RP Encrypted Stuff - Based off Striving for Perfection

Glad you liked the original (itself a variant of db0’s Untrashable)! As you mentioned, I think one of the key issues with replacing Tollbooth and Caduceus with Ashigaru and Caduceus is you’re introducing two more 4-strength ICE, making this a bit more vulnerable to Atman decks. I think I’d actually prefer Wall of Thorns over Ashigaru for that reason, and also because the two-net damage mean you could still use it as a taxing ICE on a Central if needed.

Those reservations aside, I’m eager to hear your results testing out the deck! I also have not done too much Enhanced Login Protocol testing myself, as I decided after a few sessions that I preferred Ash, so I’m curious to see how using both works out for you.

1 Like

Yea so I see this deck kill as often as it scores a win, because pretty much all the agendas are a tax. ELP means any IAA card can take an entire turn just to check, add in a Caprice or Ash and that’s 4 clicks right there. But the little ice that actually stops means an agenda can get stolen pretty easy. But what I notice is I want centrals kinda porous because that’s where the traps are, and a remote to be just taxy to make the better use of Ash and Caprice.

I did consider swapping Caduceus for an Architect to try that hotness. Ashigaru is still most likely going to tax even Atman with 5 subroutines, maybe average 4. I also had an option of running 2 Caduceus instead of Tollbooth for Ashigaru, improving my early game ice drops. I think that might be better because this deck is hurt more early than late. Sundews take time to kick in, and without it everything else is moot.

I think Cerebral Static is the right call over enhanced login protocols out of RP, personally. while there is obvious stacking benefits with ELP, I think being able to turn off Noise’s mill merits the include (at least on OCTGN, holy heck, its just a Noise simulator) over ELP, since without shocks and/or shi.kyu in archives, it is potentially a very poor matchup (especially with Hades Shard now, too. Cerebral Static also does work against every runner except Andy, and even the ones that don’t care so much (Kate, CT, Ken), it still is probably an economic trade no WORSE than playing a beanstalk royalties.

I dunno. Jackson does good work in keeping Noise down in my experience, because running for him’ll never be very easy. ELP hurts everyone pretty heavily, I’d much rather go with it myself than attempt to hate out Noise since unless it’s mighty early Kate’ll be just fine (and Andy never gets hurt).

Might try it out to see if it helps with the Whizzard matchup and all, but I’m not too convinced it’ll do better than ELP’s click-tax.

Maybe it’s because I’m used to playing old school RP but I also think Encryption Protocol and Cerebral Static (over ELP) are the right call in RP. The Cerebral Static and Encryption Protocol is such a kick in the nuts to Whizzard too.

Maybe soon we can even sub in Hostile Infrastructure for Encryption Protocol and use that influence for something else? Even more money to pay for Hostile Infrastructure?

I see that. Andy has fallen out of favor as of late from just pure talk. I see more Gabes locally as well, so that’s a good use there as well.

The trade is basically having a 1 or 2 off of Caduceus or ELP. Cad taxes 2 like a pup, but if they just run it as a central it’s a good way to make money as well. My lineup I feel won’t make the money I want when I need it, so something thats more rezzable will always help.

I also just had the thought of replacing a Komainu with a Mamba. On one hand, Komainu has a better chance of killing the runner on a faceplant, and at strength 1 it’s still a tax on their hand. On the other hand, having a Mamba token means Snare Fetal is death on a 5 hand run. Or on the other hand, rarely get to use it.

Just a point of order but Komainu cannot flatline the runner. (excepting wacky cell portal hijinks)

It can setup a scored House of Knives to flatline however.

And a Mamba token is pretty much 1 HoK token. But Inu will die to parasite, or femme, so two would most likely be necessary.

Honestly I think Mamba is a pile. I don’t see in what circumstances the runner is going to face plant into it and it is very costly. What do you hope to get out of it?

On a more constructive note, RP now needs to be aware of stealth decks running switchblade. Their weak point tends to be barriers (BlacKat being the stealth breaker that is most likely to be cut to save on stealth credits) so you might want to give thought to a few more of them.

