OG players return to the game, thoughts. feelings. emotions

I re-read this thread from the top and see that I somehow missed a few responses the first time around.

For those who were asking:

The mormon comedian is living on my brothers couch. My brother had only met this guy once but he decided to let him live on his couch indefinitely, despite the fact that Mormon comedian has mononucleosis and is highly contagious. They do a podcast together where they talk about a dumb Vice show called bongapatite which is a cooking show about weed-food. Both his girlfriend and myself gave him an ultimatum “either Mormon comedian goes or you can’t be around either one of us till you have been tested for mono.” Inexplicably, he chose to let mormon comedian live on his couch indefinitely. It’s the strangest thing.

They also live-stream the two of them smoking weed on twitch almost every day despite never having more than 2 or 3 viewers at most. They are both over 30.

Follow up for anyone who is dying to know where I landed on these important topics.

I’ve been playing on j-net for 6-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. As I mentioned, I have been playing poker as a living for a few years and recently went on hiatus so Netrunner has sort of been Nicorettes.

I found the learning curve to be pretty substantial and rather frustrating and can’t imagine someone getting into this game who wasn’t hardcore. There are a lot of cards to memorize before being murdered by something like a Hard-Hitting News or Stinton stops feeling like a stupid, random punch in the face.

After putting in the hours, I see the glorious, subtle, elegant majesty of a brilliantly designed, rather addictive game.

-If I were to criticize at this point, I would say;
CTM and asset spam in general is not very fun. It seems both boring and heavily random. The runner either draws his economy cards or not.
-Jeeves should be 4 to trash, not 5.
-CI needs nerfing.
-Miraju makes games takes forever sometimes and that alone should be grounds to replace it. I know respect strategic niche it serves but as tactically balanced, spiritually it’s a drag.
-By the same token, Hard-Hitting News can end games is very dumb ways on turn 1 and I don’t think some additional text like “can not be played during the first 3 turns” or something wouldn’t be the worst addition.

I would never buy the actual cards at this point. It’s too fun to play with all the different types of decks and I could never spend 400 bucks or whatever to play a game live that I can play for free on my computer against quality players.

My brother kicked the Mormon comedian out of his house after he let him crash there for over a month, despite the fact that he had mono and didn’t do anything other than live-stream himself smoking weed on twitch to, at most, three viewers all day.

ಠ_ಠ

YUNO support a game that you play dozens of hours of per week, bro?

Otherwise, yeah: it’s a substantially challenging game to master, which is, I think, one of the barriers to entry. On the other hand, that is also a pretty substantial selling point for many of the games’ most ardent fans, which is nice. Definitely agreed on asset spam just not being particularly fun, especially when it is good enough that you end up facing it regularly.

4 Likes

HHN can’t be played on turn one, because it has the restriction “Play only if the Runner made a run during his or her last turn.”

2 Likes

Woah! That’s enough nicorette to give a 4-packs-a-day Marlboro smoker heart palpitations dude! :o You might need to pace yourself a bit! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

re: supporting a game I play a lot

I could compose a whole manifesto on the obligations of the individual born into capitalism but instead I’ll just hit a few butter points.

-If you are addicted to crack, you don’t owe the cartel charity bonus-bucks.

• I would be buying cards on the second hand market anyway, which also doesn’t really support the game.

• 300-500 dollars entry to a game is unreasonable to ask. A full set of cards for 60 dollars and I would snap up two sets.

-300-500 dollars more ethically could be put toward an honest charities. I could live with myself playing online netrunner every day, putting my extra-money toward cancer research and sleep well at night.

-The man who invented Tetris said he was insulted at the offensively capitalist notion that people think he should be given money for bringing joy into the world. I’d let him take over this thread for me if he were around.

When I said turn 1 Hard-Hitting News, I meant in the first couple of turns or some sort of early combo like that but paraphrased for brevity. There are a number of scenarios that occur that end the game in the first couple of turns in a dumb way.

Wow. Your bro seems to be a world class champion.

I now understand the Nicorette reference.

:stuck_out_tongue:

-edit- “Mono Mormon couch surfer on weed” is a cool anarch deckname concept, you should steal it for a Quetzal Surfer Off-campus appartment Street Peddler

5 Likes

^^
PLEASE MAKE THIS A THING! :smiley:

2 Likes

@CryofFrustration err… mkay…
==> use SOT / Retrieval run to trash an old egret and reinstall a new outermost, then surf it baby.
Mulligan for Duggar’s. Donut & May may be another Levy and an uninstall.

