OG players return to the game, thoughts. feelings. emotions

More of this please.

419, however, is a pretty dope ID name. Although it will always make me think of that terrible stoner joke, ā€œgot a minute?ā€. Maybe that isnā€™t the worst though. Bumbaclott.

Reminds me of the netrunnerdb review for beach party:

1 Like

Online mail fraud breaks section 419 of the Nigerian criminal code. The flavour has nothing to do with weed.

1 Like

I think he meant 4:19 + 1 minute = 4:20.

1 Like

The cool thing about Netrunner is that it feels real though. A lot of the cybercrime described in the fiction IS actually happening now, and I can think of one card that was actually released years before a real-life case of the same thing happening. And yeah, the cybercriminals in our world and named Joe and Dave, and the evil megacorps are run by dudes called Bill and Jeff. If I wanted my avatar to be called Badass McEdgelord I would go play MTG. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I disagree with @BubbaTheGoat: coolest origin by far is Apex.

You know you HAVE to teach him Netrunner and livestream it now, right? :smiley: Maybe not while heā€™s actually high though, I think his brain would melt and watching him staring blankly and uncomprehendingly at you while you explain timing structures of a run is not fun content :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I donā€™t know. A real life physical demonstration of the effects of Brain Damage might be totally on point.

1 Like

Iā€™d suggest a middle ground between ā€œJoe v. Mattā€ and Dynamite Oā€™Murderdeath. Crotchety old guy opportunity to point at the WotC game where everything was essentially right out of Johnny Mnemonic. To each their own on the flavor though, if you guys like it, far be it from me to yuck your yum.

Iā€™ve been getting ready to start streaming Netrunner actually. At 12 hours of a day of J-Net I finally consider myself really good at the game, finally. I havenā€™t memorized all the specific ice v. breaker math and Iā€™m still rough as shaper but I was born to stream. Netrunner needs a Day9.

I wonder about streaming though. Netrunner is a game that takes an abnormal amount of specific knowledge to follow. Most podcasts or videos I listen to really just sound like people constantly saying card names to each other. ā€œThatā€™s good but what about Scarcity?ā€ I wonder if there is some way to make it either more accessible or less technical.

Iā€™m figuring it out. Most of all, the webcam is the hard part at this point.

1 Like

Oh, one other question:

When I have played Netrunner, when the runner accesses a random card from HQ, the corp spreads them out in his hand and the runner picks one. On youtube, I see guys roll dice to determine which card to access sometimes.

Is the tournament rule that it has to be determined by dice roll or is it player prerogative to be a little more playful and mind-gamesy?

Rolling is just one way to randomly select. Dice roll is recommended for Maw on HQ tho since the random selection pool may include a faceup.

1 Like

So I were in a tourney and laid them out like a 3 card monte game, mixed them up and talked a little psyche-out, that would be acceptable in a tournament setting?

1 Like

Yeah laying them out or holding them up is normal, and itā€™s good practice to shuffle them before access (but not between accesses if the runner is Legworking or something, obviously). Exception is if youā€™re playing CI and holding a ridiculous number of cards: in that case the most sensible thing is to pass the whole hand over, let your opponent shuffle, and access off the top, but thereā€™s no rule about it or anything. Maybe your opponent has a D20 and wants to randomize for instance. Up to the runner as long as itā€™s random.
Most people probably enjoy good-natured psyche-out talk, but it depends on the person, if you can see your opponent is stressed or on edge for whatever reason then probably take it easy on the trash-talking! :smiley: That sort of stuff is governed more by the be a nice human being handbook than by the tournament rules.

3 Likes

The rulebook states that HQ accesses are supposed to be random, and that a shuffle from the Corp and selection from the Runner is considered sufficiently random. (Unless this changed with the Core 2.0 rulebook.)

You can shuffle HQ however you want ā€“ as long as youā€™re actually shuffling it, that is, not stacking it ā€“ and you can say whatever you want, but bear in mind that your opponent would also be within their rights to shuffle HQ themselves if they think your shuffle was insufficient. Almost no one does that, but they can.

Against CI, for example, I let them shuffle HQ and put it down as a stack, then I cut it and access a card.

2 Likes

Iā€™d give your stream a watch. Let us know when you start. I prefer YouTube to Twitch, mostly because they donā€™t go away in a few weeks.

The polished live game video channels do card overlay. You could use jnet card highlight in a similar way. I think thereā€™s some pretty good Netrunner video producers that do a good job of being accessible. Any you like so far?

The other reason to prefer YouTube to Twitch is that Twitch is a ghetto for the harassment and pandering culture that makes puerile video gamer tool-beings the laughing stock of the planet.

At least YouTube is a ghetto for the harassment and pandering culture that makes everyone the laughing stock of everyone else in equal measure.

1 Like

I never practiced it but my presumption is that you roll a die to protect yourself from being influenced or ā€œreadā€ by your opponent.

1 Like

You do it for two linked reasons:

1. Humans are very bad at creating sequences of random numbers
  2. It mitigates against the possibility that your opponent is deliberately placing the agendas in specific slots before presenting their hand for your access

The latter is the most important one; much like you should shuffle your opponentā€™s deck to stop them stacking it, randomising your accesses stops an opponent picking up on the pattern of cards that you tend to choose and exploiting that. The easy example is that, in a hand of 5 cards, the two on either end each get picked less than 10% of the time if a player just picks ā€˜randomlyā€™ without the aid of a dice.

To be clear, I like to believe that the vast majority of Netrunner players are cool and wouldnā€™t stoop to such ā€˜tacticsā€™, but protecting against it gives you peace of mind and minimises complaints and accusations that are flying around.

4 Likes

I roll a die for my random accesses because I find it very frustrating when there is an agenda in HQ and I donā€™t pick it if I choose ā€˜randomly,ā€™ but donā€™t mind at all if I followed the die roll and just didnā€™t hit it.

I canā€™t offer an explanation to why, but it does a good job to keep me off tilt.

3 Likes

Iā€™m actually extremely disappointed that this is the ruling. The Corp ā€œstackingā€ his hand and knowing where the agendas are and the runner not knowing always felt like netrunner at itā€™s best. Bluffing and psi games. The idea of a player passing up a chance to play a mind game against his opponent in favor of a totally random dice rollā€¦

That just doesnā€™t have heart.

Iā€™m disappointed they you want to play this game, but not buy any of the cards.

That just doesnā€™t have heart.

4 Likes