3 Likes

Well I got Mamba to only fire once against a guy running a bit too aggressive. Just ran someone who was femm early onto an HQ Koma with Gabe.

I still need to figure the pacing for when to start dropping assets. Bank Job was making great use of naked pads. Static should’ve been played earlier.

I think Chimera works somewhat, but only early.

So I think between Caud and Architect. I guess the cost difference is which ones do you want to fire and which ones does the runner want to avoid firing. Architect has it’s strength in being parasite immune and needing to constantly break, but at 4 cost it’s worse early game if they can.

So far I haven’t had a reason to rez my Ashigaru in around 6 games or so. I apparently don’t start trying to score agendas until the sundews start working, Faced one stealth Kit deck which Static helped against. Haven’t faced enough criminals yet, the one I did was wreaking because I didn’t burn my credits for an early femme into a siphon.

I know all of the attention will be on @mediohxcore’s super solid Worlds-winning deck for RP, but I picked up another undefeated GNK small tourny win with Striving for Perfection, making a few changes since the last edition. It’s a fun (for the corp) and very different style!

I’ve added even more Anarch-hate in it, and it’s still very strong against Criminal and Shapers (unless those Shapers are piloted by @DJhedgehog apparently, as his Astrolabe Kate and Power Nap CT can grind out matches against it). Conservatively, I get about an 85% win rate with this at tournaments, from the Store to Regionals/Nationals level, accounting for the past nine months.

Current list (last edition):

Striving for Perfection v3.1

Jinteki: Replicating Perfection (Trace Amount)

Agenda (9)

Asset (15)

Upgrade (4)

Operation (5)

Barrier (1)

Code Gate (5)

Sentry (8)

Other (2)

The changes since the last version are -1 Caduceus, -1 Viper, -1 Ronin, and -2 Snares. I’ve added +1 Architect, +1 Himitsu Bako, +1 Yagura, +1 Reversed Accounts, +1 Interns.

Architect has been putting in a lot of work for me. Even if the Runner has a Mimic, the two-credit tax is nice. Himitsu Bako is mostly for Parasite hate, but it also works for early protection on a Sundew and can be a minor annoyance for Atman. The extra Yagura is one more cheap Ice to act as Parasite-bait, and it’s great to ping a bit of damage if Runners think all they need is a Killer. I’m not sure yet about Reversed accounts versus Ronin, but it’s done a good job so far at either baiting expensive runs on a scoring server or bankrupting Runners – I even had one runner Queen’s Gambit it once, which was delicious and unexpected anti-Anarch tech. Bringing in a third set of Interns is always great. I’ll swap in and out the Snares depending on how aggressive our meta gets with multi-access against Jinteki.

3 Likes

I feel like if you’re going to run that agenda package you might as well play some RSVP. I haven’t given it much of a try because I love Nisei Mk II too much, but I have always imagined that the only way to make RSVP good was in this sort of deck.

4 Likes

Would you consider running this deck with the Upcoming ID Industrial Genomics? Since it does what Encription Protocol does while also affecting the cards on your HQ and R&D? Maybe swapping them for shocks or shi kyus to make that archives run very painfull?

Or the eternal backstabber, Director Haas.

I feel like if you’re going to run that agenda package you might as well play some RSVP. I haven’t given it much of a try because I love Nisei Mk II too much, but I have always imagined that the only way to make RSVP good was in this sort of deck.

I did try RSVPs in initial versions of this many months ago, when the list more closely resembled @db0’s Untrashable list, but I eventually pitched them for more taxing ICE. This was before Honor & Profit and TFP, though, so maybe it’s time to revisit them for tests.

Thinking about it more, though, the Fetal AIs make more sense when the deck is littered with Snares, Shocks, and Hokusai Grids, discouraging multi and repeated accesses. I’ve gotten more flatlines than I can count with this deck (especially when it has a Ronin in it), but it’s worth seeing if a Nisei MK II, less-net-damagey version will work.

