Red Sand Cycle: We're finally going to Mars!

I don’t see a point in being so negative about any card just because it is green. The new ID and upgrade offer some interesting possibilities to leverage a popular 2/1 agenda to score 5/3 agendas that have promising abilities, but are difficult to score.

Yes, both support advancable ICE as well, which has historically been an ineffective and underpowered category of server defense, but there is now an opportunity to place, potentially many, advancement tokens onto a piece of ICE unexpectedly.

The cost of powering these abilities is large, but the effects are very powerful, and potentially offer new strategies and win conditions.

I know the ‘Weyland is bad’ circlejerk is a popular one, but I’d prefer to encourage a discussion of new strategies over shitposting.

22 Likes

Who knows, maybe there’ll be some agendas as support for the new ID that are worth more points when forfeited?

Like, say, a 3/1 that’s worth 2 or 3 points when forfeited.

I can’t wait for January now. CHOO CHOO GOES THE HYPE TRAIN

1 Like

My intention wasn’t to shitpost, and you raise some fair points. My post was half serious in that my initial impression of the ID was being underwhelmed. I didn’t intend to be negative solely because it’s a Weyland card - I really want Weyland to be fuckingawesome - but Weyland does bear the weight of its past. So yes, personally, I was ‘meh’ when I read the ID. If it turns out to be fuckingawesome then I will be legitimately thrilled.

4 Likes

This isn’t about “green cards”. I think it’s kind of a bad ability. I don’t think I would find impressive in yellow either.

Re: Warroid Tracker:

TENNO SCOOM

…ahem, it, uh, looks like a nice counter to PolOp.

Given the current cardpool? Probably not that inspiring. Given the knowns in the announcements? Sure, so so.

But this ID has 15 influence. It can pack either San-San or Biotic. Both let you score a 5/3 from hand when comboed with the fast advancey thing.

I am excited to see if this archetype gets more support! Its certainly more promising for the big W than Mumbad Construction Co.

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems like Jemison might have some FA potential. Even without importing Biotics and SanSans, with a Mumbad Construction Co in a server, you can forfeit a Hostile on the runner’s turn to put 2 counters on it, gaining a 3rd on your turn. This is now enough to FA out a Hollywood or a Casting Call’d other 5/3. This is still expensive as shit and runs the risk of running 5/3s (but Food is still a thing, I suppose), but it’s a thing the ID can do. This feels like a “I need to know what the rest of the card pool looks like first” kinda thing, which usually means it’s probably a weak identity if it’s not already kind of good out of the gate. Who knows, though, with a couple good cards it could be fairly powerful.

It’s interesting that you can ramp up the agendas you can FA if you can find ways to sac agendas on your own turn. Install a 4/2, sac a Hostile to put 2 tokens on it, AA to score it. Install a 5/3, sac the 4/2 to put 3 tokens on it, AA, score the 5/3. Each time you’re only going up 1 point, though, which is kinda weak. It’s obviously not how you want to score all your points, but it’s a way to score a few, and Weyland usually has issues scoring it’s last agenda. This might be a way to do that?

I dunno. ID seems weird, but there might be something there.

1 Like

By the way, this is the pack that will bring rotation with it, right?

Nope, cycle #8 is the first of rotation. The cycle after Red Sands.

2 Likes

It’s an ID that lets you use a 3 card combo to score 2 points… I’ll just stick to Sansan or Biotic and play a better ID if that’s the offer.

I’m glad there doesn’t seem to be any crazy powercreep stuff here, but this pack is lookin extra janky

5 Likes

If you have a Corporate Town, you can never advance a 5/3

Zed 2 looks good. Using clicks to break the first two subs means the third one would give you brain damage, so it will almost always trash a hardware when face checked. Costs 3 and a sucker token to break, too.

MCA Informant is decent, though we don’t know the cost. You’re basically just giving the runner a tag, which they have to trash the resource you chose as an additional cost to remove it.

Network Exchange is hard to read, but looks like it might increase the install costs of ice that aren’t in the innermost position on a server?

I think everybody is missing the pseudo 24/7 combo we can do with the new ID, the only set up we need are 6 credits and a 2+ agenda scored (not to hard)
1 Install Posted bounty

• Forfeit a 2+ agenda to put 3+ adv counters on Posted Bounty, score and forfeit to tag the runner
    2 Scorched
    3 Scorched
13 Likes

Oberth protocol is an amazing flavour win (dipping into a gravity well to gain momentum later :: giving up an agenda to gain more later!) but like so many goddamn weyland cards before it with 2 trash in the bad pub faction it’ll just get trashed in R&D before you get to use it.

Jemison might be good if we get more on demand forfeits and something on a higher power level than public support to generate pseudo-agendas. Giving up a public support to score a 4/2 seems okay. Giving up a 0-point agenda to get a 3/2 scored seems okay as well.

Probably not though - synergy IDs tend to work when they make a 2-card combo into a 1-card combo (I.e. CtM provides the tagging so rather than tagging+punishment you just need the ID+punishment). Jemison is still 2-cards (agenda + forfeit effect).

3 Likes

You still need something that will let you forfeit an agenda. But that’s pretty cool

like the new Wayland ID? :wink:

or did I missed something else?

The ID doesn’t let you forfeit one, it just triggers when you do. The new upgrade will let you forfeit, but if you need it to be clickless then it needs to survive a turn on the table.

2 Likes

Zed will actually not fire its third sub if you broke the other two, it will only fire on subsequent ICE.

are you saying that if you used clicks to break the first two subs, the third wouldn’t fire?

because that’s incorrect.

in fact, it triggers regardless, even if the runner didn’t use any clicks because it’s still a subroutine. there’s no conditional text of whether or not the subroutine exists, just what it does, so if the runner spends clicks to break the first two subs and ignores the third, by the time subroutines fire, they’ve spent clicks to break subs and will definitely have to worry about taking 2 brain damage

if they don’t, it still fires, doesn’t do any brain damage, but could trigger some other effect from subroutines firing

Only 2 and a sucker to break actually, you can ignore the 3rd sub if you broke the first two without spending clicks, unless you spent clicks earlier in the run.

Reduce Your Agenda Density Using This One Weird Trick!

You can turn a 5/3 into a Vanity Project if you have an Oberth in hand (doesn’t need to be installed in advance). You only gain 1 point, but you take four points out of the game.

I like it, but if the current trend in non-meat tag punishment continues, runners will be packing NACH/decoy/forger. boom with bn and 24/7 will probably push the meta to a few well-tested tag avoidance measures.

Plus you need to have something on the board to forfeit so you can fire jemison.

Still cool, I like that there are ways to leverage the ability for something other than vegan FA scoring out.