Playing the High Stakes Game with Personal Evolution

Shit man I hope you are the only one who came up with that,now every red ID seems like DEFCON 2 to me

the problem is that runner econ is way more robust now and more people are playing counters to RP econ, so winning traces is a tall order most of the time. On top of that, you can be damn sure people are installing film critic against you. TLDR; I would definitely not worry about punitive RP, it was never very good and now itā€™s definitely garbage.

This. Sorry. Maybe after SCs.

The beauty of Bio is that they donā€™t know what to expect. Rush? Damage? PE is usually single minded.

Both? yeah. both.I look forward to hearing about how it goes, for good or ill.

Show me your list and let me see that little Vanity Project sneak outā€¦

Good read. Very little to no tech against PE in Pittsburgh and many players that play the same style and have the same tendencies game after game has really helped level the playing field against better players that I see often at tournaments. I really think if you see a guy enough and your playing PE it gives you an edge. Iā€™ll see a guy once and lock in his play style and canā€™t wait to face him again. You do have to switch off PE from time to time at tournaments to give a different look so the same philosophy isnā€™t used against your PE deck. Also to keep the illusion that you might not run it at the next event. With the ultimate goal of Your PE being your spike deck.

The best advice I received when I was new to deckbuilding in Netrunner was: Always build in two ways to win.

There exists, or will exist, tech against any one gameplay strategy for both corps and runners. Every deck needs to have a secondary win condition to play towards in case they get teched against. The ā€˜two waysā€™ may be appear very similar (e.g. scoring out of a glacier server secured by upgrades or scoring out of a glacier server in a window created by tag punishment), but the deck needs to be resilient against losing key pieces or having key plays blocked.

So any kill deck I make is usually also a rush deck.

Took this general build to a Store Champ yesterday and took 5th. My runner deck was DLR Val. This was pre MWL so this deck took down a Quetz, Pre-paid Kate, and a Leela all by flatline. What it wound up loosing to was a Minh Maxx. It lost HARD to that deck 2nd round of swiss and that same player/deck knocked me out in rnd 3 of finals. An opponent that strong with a deck designed to keep you at 0 creds will negate all of this deckā€™s tricks. My main suggestion if you go with this would be to add better defense vs. early siphon aggression. 1 Crisium was not enough.

What Jinteki kill decks would be most resistant to econ denial and Anarch bullshit in general then? Getting siphoned/vamped is really really bad for these decks, and they donā€™t really like IHW, Keyhole, plus Imp and friends are nasty vs IG.

I donā€™t know about whole decks, but in terms of cards one of my favourites in the right type of Jinteki deck is importing a playset of Checkpoint. Nothing quite says ā€œNone of your central run bulls&%$ please!ā€ like Checkpoint does. Yes you have to account for itā€™s downsides (bad pub, possibility to simply pay the trace) but these are often things that a Jinteki kill deck cares about less than others.

i play only on Jintekin.net mostly but Sealed Vault is beautiful vs the matchup

Is there a reason for Vault over Crisium? Vault gives you more bluffing opportunities but Crisium also helps against Eater/Apoc

Iā€™ve been preferring Vault as of late. Itā€™s free, it usually wastes more of the runnerā€™s clicks, and you can still grab your money from it if you suspect Apoc. If theyā€™re on their third central run you probably know whatā€™s coming.

1 Like

Well Crisium can (sometimes) shut down the apocalypse, although Iā€™ve been mostly playing Jinteki kill out of IG so Apoc is pretty ruinous.

I went away from crisium (or Vault) in my latest iteration:

It was to fit in dual Eliā€™s again, which is just so much better than Markus. My thinking with this is that Profiteering is there to save from siphon. If you suspect it you should score one early.

Certain matchups (Eater/Keyhole especially) is just too damn hard to counter with a deck like this, you can learn to play agaisnt them to a certain extent (rush kill, rush score) but every counter-card costs efficiency in other mathcups.

This decks greatest strength is that it comes like a glass-cannon unexpected uppercut into the T1 players and playstyles, and i think there is a case to be made to just give up a few matches and win the rest.

Just had my first tournament loss with the deck (against eater/keyhole), did not stop me from winning the SC :wink:

3 Likes

Has this thread become a general purpose PE archetypes one or just for discussing the Profiteering-Punitive Counterstrike one? Iā€™m kind of looking to bounce some ideas around about what modern PE looks like but Iā€™m not interested in the Punitive build particularly, thereā€™s far too much Plascrete and runner econ around for me to have confidence in the game plan.

I am also curious about general PE discussion. Iā€™ve played HB and NBN for a long while, but would like to bring my Jinteki game to the next level.

Iā€™ve made a PE deck that wins ~70% of its games on jinteki.net, which makes me think the deck is probably ok, but not great. Iā€™m curious about some general strategies people use with PE to win.

A few things Iā€™ve tried:
Installing a mix of agendas and traps in open remotes and scoring agendas as bluffed as failed traps, or as never advance, but scoring as soon as they are fully advanced.
Using mostly advancable traps, install and advance a mix of agendas and traps to 3-5 (often with Mushin) and leave fully-advanced agendas (TFP, Fetal AI, Philotic) until Iā€™m ready to flatline the runner.

Iā€™m just trying to figure out a good way to play. I only started with the second idea when I realized that Philotic could land 4 net damage by itself, making the agenda score damage worryingly powerful.

Sounds good, looking forward to some general PE discussions! Will share some thoughts tomorrow, right now: sleep =)

The usual disclaimer about Jinteki.net win percentages applies doubly for PE I think: people are much more willing to be reckless and run Mushinā€™d remotes during casual online play, Iā€™ve found. Still, 70% is nothing shabby :smile:

Your general play style sounds right. A mixture of traps, never advance, advanced cards, Mushins. Whatever you can do to get an angle to flatline the runner. I do particularly like leaving fully advanced agendas on the board since itā€™s something many people forget and functions as a clickless Neural EMP. That can screw up peopleā€™s survival expectations (ā€œOK, I need four cards in hand to survive Neural + Roninā€¦ā€).

How much and what ICE are people running these days? In the pre-MWL glory days, I felt 3x Eli was a fine investment because their porous but taxing nature bought you time in the early game. With all the rampant ICE destruction these days though, I basically just look to force a couple installs and then never rez anything. Iā€™ve sat at around 10 ICE most of the time but Iā€™m considering going far lower, like

• 2 Himitsu-Bako
  • 1 Lotus Field
  • 1 Yagura
  • 2 Komainu

or similar.