[Pālanā Foods] Soylent Red (It's Made of Runners)

Thanks!

Cerebral Static was a later include. I was playing -2CS, +1 Rainbow, +1 Crick (for a non-archives server, maximum Batty recursion!) beforehand.

To be honest it only did work for me vs a Hayley build, but that match was my only loss of the day with this deck anyway, so I guess it didn’t do enough work for its slot. There are so few real trashable things in this deck that it’s almost a dead draw against Whizzard.

I would recommend trying out Clones Are Not People for sure. I may actually snipe that idea for an upcoming GNK (unless I choose to bring a Jank deck out). It would be very thematic, considering the latest Jinteki flavours in the Mumbad Cycle.

Rainbow was originally as pure anti silverware tech, but then I started liking it just as a basic gear check (makes Cobra stronger), is reasonably expensive to get through unless they have a full rig (eg. 3 credits for Corroder), costs 2 cards to Faust (the big angle on my deck is that I play cards that tax Faust and D4V1D as much as possible), and at 4 str it is sturdy against Parasite.

If you don’t like Rainbow, I can see cutting them for something like a Crick and an Inazuma (inazuma into Cobra is amazing. Did pretty well in my testing)

First blush reactions from casual game night last night (and my lunchtime jinteki games):

CANP was a workhorse in that cerebral static slot; perfect fit for a rush deck that wants to squeeze the most value out of early score windows. Also great for baiting the runner into fruitless runs on the scoring server, which can open a window when you might not otherwise have gotten one.

my favorite replacement for the rainbows was mother goddess; for one credit more it’s identical with the additional benefit of being an early game playmaker against any deck without faust.

Overall the list is baller and very fun to play. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve played a few games recently where I would have really liked to have CANP handy. Scoring 2x Nisei and then drawing a 3rd is somewhat awkward. I’d love to have had the option to score the 3rd Nisei and then cap it off with CANP to close out the game.

I’ve been running with Fast Track, since my game plan really depends on a very solid remote, so I try to chain Nisei as much as possible. Having a token available has been very useful against criminals in particular.

2 Likes

8th Place, Birmingham Regionals with 120 people!

Porcupine Pālanā - 8th and 21st place Birmingham UK Regionals (120 participants)

Pālanā Foods: Sustainable Growth (Business First)

Agenda (9)
3x Fetal AI (Trace Amount)
2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny)
3x Nisei MK II (Core Set)
1x Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit)

Asset (8)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
2x Shock! (True Colors)
3x Snare! (Core Set)

Upgrade (7)
3x Caprice Nisei (Double Time)
1x Crisium Grid (First Contact)
3x Marcus Batty (The Underway)

Operation (8)
2x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Restructure (Second Thoughts)

Barrier (4)
1x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
2x Wall of Static (Core Set)
1x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (5)
3x Crick (Breaker Bay)
1x Tollbooth (Core Set) [color=#FF8C00]••[/color]
1x Yagura (Fear and Loathing)

Sentry (7)
1x Assassin (Data and Destiny)
1x Cobra (Salsette Island)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
1x Komainu (Honor and Profit)
2x Swordsman (Second Thoughts)

Multi (1)
1x Rainbow (Honor and Profit)
14 influence spent (max 15-1☆=14)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Salsette Island

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

4 Likes

congratulations!

I was watching @Frost_Duty’s game against vinegarymink in the Birmingham Regionals (I believe), and it made me think that you could actually outlast whizz on wyldside. I put this deck together to try that, and I’m like 4-1 with it so far (3-1 v whizz), and it seems to be able to outlast the wyldcakes clock pretty well, but maybe it’s because not playing top tier opponents (a couple of the whizz players seemed pretty strong though). I’m still testing, it’s just exhausting playing such long games, so I thought I’d post first and get comments. Does this seem like a viable strategy at all? I just play econ, install something a turn, and click for creds all game basically…and then batty away faust to stall.

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/35579/palana-control

Palana Control

Agenda (8)
1x Corporate Sales Team (Business First)
1x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) [color=#708090]•[/color]
3x The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit)

Asset (4)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) [color=#FF8C00]•••[/color]
1x Snare! (Core Set)

Upgrade (8)
1x Crisium Grid (First Contact) [color=#006400]•[/color]
1x Cyberdex Virus Suite (Order and Chaos)

Operation (11)
3x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Interns (Mala Tempora)

Barrier (5)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) [color=#8A2BE2]☆☆☆ •••[/color]

Code Gate (6)
2x Crick (Breaker Bay)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
2x Lotus Field i[/i]

Sentry (7)
2x Assassin (Data and Destiny)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set) [color=#8A2BE2]••••[/color]
3x Komainu (Honor and Profit)
12 influence spent (max 15-3☆=12)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Business First

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

I had some success at the Zurich Regionals with this Palana:

Agenda (9)
3x Corporate Sales Team (Business First)
2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) ••
1x Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit)

Asset (3)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (12)
1x Crisium Grid (First Contact) •
1x Corporate Troubleshooter (Core Set) •
1x Cyberdex Virus Suite (Order and Chaos)
3x Hokusai Grid (Humanity’s Shadow)

