Official Stimhack OCTGN League PART IV

That’s unfortunate. Don’t think I have time today to play enough games to get up there in the ranks. Currently unofficially 10th. Was hoping to make a run at it if the 17th was going to count.

Looks like the 4th edition was the best one so far. 1747 elo not enough to make the cut?! Wow!

5 Likes

How awful, I was sitting cozy at 9th two days ago and forgot it ended so soon so sat down to play a few more rounds, and split several games against lower rankings. I’m probably sitting at 1600 now if that :frowning: shoulda just afked it these last days! :stuck_out_tongue:

When’s PART V starting?

7 Likes

Pumped up for 5th edition. Got playtime with many decks in 4th ed (classic RP, astro-train NEH, butcher shop, ETF glacier with next ice, BS bootcamp glacier, headlock Reina, wooley-spags Whizz, reg ass MaxX, PPVP Kate, stealth Kit). Those leagues are invaluable!

2 Likes

I allready miss this after facing ridicoulous decks in chain yesterday!

You really want SHL5 ? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I hope that’s a rhetorical question.

3 Likes

So we have a top 4:

1. Bnye 1765
  2. Matuszczak 1760
  3. josh01 1756
  4. patlanicus 1753

Are you all on these forums? We will make a private thread to make arrangements for a Top 4.

EDIT: I’ve randomised the extra prize. Random.org helped me to number 44: @kenobob congrats. Please contact me to get a pack of FFG sleeves.

6 Likes

Congrats to the top 4. Unfortunately I only had the honor of getting whooped by two of them… What about the number of matches Josh01 played? 270 is ridiculous! Congratulations!

As to your question about SHL5, is today too soon? :grin:

2 Likes

Well done @kenobob! Please snap some pics of you in your new sleeves when they arrive!

2 Likes

Couldnt find enough games, and my decks were just screaming you will not win 10 in a row, on the day of a final push.

must do better next league.

70% win rate. i will do it. no more fuck around games. you will all get the fury of my etf and kate every damn game.

1 Like

[quote=“Slakker, post:210, topic:3605, full:true”]
Congrats to the top 4. Unfortunately I only had the honor of getting whooped by two of them… What about the number of matches Josh01 played? 270 is ridiculous! Congratulations!

As to your question about SHL5, is today too soon? :grin:
[/quote]270 games and i still don’t know which build to play to get a reasonably high winrate against Lord Whizzard

2 Likes

The sooner we start, the better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bring it brother! My ETF/Kate decks challenges your ETF/Kate decks to a day 1 cage match. 4 Decks Enter, Only 2 Decks Leave! :scream:

1 Like

Ah yeah. 44th place gettin’ its due props. And I needed some new sleeves!

4 Likes

Congratulations to the top 4, Byne, Matuszczak, Josh01, and Patlanicus. Also congratulations to everyone who bested me, and everyone who finished above me. Well done!

So I learned a few things this league:

1. I don’t play Netrunner enough to be very good at it. This doesn’t really bother me as much as I thought it would. Although my ultra-shitty ISP does nothing to help, I find myself being OK with this. Not like there was a realistic chance of me winning anything of note.
  2. I might just suck at card games. The most vile of insults one can deliver to another, this might be the case with me. There are a few things that make me think this way, but not playing enough also contributes to this. But any card game, be it Yu-Gi-Mon, Netrunner, or MtG, I was never very good, and only (relative to the people I played against) powerful cards saw me through. In Netrunner, you can’t out booster-pack someone to victory, so that goes out the window, and my lack of ability shows. This is as compared to other things, like board games, tabletop games, and video games, which I seem to at least be decent at. Hell, I’ve even (unofficially) broken the single-segment speedrun record for the video game Ace Combat 4 by a not-insignificant margin; so it’s not like I just suck at everything I touch. :smile:
  3. If I did want to get good at Netrunner, I’m about 147,000 light-years away from reaching the top of the SHL. This analogy works because a light-year is a measure of distance, not time. :smile: I feel so, so, far away from the top players. There are many times in a game where I look at my hand, and I look at the board state, and I think to myself “I have no idea what I should be doing to win this game.” I might know the general plan (IE, with Butcher Shop get money and murder pieces), but I can’t see the intermediate steps between right now and the end goal. This happens far more often at the corp than as the runner. As the runner, I can usually formulate a half-coherent plan, go in, and have a shot at victory. I tend to do OK (not great) with OCTGN random opponents, so it’s not like I’m completely lost. But the gap between me and advanced play - honestly the gap between my play and intermediate play - feels like the Grand Canyon. It’s a testament to how amazingly skill top-tier players really are.
  4. Despite all of this, I still really like Netrunner, and enjoyed playing in the League. I ended the league in a position I can’t really be proud of - 202 out of 275, with a 6-12 record, and an ELO of 1459. I initially entered thinking I could at least improve my play to a semi-competitive state, but alas; it’s pretty clear I just don’t have that determination to really focus on being good at Netrunner. As such, I think the competitive cap has to go on the shelf for a while, and I’ll keep myself with content with more casual matches against people more my skill level.

Despite all the above, I’m pretty content with how things turned out, and I don’t really feel bummed out or anything like that.

As always, to @Argamas, who ran the league, and everyone who played and participated, thank you for your time and effort.

5 Likes

Yeah, playing against experienced opponents makes me realize how often I play on autopilot. It’s good to get punished for mistakes I didn’t hardly notice.

I find it’s tough to find the willingness to continually seek out those types games. Often I just want to unwind and make janky decks work against casual opponents. I’m good for about 1 tough league match for every 3 casual.

2 Likes

Great league! GG WP everyone!
Tnx @Argamas for make it happened!

2 Likes

My worst ever performance :smiley:
It was so bad that I even got a “that’s excellently played game for a 1400 ranked person”.

Tell me about it, I was 1600 in season 3 :tired_face:

Anywho, SHL4 thought me that any corp that has “free to steal” agendas is bad. After switching to RP things went much better :smile:

3 Likes