Refining the Process: Twins Foundry

Multi-Archer seems legit in The Foundry, too (you can toss Domestic Sleepers to it). “Oh, you have Sharpshooter/D4v1d? That’s cool. Do you have a second?”

2 Likes

“Sure, I’ll etr”

That was my first build, influence on Archer, Merlin, Jackson and Twins. Problem was that Domestic Sleepers isn’t very good and took up space that I needed elsewhere.

IIRC, that was also your problem with them in the Deadcoats build you were working on. I think it’s an interesting card, and I like the fact that it’s an agenda that only helps the corp and not the runner, but overall I’ve felt similarly about most decks that I’ve tried to fit them into.

Yeah, both Sharpshooter and D4V1D will let the runner bounce since they can break everything but the ETR.

Which is cool, because you can score the agenda you were protecting with the Archer and still have the spare Archer in hand for future runs. A tendency to focus on springing the trap, rather than using the trap as a way to score agendas is one of the playstyle traps it is possible to fall into with this deck.

2 Likes

nailed it. As in any HB build, it’s important to focus on generating scoring windows if the runner refuses to play your games.

Did you try any “must trash” assets in your deck, like a Sundew or Melange? Those would give you more options (besides agendas) with which to bait the trap. You do have Adonis, which is good.

Another idea is Shell Corp. Did you try that? Bait that trap with money AND an agenda.

must trash is still a valid idea, but I’m not sure that melange still fits that in all cases. Vs. PPOv Kate or Max, meh…

I’ve tested build with Komainu, it is pretty fun. The main advantage of this concept is that runner doesn’t know that he can easily die while facechecking 1-iced remote with a card installed there.

When runner knows all your threats and plays more accurate - you can bluff all the way, lol. Once I managed to score 2 agendas behind unrezzed Architect, because runner was sure that there was a trap there (Komainu or Merlin + Twins). There are a lot of different ways to bluff. For example, you may install Ash behind 1 ice on HQ and stop runner from facechecking HQ completely unless he’ll find Sentry + Code Gate breakers. Nevertheless, there are 2 big threats - Eater and Inside Job. Stimhacked SMK also can get you in trouble.

As for long game plan - I’d suggest to play with IT Department with Efficiency Committee. If you managed to rush Committee early - you can install and rez IT with 5 counters. Just don’t forget to look at the runner’s amazed face =)

Instant parasite as well. That’s the one that wrecks Komainu for me.

I tried out the IT Department + Efficency Committee plan briefly but I always felt sortof iffy playing IT Department and never really followed it through. My concern with it was making R&D too vulnrable.

The must-trash asset idea is one I played in my Foundry Twins – I went with Eliza’s and Melange. I also had Shell Corp.

I’m convinced based on my experience that moving towards a scoring window approach is better than the kill. I figured the threat of the kill would work to create scoring windows, but my version had too many moving parts, and spent its influence on trying to get the kill rather than the score.

Ryan Burke just won the Store Championship at Petrie’s Family Games in Colorado Springs, CO with Twins Foundry and Quetzal. 21 players, 5 rounds of Swiss, top 8 cut. He went 5-2 w/Foundry over the course of Swiss and double-elim. He said he’s planning on doing a write-up on it, I’ll post a link to his write-up and his decklist here (and on the Tournament Winning Decklists topic) once he does so. :smile:

6 Likes

Stoked to hear from Burke and see his lists.

Nice! I’ve been fairly surprised by the effectiveness of a Twins Foundry list I put together after getting taken by surprise by one on OCTGN :). Excited to see what Ryan’s put together!

Nice. Baby means I’m not going to make any SCs, so glad to hear someone has had some success with the concept.

1 Like

I was surprised to see this deck (or one like it) at my recent SC along with quite a few other foundry decks: a “tower of babel” EBC+NEXT deck and a grail FA/rush deck. I think foundry is really starting to show its strength - it just took a while since EtF tends to suck all the air out of the room when it comes to HB IDs.

The twins deck definitely had the most teeth - came by far the closest to giving my Nasir a loss (as if!) when I butted up against a triple merlin - fortunately careful budgeting and a clone chip->SMC-> deus ex saved my butt, but it definitely rattled me. If he hadn’t ABT’d a 3 pointer into the trash it would have been an uphill slop for game point :smiley:

One of the things I’m most excited about with thus and other decks, is the fact that upgrades seem to be getting played a LOT more than I remember. I mean, obviously you always had Ash, Caprice, Sansan seeing bunches of play, but now you have stuff like BS Off the Grid, Twins Foundry, Clicking Hell, etcetera. Part of me wonders if expose effects might become more worth it again as the runner because of this, but I’m not sure about that, as most expose effects aren’t that great IMO

Still waiting on him to finish writing about it, but here’s this to look over in the meantime. Includes Ryan’s Store Champ Foundry list alongside the tournament stats.

He told me afterwards that the Awakening Centers were wasted deck slots, he got too cute and outside the box on the drive down to the event and he should have played Ash in those slots instead.

Edit: And here’s his comments.

1 Like

I’m confused about his Foundry deck; did he think that Twins worked with Oversight and Bioroid Efficiency?