Post-Muertos Apocalypse - A Geist Primer

I recently stumbled upon the awesome discovery, that Muertos Gang Member must be awesome in Apex, because you troll the Corp, and after Apocalypse Muertos don’t have a drawback but fuel your endless hunger. However. That is not a Virtual Resource. Meh.

So I was telling that anecdote to a good friend, and at the same time we realized that while not in Apex, that trolling might very very well work in Geist. The drawback of Apocalypse, mainly that your Boardstate gets killed, does not really apply to Geist because he will trash all the things (or at least most of them before firing Apocalypse. Also, Crims are the best at getting in (Inside Job etc.) and Muertos is infaction. A plan was born.

Here is the decklist:

Post-Muertos Apocalypse

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord

Event (18)
3x Account Siphon
2x Apocalypse ••••• •
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Fisk Investment Seminar
2x Inside Job
2x Legwork
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
3x Forger

Resource (6)
3x Muertos Gang Member
3x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (11)
3x Crowbar
2x Overmind
3x Shiv
3x Spike

Program (4)
3x Crescentus
1x Medium •••

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

The game plan is rather simple. Run early, run often. Punish the Corp for rezzing ICE with Muertos Gang Members and Crescentus. Overmind + Siphon is great. Wait until you draw Apocalypse.
APOCALYPSE! Before you play it, trash Muertos and all the other things you are legally allowed to trash, then Apocalypse. With your very liquid Boardstate, you hardly have any drawback from Apocalypse, while the Corp is pretty much fucked. With all your draw you are likely to punish now brutally. Medium. Legwork. Dirty Laundries. Crescentus. Trolling hard. Notable interaction: Fisk Investment Seminar plus Medium. MOAR NEW CARDS you access. You play two Apocalypse, so rinse and repeat.

Give some props to the original decklist:

5 Likes

Love it. 100% going to try this out at some point. I need a second runner deck to play to mix things up and this seems perfect.

2 Likes

Haha, I just completely demolished (literally) a Gargarin…
With all the Geist draw + the disposable breakers + Crim Inside Job Shenanigans,
you will be able to eventually blast up everything. All the while denying eco with crescentus and muertos + siphon. :smiley:

Only other naive thought is that sneak door might be good to deal help get hq access as well as make curtain wall+crisium on hq less oppressive.

How is curtain wall to deal with?

Seems to me like it might be a problem that runner cards get face down instead of trashed, since you have no easy of recovering them here. Do you just put the gas on and intend to win soon after the apocalypse? I could see MGM being helpful there since it would speed you up just when you needed to close it out.

1 Like

Thing is, Geist hardly has anyhing installex. More or less anything has a trash ability. Breakers, Clone Chips, even the Console. Sometimes a Cloud Breaker or two go facedown, but it usually is no big deal.

Still, this deck cannot be considered competitive (yet). It emerged from that weird Apocalypse + Geist thing. It won me a couple games today, but lost just as many. It is surely fun to play and a nice challenge out side your usual way of playing.

1 Like

It happened, that I played against that deck myself yesterday (realizing that in the middle of the match). It was terrible. For me. As Corp.
It’s related to my particular ICE suite being very vulnerable to this deck, but still. The pressure was real.
Fisk Investment Seminar is a pain in the ass, Geist will eventually Siphon you. He will eventually do
an Apocalypse and you can do hardly anything against it.

EDIT for language.

1 Like

I’m curious on what’s your thoughts on adding a one or two of Sneakdoor Beta? Just looking at this deck I can imagine getting locked out of HQ through them double Iceing it, or through use of larger ice must be a death knell for the deck. In addition, how does the deck deal with some of the more ice heavy corp decks, generally from my experience HB? Still despite those reservations and thoughts, it’s a really interesting deck that looks like it could ruin some peoples day.

Isn’t Fisk Investment Sminar kinda bad once you triggered the Apocalypse? It will give the corp access to more cards that might help to stabilize them again. Why no LARLA, it seems that you will need quite quickly?

Yeah, Sneakdoor would’ve been extremely awesome plus it makes being able to start the apocalypse easier, even though it’d hurt to lose it afterwards. But well, it’s the apocalypse.

Concerning FIS: You don’t want to play it after the Apocalypse, you’re right about that. But it helps you get the tools you need to trigger Apocalypse plus, and I think that is important, it forces the Corp to discard cards. Often, that will be ICE as he will not anticipate what is going to happen to him.
LARLA was in the deck, but it didnt feel right. You definitely need 2 Apocalypse and 3 Clone Chips,
so you might get rid off the Medium.

I played it (2 apoc, medium, 3 clones), , and definitely wanted the larla, and possibly a pawnshop to eat everything that stayed in play.

Was very very fun. No way I take this to a tournament though.

1 Like

So -1 Medium -1 CC +1 Aesops +1 Larla? Aesops seems weird. You hardly have anything to eat away.
And yeah, certainly not a tournament deck :wink: Just for teh lulz.

The theory is that post apoc, you have a bunch of face down cards that would be consumable to get them back for levvy

Rather annoying that Uninstall doesn’t work post apocalypse. That would have been a nice way to salvage a key card which was turned face down.

1 Like

Chop Bot maybe? Cheap to install, 1 inf only. Can also remove tags after siphon and empty
Overminds. The cards you usually lose to apocalypse are your breakers, which is annoying.
So you might be able to play around that by anticpating which breakers to use and such.

So I’ve been toying some more. I felt 3 Muertos is too much, plus I took the advice and put in Levy.
Replaced Medium with it, so I included Makers Eye for R&D attack. Works well with SOT. Also,
+2 Sneakdoor. Here is the current list. Still fun to play :wink:

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord

Event (20)
3x Account Siphon
2x Apocalypse ••••• •
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Fisk Investment Seminar
3x Inside Job
1x Legwork
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
3x Sure Gamble
1x The Maker’s Eye ••