Pacific Northwest ANRPC

My plan is to run a 1-day CPC tournament in Seattle and give out prizes, doing it as a one-and-done thing similar to the other CPC events. Given the short timeframe (I’m gone next week for Thanksgiving) I think I can’t set that up and also the CPC finals, so I’ll prioritize the Seattle event. I’ll ask stores about 12/12 and report back.

Happy for someone else to do a finals on 12/13 of course. Assuming nobody does, I’ll see about a finals in January or February.

Edit: do the ANRPC events generally give out cash money? All the game stores I’ve been to in Seattle have paid out store credit instead of actual cash, so I think they are more comfortable with that.

1 Like

Yes, the qualifiers are intended to collect entry fees and they are distributed as cash prizes at the finals(I think paypal might be involved instead of actual cash). The qualifiers themselves don’t have payouts, instead handing out prizes from the anrpc promos and such.(there may have also been some gnkits involved at the events, there was one at Portland)

The finals is supposed to distribute $ as prize, because the $ was collected at different stores it would make no sense to have a central location in Seattle dish out store credit when the entry fees were not collected by that central location. It would also defeat one of the intentions of the ANRPC event.

The original intention of ANRPC events was to add a competitive event as well as a path to help good players get to worlds/nationals . Just tell the store its like a travel bonus, all these stores run PPTQs which feed into PTQs which give out travel $.

2 Likes

Man, where were all you guys months ago?! :smile:

So originally the CPC consisted of Portland, Vancovuer, Victoria, Seattle, Tacoma or Olympia, & Spokane. Finals to be held in Bellevue.

Nels from Vancouver helped organize things up there & did a great job. We had ours in Portland & everyone seemed to enjoy it.I talked to quite a few people in Seattle but with them being busy, me having a baby & working 50+ hours a week it was hard to get traction.

For players: The top 3 were to advance to the “big dance” with the winner being given a trip to Worlds. Obviously with the ticket fiasco this year…everyone changed plans, most doing straight up cash for the winner.
I had custom alt arts printed up for each mini tournament & still have playmat files ready to go for the TOP 8 at the CPC Final, along with some other goodies @spags gave me ideas on. Secret Tech!

The plan, in my mind at least, was to go hard for next year (since we started later anyway) now that we have plenty of time to get things organized. I was actually just about to message Nels & tell him to distribute the money saved from the tournament to the winners.

@jrp , is that…James? One of the James’ up there? You know me, nerd. If you guys want to do a quick one off tournament in Seattle, that’d be awesome. I still have a stack of ANRPC promos I can mail to you to use as additional prize support as well. Most stores charged about a $10.00 entry, with some of it going to the ANRPC final prize pool & the rest in the way of gift certificates/store credit.

4 Likes

Let’s definitely all get in contact on Facebook, etc. or something. As Mr. Pagliaroninironnirnioroni mentioned this is definitely a collective effort. Glad people are showing interest :smile:

5 Likes

I just always assume someone more competent than I has everything under control, and all I have to do is show up to these things.

4 Likes

Time to stop assuming.

3 Likes

You wanted someone competent, but you got @BazooKaJoe. He’s not the hero we need, but the hero we’re stuck with, for some unfortunate reason.

=D

<3 @BazooKaJoe

5 Likes

Okay, I BELIEVE someone more competent than I has everything under control, and all I have to do is show up to these things.

1 Like

I believe in Joe!

2 Likes

Yup, that’s all i received from Nels. I’ll let you know once I hear from him about money distribution or whatever ends up happening.

I’m all for running another one in Victoria next year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@BazooKaJoe
Would it be possible to hold an event in Idaho or is that too far out? I know that we have at least two stores that would be interested in running: one in Boise and one in Pocatello. Guaranteed attendance from the player base in Idaho + a lot of the players in Utah. Most likely people will also drive from Oregon and Montana as well, that’s what happened with our regional this year.

Any news/updates @jrp

As for Idaho @kata124 , Qualifier or finals event? Idaho is fairly far from the Vancouver guys, it’s not really central enough for us to have the finals there for the PNW(my opinion), I don’t see us traveling there for a qualifier.
I don’t see whats wrong with having a qualifier there though, if you guys are willing to trek to Seattle for the finals(if/when) they happen.

1 Like

We held our finals in Chicago. All qualifiers were within 6 hours drive. Figure that was pushing the extent that people would travel.

1 Like

Yes qualifier. We would be willing to trek to finals.

Talked to Jacob and GLG about a date. January is easier so plan for that.

I’m just trying for a Seattle qualifier for now but I’m happy to help with (or run) the finals after that.

1 Like

Is this still happening? I will be out of town for the weekend of January 9th. I would really love to see this happen, the earlier the better, and the 3rd seems like a good date.

It’s still happening. Acknowledged about the date. I’ll post when I have a commitment from a store.

has there been any movement on the Seattle Qualifier? Just curious as i’ve had some players of the Victoria Qualifier asking what has been happening.

@BazooKaJoe i added you as a friend on Facebook, so You, I and Nels can start to figure out what to do about 2016! Hopefully we can make it great!

1 Like

Seattle just got its SC locations announced, and we should know dates soon. Let’s wait and see if it still makes sense to do this.

The main reason was a drought of serious tournaments. But now that store champs are starting, that isn’t a reason anymore (e.g. I think one SC is happening on Jan 9), and it might make more sense to devote the effort to the period between SCs and Regionals.

2 Likes