Operation (9)
2x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves)
1x “Clones are not People” (Democracy and Dogma)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)

Barrier (3)
1x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) •

Code Gate (6)
1x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••
1x Yagura (Fear and Loathing)
3x Crick (Breaker Bay)
1x Lotus Field (Upstalk)

Sentry (7)
1x Rainbow (Honor and Profit)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set) ••••
1x Cobra (Salsette Island)
1x Assassin (Data and Destiny)
1x Swordsman (Second Thoughts)
1x Komainu (Honor and Profit)

14 influence spent (maximum 15)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Salsette Island

What I would like to discuss is the combination of Crick+Hokusai which did a lot of work for me. When installed, this tiny ICE has to be respected all the time and taxes heavyly if the runner does not want an infinite recursion of Batty/Caprice/Hokusai.

I think Hokusai is much better in glacier Palana than Snare because it does damage and needs 4c to trash. Very often, runners take the Snare and draw up and then the effect is gone. Hokusai has a longer effect.

Against Jinteki, almost no opponent starts running without a killer. Corporate Troubleshooter helps to get Swordsman to 4 against Mimic, Ichi to 5 against Atman4 and so on. Palana has the cash to pay this guy.

This Palana is more of a program shooter. Batty and Assassin/Cobra/Ichi often snipe killers/decoders and Hokusai is annoying enough to be taken care of.

5 Likes

Have anyone tried playing Improved Protein Source in Palana? I know it’s not GFI or TFP but I’m curious to what others think about the agenda in conjunction with the ID and possibly Palana Agroplex.

I don’t see what advantages it has over TFP other than saving me a dollar and a click when advancing it out, assuming I want to play real 3-pointers. I mean, I realize you said you know it’s not TFP, but TFP does still exist, so…

I guess one kinda of advantage is that you can make it look like a 4/2 and not a 5/3, but that goes away as soon as anyone knows that you’re playing it in your deck. Then it’s just a huge liability that gives the runner a shot of tempo in the arm whenever anyone scores it.

I don’t really see what synergies the ID or Agroplex would have with it? I guess both Agroplex and the ID create tempo for you, but I usually like to hang on to that tempo rather than ceding it to the runner by playing an agenda that gives it back.

Not trying to shit on the idea, though! Why were you thinking of it’s inclusion? Did you have some reason you wanted it in the deck?

You’ll want to play that agenda in conjunction with Jeeves and politucal dealings. Or use it to rush to victory in biotech.

1 Like

you can also IA to a 4 point score with clones aren’t dudes.

4 Likes

That’s intriguing. Problem is, is 4 points that much better than 3? If you’re playing 2 pointers it’s pretty much the same. Maybe there’s a possible all-in rush deck that plays clone retirement and trick of light alongside ips for a surprise score out? Probably too janky to work, but might be fun to play around with.

1 Like

Its pretty much the same in palana at least to Never advance a better 5/3 and then AAA AA clones for the same result. This is because the majority of palana agenda suites telegraph that an agenda is in the remote so a never advance install it just looks like a batty or caprice install.

1 Like

I considered Imp Proteins in my janky Team Jeeves Palana NA build, but Corporate Sales Team is Too Gud, and I need the 4 3/2 agendas to suitably threaten NA even if they trash Jeeves.

To be honest I was trying to find an alternative to Palana Glacier. I’ve played the ID and the glacier archtype since it came out both at two SC and a Regional. I heard in a interview with Damon Stone that he built a deck that forced feed the runner cards and tried to analysis the current card pool to see what this deck might have included. I figured it probably ran Palana Agroplex but I have no idea how it would possible win. Kill threat? Fast Advance? No Advance tactics? Mill?!? I figured I ask the community. Maybe Glacier is the only competitive build for the ID.

I think Improved Protein Source makes the most sense in a rushy build that focuses on gear checking rather than taxing credits. The synergy with “Clones are not People” is pretty strong. But I’m not sure if this would constitute a completely different “archetype” for you; many Palana “glacier” decks are already halfway to being rush decks, so IPS just pushes the deck farther along that spectrum.

Either way, Palana is so versatile and powerful that there are absolutely many competitive builds available. Keep experimenting!

2 Likes

I built a gear check Palana Rush deck for this week’s LGS meet up. Granted it’s BB45, but I think it seems viable. Agenda suite is 3 IPS 3 Corporate Team 3 Breakthrough. I’ll report back after I play it.

I feel like IPS is strictly for flip Jinteki to rush out that 3 points and put the game on match point that much faster. Its still not great lol

YAAAASSSSSS
for real though: IPS, like so many cards, is super fun and pretty good in bb45

3 Likes

I think it’s a very reasonable and well-designed agenda. Think about it. Would Weyland Rush play this agenda? I think the answer is a resounding yes, despite the anti-synergy with the Scorch back-up plan. With no such back-up plan in Jinteki rush, I see no reason to not play this agenda in gearcheck Jinteki. You’re probably already playing a MRF or 2.