Official Stimhack Netrunner Mentor Program Updated With Pairings! Now with a tournament!

Role: Mentor
Time Zone: GMC -8 (Pacific Time)
Voice Chat: Yes: Skype, Google Hangout.
Specialty: Teaching when to rush/build. Teaching matchup specific strategies. Awareness of what ice you need to predict before even starting a match. Teaching the timing structure of a run inside and out. Teaching priority. Deckbuilding and analysis (do you have the tools you need?). Can teach Jinteki.net or OCTGN.

Corp:Experienced with FA in many forms, NEH, SYNC, HB. Experienced with Glacier HB and RP.

Runner: Experienced Shaper. Closet Anarch (Noise, Reina, Whizzard).

2 Likes

Role: Mentee
Time Zone: Eastern (US)
Able to use Voice Chat: Yes
Areas where you think you need to improve: I like running Whiz and Noise , need to make smarter runs, always seeming to be low on cash and letting the corp have too much. For corp looking to work on HB / NBN, fast advance and butcher shop.

1 Like

Timezone: Central Europe (GMT+1)
Voicechat: Sure but preferably not Skype
Platform: Jinteki highly preferred, never used OCTGN and donā€™t have it set up
Area where you think you need to improve: Iā€™m an inexperienced player in general, but I think my biggest problem is a bad habit of not thinking my turns through properly (aka doing stupid shit and regretting it immediately after), which any sort of mentoring should help simply because Iā€™ll be forced to take a step back and voice out my thought process. But Iā€™ll gladly absorb any knowledge you have to offer, be it tournament archetype mastery on subtle insights on scoring windows!

2 Likes

Role: Student
Time zone: EST (GMT - 5:00), free in the evenings/late at night.
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes. Preferably Jinteki, I donā€™t have OCTGN set up

Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Iā€™m a decent player, Iā€™ve been playing for a few months and can do alright against most other players, usually by making decks so janky they donā€™t know how to play against it.

Iā€™d like help with the fundamentals, like reading the board state and knowing when to run where. And when to mulligan. Learning to recognize scoring windows. I also need help with deck building, specifically how to put together a good corp deck. Iā€™d also like to learn more standard deck archetypes, and how to play and play against them, like NEH FA/Butchershop, or DLR Val. Ideally, at some point, Iā€™d like to try playing competitively.

Also I need help beating my previous mentor.

2 Likes

Hi,

I visit the website regularly and this thread gave me the final push to register. It would be really fun to be part of this program.

Time Zone: GMT+1, in general Im pretty flexible with my time.
Voice Chat: Yes
Areas To Improve: I would like to focus on my runner game (as I find it behind my corp one). Usually I play good stuff Val, but I am very eager to learn piloting PPVP Kate. This might be the perfect opportunity for it. Im constantly trying to pinpoint the weaker ares of my game, so here are the first couple of them, which come to my mind:

1. Checkin remotes vs not checking remotes against a) HB (asset/agenda?) b) Kill decks (Mushin-ed cards or Weyland Scorche w/o having Plascrete) c) Horizontal decks,
  2. When to face check (in case of Val),
  3. Clotting startegy (in case of Kate),
  4. Deciding about which cards to discard,
  5. Playing against trap decks,
  6. Identifying more areas to improve.:slight_smile:
    Platform: I prefer Jinteki.net.
    Note: I started playing around 2-3 months ago spending a lot of time on the game. On Jinteki.net my results seems to be good but havent yet tried out myself on the competitive level.
4 Likes

Time zone: Atlantic Canada, UTC-4
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes, but not all the time.
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Overall - I havenā€™t been playing for long and would like to get better. I play online against friends but rarely get to test myself against Tier 1 decks. More specifically, Iā€™d like to branch out from Shaper (mainly CT and some Hayley) and learn some of the finer points of Glacier style Corp play. My FLGS should be getting in a Winter Tournament Kit and Iā€™d like to make a good showing for myself.
Platform: OCTGN or Jinteki.net

1 Like

Just sticking a note here: if anyone in the local Madison, WI area is looking for assistance/mentoring/tips/etc and prefer in person to online, let me know.

1 Like

Role: Any
Time zone: US central, but Iā€™m a huge night owl.
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yeahhhhh
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:

As a Mentor -
I placed second at a 2015 regionals in a field of ~60 players and Iā€™ve won a handful of store tournaments, but Iā€™ve scrubbed out of far more over a 2 year Netrunner career. I have tournament wins with Andromeda, Noise, Valencia, Kit, Kate, Personal Evolution, and almost anything NBN. My strength is making long term strategic game plans and approaching my games and matchups from a macro point of view.

Fun footnote, I pride myself on being a gifted/masochistic Power Shutdown + Accelerated Diagnostics combo player if thatā€™s your jam.