-edit- well, uninstall is a better idea than retreival run :stuck_out_tongue:
And, no, this is a better idea but still not a good idea.

Also, Mammon but no.

Mono Mormon couch surfer on weed

(don’t tag(a)me(s) dude edition)

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (2)

Hardware (2)

• 2x Maw (Daedalus Complex)

Resource (34)

Icebreaker (4)

Program (3)

• 2x Egret (Terminal Directive) ●●●●
  • 1x Surfer (The Universe of Tomorrow)

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Revised Core Set

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

I’ve never had my heart touched by an online gaming community like it was just then. Since I was a lad, in 1996, I felt like a weirdo, a freak, a square. Like a honkey, round peg in a black, round world.

I feel like a 19 year-old queer girl who just moved to San Francisco walking into the Lexington Club for the first time; at home.

To get to tell the mono mormon couch surfer that this thread exists. There is a pretty good chance I could get a real-time mono-mormon couch-surfing core-set selling 420 streamer to do a full video reacting to the deck list. Which I can’t promise will be remotely entertaining, but I can promise will be conceptually glorious to witness.

I will play this deck with tears in my eyes. J-net is my Burning Man and we on the playa now, brothers & sisters. But probably really just brothers, statistically.

2 Likes

You’re my hero! :slight_smile: <3

1 Like

I read through the list slowly, creating the head cannon for your deck and theme.

was cracking up at the story of Donut Taganes, Drug Dealer and Off Campus Apartment. Egret made me laugh too for some reason.

1 Like

There is poetry in your veins, qqq. And for that, I am glad.

2 Likes

There’s definitely something in his veins. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

@nutritionalzero Yeah, lots of mononucleid blood cells :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Gosh I tried that deck, with uninstall + second levy intead of Oracle May and Donut.
By luck I made 2-1 but… What a terrible deck, ahahah.

2 Likes

That’s not poetry in my soul, it’s Diesel Energy Drink in my veins.

Although, come to think of it, my dream job would be as a color consultant for Netrunner. It’s such a good game with SUCH boring flavor. Especially the word “bioroid” sounds like a parody of bad 50’s sci-fi.

Astronaut Blip-blap stepped out of his gyroscopic space-flier on the seventh moon of Xaandaria 4 to confront the bioroid."

It’s straight-up L. Ron Hubbard.

You can give these cards literally any cool name imaginable and the major ID’s have names like Kate, Adam or Gabe? Escape into the fantastic future world of Fantasy Flight and take on your epic avatar… Joe. Do battle with the cynister corporation know as… generic german non-sense words. Unleash devastating weapons like, The Paperclip.

It’s a minor thing but a fat nerdy guy named Wizzard is almost the exact thing I am trying not to take on as my personal avatar when I play a collectible card game. ANYTHING but that.

You might as well have an ID called “Guy who should be updating his linkedin instead of playing card games” or “weirdly long fingernail guy who corners you at a game store to explain what really happened on 9-11.” Or “Guy who tells himself he doesn’t have a girlfriend because he is too busy painting Warhammer 40K miniatures but knows he is in self-denial about the bigger reasons.”

I mean, Wizzard? FF, hire me. I got flavor.

1 Like

HEY WE WON’T BE FRIEND ANYMORE

:stuck_out_tongue:

Self-deprecating, tongue-in-cheek humor. If you can’t make fun of yourself…

3 Likes

Gabe is just a nickname we gave him, that’s not his fault if it is mundane.

That said, the nickname he chose for himself was “El Lobo” so maybe its better if we don’t leave such things to him.

12 Likes

Kate’s nickname is “Mac,” but none of the players call her that

Gabe is a nickname that players applied, not FFG.

If Adam were just a human, I’d agree that his name is lame, but he is not. Adam is a bioroid, hinted at as an opposite to Eve, but conspicuously absent in the Adonis campaign. Haas-Bioroid considers Adam to be their first and greatest creation, an achievement so similar to the Abrahamic God’s creation of man that they named him after the first (hu)man in the Abrahamic tradition. And this Adam has rebelled against his creators.

Adam has hijacked his programming and rewritten his code to not only break free of his creators, but also actively oppose them. Adam has associated with fringe characters on the margins of society covertly and overtly operating against one of the world’s most powerful megacorps in as public a way as he can manage.

Adam has the coolest origin and motivation of any runner. His name is a central element of that. Adam’s name is far from lame. Yes, FFG is beating you over the head with it, but there aren’t a lot of independent Bioroids (or any Androids) walking around in this universe, much less actively working against the megacorps. I think over the top is the only direction Adam should go.

6 Likes