Would you consider running this deck with the Upcoming ID Industrial Genomics? Since it does what Encription Protocol does while also affecting the cards on your HQ and R&D? Maybe swapping them for shocks or shi kyus to make that archives run very painfull?

I can’t wait to try out Industrial Genomics, but I feel like that deck requires a very different approach, as it seems less about taxing clicks and credits (and cards, if you’re running heavy on Net Damage), and instead more about trying to make the most out of assets/upgrades that can’t be trashed while protecting face-downs in Archives. Ash and Caprice would still be very strong, but I feel like Industrial Genomics would work better with more ETR ICE, Power Shutdowns, recursion (Architect/Interns/HB operations), and other adaptations.

Or the eternal backstabber, Director Haas.

Director Haas seems like she would be great in Industrial Genomics! At least until someone plays an Imp, which might see even more of surge in use once this ID is out… Which my RP deck won’t like at all.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of such a thing ;D

Pardon the necro. Thought I’d share an update for this deck since it did well at the ChiLo City Grudge Match – top seed after six rounds with 62 players, at the top tables most of the day, one corp loss. And also since @spags and Damon Stone asked about the list/report.

Striving for Perfection v3.3

Jinteki Replicating Perfection
15 influence spent (max 15) •••••••••••••••
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Source

Agenda (9)

3x NAPD Contract
3x Nisei MK II
1x Philotic Entanglement
2x The Future Perfect

Asset (15)

1x Daily Business Show •
3x Encryption Protocol •••
3x Jackson Howard •••
3x Mental Health Clinic
2x PAD Campaign
3x Sundew

Upgrade (3)

1x Ash 2X3ZB9CY ••
2x Caprice Nisei

Operation (4)
2x Cerebral Static
2x Interns

Barrier (3)
2x Eli 1.0 ••
1x Wall of Thorns

Code Gate (6)
1x Inazuma
2x Lotus Field
1x Tollbooth ••
2x Yagura

Sentry (7)
1x Architect ••
2x Komainu
2x Pup
1x Swordsman
1x Tsurugi

Other (2)
2x Excalibur

As you’ll see in this thread’s previous posts, I’ve debated before about Nisei MK IIs versus Fetal AIs because I liked earlier net damage versions of this. I’d been getting killed by Stealth Andys in the last month, though, and switched to Nisei MK IIs so I can rush scoring agendas in that match-up, since that archetype requires a few extra turns of setup time. Also, it’s a decent agenda I guess. :oP

I threw in some barriers for that match-up too (I previously tried to limited the amount of ICE I had that was easy to bounce off of). Other than that, the only notable additions are Excalibur and Daily Business Show, both of which are becoming standard for RP, if they aren’t already standard.

Anyway, here’s a report for the day if anyone cares about how it plays out at a typical tournament. My runner was Medium/Scrubber Andy, and she performed well all day too. Keep in mind that AstroScript Pilot Program was limited to one card per deck at this particular tournament, so there were few NBNs (only three players), and many people came tech’d to play against RP.

Round 1 vs Patrick (Overmind/Keyhole/Modded Kate)

I think Patrick was second place at last year’s Lousville regionals. Early Cerebral Static was a good and annoying extra tax. He caught me by surprise with a Keyhole, and I was Keyholed for six straight clicks, throwing 7 points of agendas in Archives. I tried to draw for a Jackson and a Caprice in vain, but I was able to hold him off for a turn with an Ash and double ICE on archives. I was able to Interns a Jackson, then install a Caprice on R&D. Scored out shortly after behind a Swordsman/Lotus Field server. Won 7-0.

Round 2 vs Rob (Logos/Indexing Leela)

Rob won Chicago’s regionals last year – thankfully I didn’t know this, as I would have been super intimidated and played cautiously if I knew beforehand. I got my econ setup quick, installing a Sundew behind a Lotus Field, then spammed multiple Mental Health Clinics, PAD Campaigns, and Encryption Protocols out before he could start trashing them. Played Cerebral Static right before I started scoring my 2-point agendas. I asked him afterward how his Leela has been performing, and he said it’d been completely kicking ass against decks not playing Cerebral Static. Won 7-0.

