Pyrrhic Argus - Undefeated through two store championships

I think the issue is most people don’t see Forked or Cujo at all, I know I haven’t.

Cujo’s been gaining a lot of steam around here lately. I’ve been using it in every Anarch deck I’ve made lately, as it’s basically an influence-free Faerie.

Forked is less likely, but a lot of MaxX decks seem to run one just in case. What would you replace the Rainbows with, and why?

No doubt. I believe we’ve hit a point in the game’s lifespan where it’s time to revisit old ‘binder fodder’ (for those fogies who still use binders), esp. when new IDs arrive.

7 Likes

Yeah, I need to get rid of this damn binder.

3 Likes

88+ clicks on Invasion of Privacy

I laughed harder than I should have. I’m sure you get the same feeling when someone looks at the card after you play it.

I certainly do for Snatch n Grab. The era of Kati is here (again), folks.

Funny you should mention that, because I’ve actually put serious thought into making room for a Snatch and Grab in this deck. I’ve held off so far because Kati hasn’t caused me too many issues yet. I think it’s because scoring False Lead makes the fact that she requires a click to unload a bit unwieldy.

What, using a binder is for fogies? I’m not denying the fogey tag, but…

What am I supposed to be using instead of binders? :worried:

Five words: Oh Cee Tee Gee En.

2 Likes

Ah, bleh. Maybe someday, if my group keeps shrinking :disappointed: . Probably inevitable if I want to start getting more than a half dozen games a week in, but nerdrage/asshattery so far has been a deterrent.

I heard some people exclusively play there rather than using it as a way to keep cravings at bay between game nights. They’ve never played Netrunner!

7 Likes

Neat deck, thanks for sharing! I played a handful of games with this deck and I didnt have the same outcomes.

1. I seemed to always be poor. This goes with my theory that any weyland deck that isn’t Blue sun has economy issues. Also most runners had way more money than me. Yeah, the ice is taxing but you said that you only around rez 4 a game and Im assuming they are not on the same server. well that means that a typical server will tax the runner for 2-4 a run. Add the bad pub and its not really that taxing. Data Ravan is really the only tax here cause they cant use the Bad Pub.

2. There was only one game where I was in a situation to play invasion of privacy and I didn’t even have enough money to make it worth it. The runner just beat the trace.

3. This deck can really clog your hand. You dont want to discard your SEs or combo cards and sometimes you cant score your agendas. This leaves you making some really tough discard decisions at the end of a lot of turns. And Jackson can only help you if he is installed.

4. In 4 out of the 5 games I played (all lost) I scored a false leads really early. I was never able to use this to win like you mentioned. This was mainly because the deck is so dependent on the combo pieces. and having the money all at the right time.

5. Never once did I feel I could play a punitive. Those just clogged my hand real bad all game. They require so much money and The runner is really only scoring 1 or 2 points a turn.

I think this deck could be a lot of fun but it must be really tricky to pilot. Can you elaborate some more on piloting this deck? Specifically the economy issue.

8 Likes

Definitely not a card you want to play if you’re going to lose the trace. Unless… you had 3 Ireress on R&D?

Agreed, the situation I was in was the following;
-I had 2 SE in hand, Invasion of privac, Atlas and something else.
-I knew the runer had a copy of “I’ve had worse”
-Myself and the runner had about 12 credits.
-I was at the point in the game where the runner was pretty much set up and from that point forward I would never have more money than the runner again.

My thinking was play the invasion now and maybe he takes the bate and i can catch him with the 2 SE’s another turn. If not than he will control the rest of the game.

I found that playing this deck feels like playing netrunner around the first year the game came out. The corp is in control until the runner’s rig is up and then the runner is in control for the rest of the game.

The only outs this deck has are catching a runner off guard with an archer or a false leads. Good players arent going to be caught off guard by a false leads without protection and this deck just doesnt have the economy and tricks to get around a good runner.

That being said, I’d love to see some videos or something with this deck cause in theory, it looks like a ton of fun to play.

1 Like

I tried a few games with it, and it’s just like every other weyland deck, it only beats people who have no idea what they’re doing. You had the same issues I did, you only win by having a data raven on a remote and scoring a false lead, and getting lucky on centrals all in the same game. The trace cards will never fire except maybe the first or second turn, since there is no way to score a 5/3 in here to actually get money rolling in.

7 Likes

Yes, this is a tricky deck to pilot. I played it and evolved it during 6 different store championships (and all the other random smaller tournaments between), and I didn’t really start winning many games with it until the 3rd store championship. The 4th was great, but for losing a few games to IHW. It didn’t lose any games at all during the 5th or 6th.

Economy is the hardest part of this deck. I’d suggest replacing Government Contracts with High-Risk Investment, which was an excellent suggestion for a change I’m absolutely making after thinking about it last night. Score a False Lead and you can throw down a 3-pointer behind a Data Raven. You’re almost guaranteed a Punitive flatline if they steal it unless they have an absurd credit lead or a Plascrete installed, because they will always take the 2 damage.

I can’t say for sure with such limited knowledge of the game state, but I would probably have installed and single-advanced the Atlas. If they steal it, you Invasion into a single Scorch for the flatline. If they don’t, you get an Atlas counter.

You can’t invasion into scorch without a significant credit lead, which he didn’t have then, and would never have again.

1 Like

They were tied on credits. If the runner actually ran and stole the Atlas, they’d have to pay money.

I have to go to class in a minute here, but later today I’ll go over some strategy with it. I think a lot of people aren’t quite realizing how best to leverage the Argus ID ability yet. For instance, Punitive means you can toss a few agendas in archives early and not waste Jacksons on them until after the runner’s scored from elsewhere.

Still only works if the runner wasnt on 5 cards. If they have 5. I remove the i’ve had worse then can only do 4 damage. not enough to kill. And thats only if they dont gain money in addition to stealing the Atlas.

1 Like

I was wondering if you could use [Snoop][1] instead of [Invasion of Privacy][2]. It would serve multiple purposes. It shows the runners hand, providing information (e.g., you’d know if they have I’ve had worse). The trace is a bit higher and more constant - you can use it multiple times. Plus, you can use it the same turn when you scorch.
[1]: snoop · NetrunnerDB
[2]: Invasion of Privacy · NetrunnerDB

1 Like

That’s actually what I had in here before Invasion of Privacy, and it was super unreliable. Invasion hasn’t failed me yet, and unless their grip is nothing but programs and hardware, you should only need one Scorch.