against Glacier decks (which might be accurate) and FA (which might be straight up wrong); treating my Sure Gambles as mini-Stimhacks in non-Glacier and Scorch MUs; and inability to conserve econ over the course of a game.

P.S. I only use Jinteki.net.

1 Like

Role: Mentee/Student
Time zone: US Eastern

Iā€™m basically just in that inbetween point where I know the game but still that step below competitive. Looking for a better player I could play with and talk about the games after just for general improvement.

1 Like

Time zone: CET (available between 9-11 pm)
Area where you think you need to improve: I have been playing for a couple of weeks. For the first, I would like to improve in deck building/piloting/tuning for Shaper (Stealth Kit) and Jinteki (RP). Secondly, I would like to learn basic strategy for playing against all the different factions/archetypes.
Note: I only use Jinteki.net

1 Like

Time zone: ~6 UTC. (US central time). Mainly free in the evenings or Monday afternoons
Able to use voice chat?: Yes
Area where you think you need to improve:

I am a beginner-intermediate player who plays a lot on Jinteki and in person. I have a complete card collection, so all decks are in-bound. I feel like I can win with janky decks or win-more decks on both sides, but have trouble consistently winning with solid, flexible decks. I feel like I know the rules of the game and basic strategy, but lack the game sense and fundamental strategy to make the bridge from being an OK player to a great or truly great player. With that in mind, I would like to learn decks like pre-paid Kate and Noise on the runner side, and HB, NEH, and RP on the corp side so that I can win not by getting lucky with a weird strategy, but by being a fundamentally good player.

1 Like

Role: Mentor
Time zone: Afternoon-Evenings of European times.
Area where you think you have some particular expertise:

• Jinteki expert. Mind-games and how to bluff properly included.
  • Out of the box deckbuilding advice. (not just junk, but junk that works and will have your opponents nagging day and night)
  • Bringing the extraordinary. Secret Tech. Catching your opponents off-guard.
  • Advanced netrunner with all combos since the beginning of the game and how to counter them with most things available within each faction.

ALSO: Extra, good fun and good laughs all around. Iā€™m willing to even analyze certain games together with you if you want me to. We can talk about what a player could have done better, or what could have been different.

Pew pew. (Jinteki fans preferred :P)

3 Likes

Iā€™m interested for both teaching and learning.
Pacific time.
Voice chat OK.
Jinteki preferred due to macos.

For learning, Iā€™ve had trouble having an overall plan especially when Iā€™m playing from behind. My sequencing is fine but sometimes Iā€™m lost at strategy level.

Iā€™m comfortable teaching beginner players of any netdeck

2 Likes

Role: Both Mentor and Student
Time zone: EST (GMT-5). Usually free evenings.
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes, required. Can do Skype or Google Hangout.
Platform: I use Jinteki.net and OCTGN.

Mentor: I have practice with NEH Fastro, vegan Weyland, Weyland rush, 2014 RP, NBN rush, HBFA, and Mushin HB/Jinteki for corp. Experienced with Kate, CT, Andy, and Quetzal for runners. Good at avoiding tilt. Lots of experience deckbuilding and testing jank.

Student: For corp, I would like to learn more about how to create and capitalize on scoring windows. Iā€™m looking for collaborative experimentation with new cards and archetypes. For Runner, I need to learn how to be intelligently aggressive and when to trash corp cards.

1 Like