Pad Kenpaign - Criminal Voicepad Funtime

Hi Stimhack!

I was inspired by the ‘Shaper Control’ thread and the KMac decks therein that I love playing so much to see if I could take some of those themes and adapt them to my first deck build.

Any input on this would really mean a lot to me.

Goals:

1. Flexibility & Agressiveness → Multiple points of access to agendas, keep corp off balance and, if possible, poor.
  2. PPVoicePad subsidized economy and “runs-plus” → making a run, which you
    should be doing anyways, but getting the benefit of the event
    special ability and creds from KET’s ability and/or Desperado.

Potential points for discussion:

1. The breaker suite. Inclusion of boostable Decoder, namely Gordian Blade, or even a central specific breaker(s)?
  2. Other cards I considered adding, in no specific order → All-Nighter, Bank Job, Lawyer Up, Same Old Thing, Pheromones, LARLA
  3. Potential alternate run events to include → Blackmail, Maker’s eye, Vamp, Demolition Run

=

Pad Kenpaign v0.5

Ken “Express” Tenma: Disappeared Clone (Honor and Profit)

Event (25)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Early Bird (Honor and Profit)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
3x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
1x Planned Assault (Honor and Profit)
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow) ••
3x Special Order (Core Set)
1x Stimhack (Core Set) •
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (11)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••• •
2x Desperado (Core Set)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
1x R&D Interface (Future Proof) ••

Resource (1)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)

Icebreaker (6)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
2x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
1x Yog.0 (Core Set) •

Program (3)
2x Datasucker (Core Set) ••
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)

17 influence spent (max 17)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

2 Likes

Have you considered The Maker’s Eye?

It’s also a run event. It can be tutored with Planned Assault and replayed with Same Old Thing

Love the punny name. I’m working on a similar build, here’s what I have so far:

Prepaid Ken 1.1 (45 cards)

Ken “Express” Tenma: Disappeared Clone

Event (26)
2 Account Siphon
3 Dirty Laundry
1 Early Bird
1 Emergency Shutdown
1 Indexing
2 Inside Job
2 Lawyer Up
2 Legwork
1 Levy AR Lab Access
3 Lucky Find
2 Planned Assault
3 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (8)
3 Desperado
2 Plascrete Carapace
3 Prepaid VoicePAD

Resource (4)
2 John Masanori
2 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (7)
1 Corroder
1 Crypsis
3 Faerie
1 Femme Fatale
1 Gordian Blade

I don’t understand why you need the Clone Chips in your version. I think the #1 reason to run Prepaid is to have huge Lucky Find bursts that are like Stimhacks without the brain damage.

RDI is a good card but with only 1x you have to wait for it. I run Indexing as it’s free, tutorable with Planned Assault, and better against R&D ambushes. Same Old Thing gives you additional copies once you search it out.

Even at a steep 3 influence I think Levy is a must, especially if Jinteki is on the rise. All your economy requires you drawing cards and you can easily eat 25+ net damage against a dedicated damage deck.

For Quality Time vs John, normally I’d prefer QT but I can’t spare the influence unless I run Peacock instead of Gordian. John does fine because I don’t care about tags and Lawyer Up + Prepaid is like the 0-influence Diesel. The awkward thing with QT is that if you draw into more events you have to save them for next turn if you want Prepaid value. John trickles them in so it’s easier to space events for maximum value.

But this is something I’m really not sure about; maybe Peacock is fine. If I run Zu then I need something to protect from Power Shutdown (over and above the Faeries which I need to save for Archer/Grim) whereas having all breakers cost 2+ means the Prepaids can tank the damage.

Have you played against Inazuma yet? It’s pretty scary and I’m trending away from using Yog. Everybody is building to shut out Yog these days and it’s pretty common to run only 2-3 code gates that are Yoggable and then the rest at 5+ strength.