As a Mentee -
I donā€™t play enough games, and I donā€™t have experience playing as even half of the archetypes that keep popping up. If you can teach me about a strong deck Iā€™ve never played, I would be happy. In general, I enjoy constructive criticism and dissecting individual plays, and would appreciate working with a similarly minded player of any skill level.

1 Like

Time zone: Mountain Standard Time. Night owl.
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes
Doing pretty well at the store championship level but would like to take the next step and take home a regional. Need help managing econ and evaluating when itā€™s time to build vs when itā€™s time to pressure. Also need help learning how to play @d1enā€™s Val.

Time zone: Pacific (US)
Able to use Voice Chat?: Usually
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:

1. General advice in order to advance to higher level
  2. Issues with triggers and timing structure

Time Zone: Mountain Standard Time
Able to Use Voice Chat: Yes
I do well with non-standard decks. I need to focus more on the proven consistent decks.

Role: mentee
Time zone: GMT+9
Area where you think you need to improve: really trying to improve my runner side of the game. I can pretty consistently top 10 in GNKā€™s (the only kind of tournament available here) but havenā€™t placed better than 2nd. Currently working on L4J Wizz after I bombed out with Noise this past weekend.

I only play on jinteki.

Role: Mentor
Time Zone: US Central
Voice Chat: Yes, Skype
Focus: Running with purpose, playing proactively and aggressively as Corp, Noise (although I may not be great at explaining it :stuck_out_tongue:), Deck-building.

I play on OCTGN, but would happily coach someone who uses Jinteki.

(Donā€™t pair me with @gh0st_b1rd, I give him enough lectures as it isā€¦)

3 Likes

Its true. We play at the same LGS together.

Also, free lessons at his house.

Role: Mentee / Mentor (willing to teach, but also willing to learn more
Time zone: CST (-6 GMT)
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: I can teach any intermediate-level strategies and deck building. Can teach advanced criminal and some advanced anarch play and deck building, With Shaper am good with odd runners like Nasir. Pretty good with Sunny.

For learning, just trying to cut down on my mistakes and increase consistency. I donā€™t like the feeling of having ā€œleft over clicksā€ (meaning I didnā€™t plan the turn out well enough).

1 Like

I love that we can have a proxy war via this, seeing whose prodigies do the best.

LET THE HUNGER GAMES BREGIN!

12 Likes

Iā€™ve already accepted a partner preemptively via PM.

Bad form?

Timezone: MST
Voice: Yes
Area needs improving: Runner game - reading the corp, knowing when to strike etc.

I am not a novice player, but Iā€™ve fallen out of the scene for a bit. Iā€™ve never been an excellent runner and am looking to improve my game.

Time zone: NZDT (GMT +13) - University is over so Iā€™m on pretty much all day.
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes! Numerous years of WoW mean I have pretty much every kind of voice chat set up on my computer.
**Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:**Iā€™m an intermediate level player who started back in early August.

I need to improve my corp game in general, particularly playing more standard kinds of decks (the only deck I really play is Cambridge style PE as I just donā€™t really understand normal corp decks). I like glacier but I donā€™t feel like Iā€™m very good at it - I have trouble recognising scoring windows and the like. Iā€™m mostly a Jinteki player, but Iā€™m interested in trying out other factions for sure, I havenā€™t really found a corp deck Iā€™ve fallen in love with yet. I do enjoy murder though - Iā€™ve been playing harpsichord butchershop online and really enjoy it (no d&d in my country yet sadly)

Runner side itā€™s Noise. Iā€™d consider my Noise game decent, but Iā€™d really love to improve even more with him. Corp side Iā€™m looking to learn more over-arching strategy and general things, but with Noise I really want to get deep down in the gritty and learn as much as possible about everything I can about him.

Iā€™ve only ever used Jinteki.net but Iā€™m willing to download and learn OCTGN if needed.

Time zone: UTC -6:00. Work every weekday but available in afternoon on weekdays and weekend.

Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes. I have Skype and would be able to dl other programs if needed.

Platform: would prefer jinteki.net as I have not tried octgn before

I started in the middle of August and played a bit at the local game store. I have one friend with similar experience who I play often on jinteki. I am currently very interested in playing a glacier style of corp and have settled with foodcoats archetype for now though I think what Iā€™ve been playing is a bit different. Iā€™d like some HB focused help so I can improve my gameplay with slower corp dekcs.

On the runner side Iā€™ve been devoted to Adam since he came out but in general I feel like my runner is much weaker and I could use a lot of advice in this area. I like Adam definitely but I am not set on which runner archetypes I like to play. I like being aggressive but have trouble against kill decks. Just general runner tips would be super useful.

Thanks for setting this up as I feel like it is a great idea! I made my login on stimhack just to sign up for this when I saw it on reddit.