[Pālanā Foods] Soylent Red (It's Made of Runners)

I’m absolutely loving Palana so far, but I think anything involving damage is a lost cause unless you’re landing damage as a tax on stuff like Komainu. Taking full advantage of the ability/agroplex and all the resources it gives you feels way better than trying to play around it to any degree. In that same vein I haven’t been impressed with Harvester because it’s basically positional and falls to Yog, which is starting to see more use as people try to be special snowflakes with non-Dumble decks.

I just don’t see what Harvester is for at the moment. Thus far I’d usually rather have Yagura or some other cheap codegate. 1 cost/3 str is a great ratio though.

I disagree about landing damage; I think brain damage is exceptionally valuable with Palana, particularly if you also run snares and harvesters. Forcing the runner to draw up to not die to snare and then need to discard down at the end of their turn means that they’ll deck themselves eventually and any damage you do after they’ve had to draw and discard will be hitting some of their strongest cards.

Harvester is awesome with brain damage and annoying against faust if positioned s the outermost piece of ice. I’m looking into more ways to use it.

I disagree, im rushing, knocking out cards and giving the runner another way to lose is important, which is sort of like supermodernism. Also you can damage away important cards runners didnt think to install. Running low on cards vs jinteki is known to be a bad decision so it also slows runners down.

Also with plex heavy drawing the runner wont always have time to play all their cards and run, they will be discarding some nice to have tools if they want to contest you.

Damage is multipurpose is my point.

1 Like

I mentioned landing damage as a tax is valid. Knocking good cards out is always useful. I just don’t think that setting up a Harvester to fill their hand, then maybe landing a Snare is particularly helpful.

Loving this ID. Seems extremely strong in both theory and testing. Also, I think agroplex looks a lot worse than it is–in testing it is absolutely bonkers. Clicks for corp are worth more than clicks for runner, so the net of 1 draw + 1 cred is well worth it. It massively increases speed and tempo, and the 5 trash cost feels unfair. Also, Marcus has just been batty in testing. He can create massive swings on his own, and paired with caprice can make a server almost invincible. Here’s my list after quite a few iterations (began theory crafting as soon as ID was released) and after incorporating a ton of ideas from diff stimhack posters:

Pālanā Foods: Sustainable Growth (Business First)
Farmville

Agenda (8)

Asset (6)

Upgrade (7)

Operation (12)

Barrier (3)

Code Gate (4)

Sentry (7)

Multi (2)

12 influence spent (max 15-3☆=12)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Business First

Something worth mentioning - Defective Brainchips is 1 influence, Tori Hanzo is the definition of money-hungry, and some solid Brain damage ice is at most 2 inf with Batty in faction.

I ran a brain deck out of Biotech, often found it terrified runners and forced them into any server without an upgrade. The ice suite was quite shit due to how expensive Tori was.

Might be worth visiting. Palana feels like a middle road Greenhouse / RP with the current decks being played, and I’m not sure that’s particularly exciting nor useful.

A common shell was Brainchips, HoK, Tori, Batty, Data Mines/Hokusai’s, and usually Viktor 1.0

1 Like

I was running sweeps week, and put in sublimenal to replace it and free up influence. After testing a bit, I think it might almost be an upgrade! If I had a free slot for econ I’d play a third. The random bursts of clickless drip go a long way to supplementing palana and burst to create a rock steady econ, and the ability to hold cards in hand to pad HQ or pump ashigaru has been great.

Just noticed atman at 4 hurts. -2 rainbow +1 himitsu-bako +1swordsman ?

Sounds good, considering Faust is still a thing.
Or Probably go Wall of Static, since Himitsu matches Enigmas.

I think that the agenda suite is the thing and you got it right. Can be really fast with the draw of the deck. In my experience though, I would go for a second ashigaru, the money are available.

Is the single Food worth it when you have 3 other 3-pointers in the deck?

You get 1 deck slot free for something else and you still need 3 agendas to win. Seems good to me.

Yeah, deck slots are awesome. Fewer agendas also means less flooding which is important you draw so much! There’s a bit of room to fiddle, as NAPD vs Corp Sales Team is fairly close. I’ve also been considering 2GFI 2TFP (change NAPD to corp sales team)?
Since runner essentially needs to score a TFP to win regardless of the spread, dropping to two should make it harder for runner to win (but I’m not sure since the protection ability of TFP means it’s around a 1.5 pointer to runner). Corp Sales Team is pretty solid anyways, and a better agenda spread could make up for the easier to score Team. Anyone still have one of those agenda spread simulations that I remember being used when Vanity Project was released?

I played some more games last night with my deck. Two games I lost and both runners commented how the Agroplex was mostly a win for them as it kept their hand fresh with econ-breakers. I think, the important take away is knowing when to turn the Agroplex off (by installing over it). Once I have the first pad out, that the runner isn’t interested in trashing, I’ll install the second over Agroplex.

1 Like

Are we all in agreement that palana is the nuts?

I feel this is why we seeing polop printed in the next pack, this stuff feels totally unfair

1 Like

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/613403

This is what I"m working with, experimenting with 1x black list over 1x pop up, and swapped a pop up for interrupt.0 for luls, since money is good, I don’t need the pop up. Base build is 2x pop up though. Ice is mostly just trash as you go into high gear with 2 agros late game. Corp sales is nuts when score with plex active. Went 15-4 yesterday ON THE INTERNET LOL. Not bad for a second rev

2 Likes

The non-Snare! version I posted earlier in the thread took me to 1st place at the Stevens Point SC. This deck just poops all over Criminal with Batty, Even had my Agroplex running in the Noise matchup I played which gavee me the tempo and draw I needed to get me my key pieces that much faster to score out.

8 Likes

I was wrong about this ID. It is amazing. The Runner has to draw to win, and when they do you just get tons of bucks. Yeah, they CAN play around it or draw in clumps, but I don’t think you’re unhappy with that. @Sotomatic, you’re right: AMAZEBALLS.

5 Likes

After losing to ETF 4-5 times in a row on jinteki.net I’ve decided that econ IDs are the best for new players to learn with since you can get a lot of early tempo using money to make more money (eg. Rezzing ice that’s protecting your econ assets)

I played your list tonight with just a few minor tweaks and yup, it’s insane. My adjustments were -1 Ichi 1.0, -2 Rainbow, -2 Subliminal Messaging, -2 Enigma, +1 Ashigaru, +1 Eli, +2 Lotus field, +3 Snare.

Ashigaru is so good against Faust, gets around David, and it’s resilient to Parasite and you almost always have money because your filthy effing rich all the time.

I like Lotus field over enigma because it’s not Yoggable and can’t be blown through with parasuckers. It’s always a relevant two card tax for Faust, which will likely be the only breaker in standard Anarch that can get past it.

+1 Eli because it’s Eli. You love having one to start with, 3 makes it easier.

And Snare, because thinning their hand causes big tempo swings and can open up scoring windows while they work to overdraw for a Faust run on your scoring server.

An Assasin+Ashigaru scoring remote is just filthy, and you can easily get a kill with Batty if they throw away their hand with Faust to get through Ashigaru.

This is probably the new Foodcoats. I propose it be named FoodFoods.

1 Like