My take on the deck:

Event (24)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set) ••••
3x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) •••
3x Early Bird (Honor and Profit)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
2x Planned Assault (Honor and Profit)

Hardware (8)
3x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (6)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
2x Corroder (Core Set) ••••
2x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
2x Gordian Blade (Core Set) ••••• •
1x Crypsis (Core Set)

17 influence spent (maximum 17)
45 cards (min 45)

I went 3-1 with this deck last night on OCTGN, and funny thing is the game I lost (which was still quite close) was largely because two centrals were 3 deep with an Inazuma on top. At only two influence I think we are going to see it appearing in lots of decks.

Clone chips are to recur Faeries and any other breakers I lose to facechecking ICE and/or Power Shutdown. With only one copy of each breaker, thus far, I’ve liked the backup of having these around. That said, with a LARLA addition some of the need may be mitigated.

• I’m swayed on R&DI and think I’ll remove that.
  • The QT / John / Lawyer Up / draw issue is interesting. I’ve never felt comfortable with John and tagging myself, but that’s just my personal play style.
  • I’m not yet sure if I need Lucky Finds. So far I’ve been rich enough from the econ present. The two influence for each really digs in too, and Peacock seems rather expensive to run consistently.

Figured I would post an update of my own deck.

1. Trying out a Zu / Passport setup for decoders vs Yog / Gordian Blade. This is the biggest question mark for me right now. It cuts down up front install cost but potentially costs more in the long run (hah) if game goes deeper.
  2. Also worked in a Retrieval Run.
  3. Thinking next move may be remove Sneakdoor Beta for Blackmail? 17 influence is almost too much to play with! :smile:

Pad Kenpaign v0.52

Event (27)
1x Early Bird (Honor and Profit)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Lawyer Up (True Colors)
1x Retrieval Run (Future Proof) ••
1x Stimhack (Core Set) •
1x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set) ••

Hardware (10)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••
3x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (1)

Icebreaker (7)
2x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
1x Passport (Honor and Profit)
1x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) ••

Program (1)
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)

46 cards (min 45)

1 Like

If you aren’t going for Doppleganger/Noteriety or Quest Completed, I would say drop Early Bird.

I do like Lawyer Up with John! Never thought of that.

If you can find the influence, Indexing is really, really good. Escher is alright if you want to run most central breakers, but is too influence heavy unless you are packing two or three planned assaults.

Most of these events seem to be run events. I think Special Order, Sure Gamble, Lawyer up, Planned Assault and Levy are the only non run events. Might want to consider Ken’s Public Terminals instead of PADs. I have had such good luck testing Dirty Laundry/Security Testing that I am considering putting in Public Terminals and cutting Sure Gambles. You get pretty amazing returns with Security Testing and Dirty Laundry out of Ken. After all, Ken turns Dirty Laundry effectively into a Sure Gamble, so long as he can complete a run somewhere.

I also agree, you need Lucky Find if you want your PADs to shine.

Glad to see more Ken play. I really like the ID. I feel like he brings a new light to conventional Criminal play.

1 Like
  • Early Bird --> I dropped one in the latest iteration and left one in because it’s sometimes nice for an Archives check with a +2c return (Ken+Desperado). I’m not super attached to it so could see dropping the second to make space.
  • PT v PAD --> It’s only a 1c difference between PT and PAD, and being able to pay 1/2/3/ less for a Sure Gamble is very nice.
  • Will need to reconsider over Security Testing. I’m not sure if I want to squeeze in Lucky Find or not since thus far I haven’t been hurting for creds. Maybe a second Kate and save the influence.

As always, feedback appreciated!

Made some more changes, tightened the deck up a bit. Got in the third Lucky Find. I know I should get rid of Kati but she’s like my safety blanket. :smile:
Cutting out a Faerie and running only 1 Femme feels risky, but we’ll see how it goes. I’m reluctant to run too few breakers because of Power Shutdown. Wondering if I do need 3x Special Order or if I could get away with 2x.