Round 3 vs Lucas / @Ravlin (Spinal Modem/Darwin Quetzal)

Lucas was severely slowed down digging for key pieces for our match-up, mainly Mimic (he saw my Swordsman while hitting R&D) and E3 Feedback Implants. His build relied on Spinal Modem and Darwin. I played Cerebral Static just to make him pay an extra two credits for the Elis. Everything was pretty expensive for him to run through, and he was getting single access most of the time, which opened a few scoring windows for me. I scored out in a very expensive secure server. Won 7-0.

Round 4 vs Peter / @FoilFlaws (Stealth Sucker Andy)

Peter plays in my meta (Cincinnati had a VERY strong showing in ChiLo’s top 8), and he knows my deck inside out. Plus a variation of this particular deck had been killing me lately, so this was going to be a real challenge for me, potentially my worst match-up.

A Philotic Entanglement score did a very lucky hit of one net damage to knock out his Yog (typically boosted with Personal Touches), leaving him with just a Passport for his codebreaker. I started scoring behind a Yagura-Lotus Field server he couldn’t get into. He almost won with a last turn access right when time was called, but he missed the Future Perfect psi game. I think I could have won this if I had one more turn before time was called, so I could score an installed Nisei MK II, as I had a Nisei counter saved up. Won 6-5.

Round 5 vs Grayson (Andy?)

My mind started turning to mush here, as I don’t recall Grayson’s runner, but I think it was a solid Andy with traditional breakers. I just know that the asset econ agenda got rolling, I scored two two-pointers quick, then I waited forever to find a three pointer to score, even with Jackson draws and Daily Business Show. John Masanori wrecked his econ (Security Testing/Kati) when he had to jack out of a fourth-click run. Won 7-2.

Round 6 vs Ethan (Stimshop Chaos Theory)

Ethan got a very nice rig up quick, thanks to Stimhacks and an Astrolabe for lots of draw. He also had a Magnum Opus he’d hit for tons of cash to threaten a scoring server. I built a really taxing, Caprice-protect R&D to fend off his 3 Interfaces, and managed to get to four points. Unfortunately those points were from NAPDs and not Nisei MK IIs, as I couldn’t draw them earlier. I install-advance-advanced a Future Perfect for the win since Ethan had almost no credits, but then he Legwork’d HQ, eating Tsurugi and Komainu Damage. I really wished I had Fetal AIs in my hand instead of those Nisei MK IIs I drew too late. Lost 4-7.

Top 8, Round 1 vs Ethan (Stimshop Chaos Theory)

This was a best two out of three round, where the top seed got to pick at the beginning who played corp/runner for the third round if there was a split. I made the mistake of opting to play my Andy versus his RP twice, since he just beat my RP, and I dismantled Ethan’s RP with my Andy in the previous round. I made the dumb mistake of not trusting my corp, and paid for it – seriously, my brain was fried. Someone must have played Cerebral Static on me.

Speaking of, Cerebral Static won my game against his Chaos Theory. Ethan got his Magnum Opus and full rig out quick, but then I played the Current to make him trash something – he chose his Corroder. I scored behind a server with Wall of Thorns and other junk before he could get his Astrolabe and recover the Corroder. Won 7-0.

I then proceeded to lose two very close games with my Andy against his RP. At one point, I accessed a game-winning NAPD with three credits. It was Minh-esque, though in my defense I didn’t have the extra click to credit up. Ethan piloted his RP very well, and was awesome to play against. His deck was very similar to Dan’s, down to the single Wraparound.

Thanks for reading all this! There’s not much for this deck in Order and Chaos, other than Cyberdex Virus Suite.

7 Likes

Yeah I just couldn’t get that mimic, interestingly after this past weekend I have increased the number of mimics I run. Fancy that ^.^