Pad Kenpaign v0.6

Event (28)
1x Forged Activation Orders (Core Set)
1x Indexing (Future Proof) •••
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Lawyer Up (True Colors)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •

Hardware (8)
3x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (3)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
2x Faerie (Future Proof)

46 cards (min 45)

Here is my take on this deck that I posted in the other thread:

Event (26)
1x Hostage (Opening Moves)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••
1x Running Interference (Mala Tempora)

Hardware (8)
3x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (4)
1x John Masanori (Opening Moves)
1x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control) ••
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set) •••
1x Mimic (Core Set) •

45 cards (min 45)

I do have a lingering question: Is Ken any better than Gabe? I think this deck could be worked around a little to free up the 2 influence and add in a pair of Sneakdoor Beta to switch to Gabe. My decklist runs 13 run events so that is 13(15 with SOT) credits assuming you don’t play multiple in a turn and play them all(26-30 with Levy but that seems a stretch). Gabe would earn that in 15 turns, if the game lasts that long. While applying significant Archives pressure with Sneakdoor. Any thoughts?

I’ve thought about the Ken vs Gabe thing before. My preliminary conclusion was that Ken is likely better in the context of a 3x Prepaid / 3x Lucky deck because of his 17 influence. If you go with Gabe then running an event only econ becomes more difficult.

Also, after some more play I’ve realized that 2x Planned Assault is almost essential, even at the cost of going 3x to 2x Legwork. Being able to tutor for the run type I want on that turn or the next - Maker’s Eye, Indexing, etc - without a natural draw is so nice. And then recur as needed with SOT. I’m already looking at my deck for a way to go 3x SOT, maybe even 3x Planned. Removing 1x Emergency Shutdown is a likely candidate for space.

After play testing you’re totally right on Gabe vs Ken. Ken is much better for this deck and, at least for my play style, the Criminal VoicePad variants have been much better than the Shaper versions. I hope Ken takes down a tournament soon.

Here’s where the deck is at now. Swapped out the Plascrete for Crash Space because the Plascrete just hasn’t been a thing I’ve needed. As a resource I can always use those two creds from CS for shedding tags whenever I want and not hold onto Lawyer Up too long, but hitting that Siphon+Lawyer Up combo is sweet. I may still bring back Lawyer up just for the card draw. Thinking of dropping some combination of Emergency Shutdown/Forged Activation Orders.

Event (26)
1x Forged Activation Orders (Core Set)
1x Indexing (Future Proof) •••
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •

Hardware (6)
3x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (6)
2x Crash Space (Core Set)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Alias (Honor and Profit)
1x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Garrote (True Colors)

45 cards (min 45)

Just a minor side-note - if you run Crash Space instead of Carapace, you really need to run at least one Decoy. Otherwise you’re super-vulnerable to anyone who’s actually running more than one SEA Source (and/or has ways of recurring them) - they’re now able to sea/multi-scorch you, spread out over several turns.

I’ve been testing out something pretty similar to this, and I’ve really enjoyed running a singleton Escher in there with 3x Planned Assault. It’s pricy influence-wise, yes, but it can save you so much money on future runs after you rearrange all the corps ICE to your benefit.

How has Alias worked out for you? I’ve had to drop Mimic from my recent build to fit in Indexing and Maker’s Eye leaving me with 3x Faerie, Femme and Alias as my Sentry breakers. I think I will be fine but it does make the Jinteki matchup a little harder.

I tested 2x Planned Assault last night and wasn’t impressed but I am not sure what I’d take out for it. Our builds are becoming more and more similar though, haha.

Alias is just okay, functional, and most importantly in-faction. I would never tutor for it, it’s in the deck so if I draw it naturally it’s great because then I’m not burning Faerie(s) to run HQ/R&D.

Interesting, I was thinking it would be the first thing I tutor for so I can safely hit the centrals and save my Faeries and inefficient Femme for the remotes. I suppose you’re running Garrote though.

I am running Garrote. That said, the breaker suite is the one thing I’ve never felt solid about though. This has actually been my first foray into deckbuilding.

-2 crash space, +1 decoy +1 hostage makes for a more flexible defense against scorch. it’s much more annoying to sea source a second time than it is to scorch a third time. hostage also lets you run a masanori if you want to go that route