Runaround - The Adam Thread

Now that Adam has a choice of directives, how do people decide which one to drop?

By no means an Adam expert but it generally if they are playing lots of multisub ICE or HB, cut ABR from your starting hand. Generically, running copies of ABR in your deck and installing it later seems to be the trend because its the most disruptive directive but also the most useful later on.

You want to consider cutting Safety First versus:
Weyland on 3x Snare! (hard to confirm and not likely these days)
24/7 News Hour Butchershop
Jinteki Kill of all flavors (especially IG)

Boom decks these days are quite binary and fast in their wincons, so getting 7 hand size ASAP is quite key because one agenda puts you to not-dead. But if you suspect they are playing ‘fair’ Boom/Scorched off of hard SEA or Midseasons, SF is still a good play because its so strong.

2 Likes

TL;DR version: Neutralize All Threats, unless you suspect an early meat kill and need to drop Safety First to start with a 5 card hand size.

Lately, what I’ve been doing most of the time is dropping Neutralize All Threats. Being forced to pay to trash an asset or upgrade can hurt your tempo, especially against asset spam decks.

If you suspect your opponent is going for a big meat damage kill, you might drop Safety First for the larger hand size, but then you need to factor the reduced draw into your play. You definitely want to keep Safety First against Jinteki PE or PU because you need the draw.

If you want old school, HQ pressure Adam, you can drop Find the Truth, but I’ve been finding it very helpful to run unprotected servers and see if there’s an agenda on R&D. Combined with Temujin Contract, you can make it hard for an opponent to get an agenda they can score unless they seriously invest in protecting R&D.

1 Like

Here’s the list I ran at Worlds. I dropped Always Be Running.

6 Likes

@Zeromus did you find overmind to be enough I feel like you would run out of steam?

I never ran out of steam in any of my games. The ones that got close, it was more a matter of running out of money than Overmind counters.

I’m finding cards like Temujin awkward in Adam – when running ABR. It is hard to get full value out of the card because the turn you install it (second click) you can only get 2 runs off it, which means you get 4 net resources for three clicks and a card.

Further complicating its use is that fact that since Adam must trash assets, you can’t just run multiple times at an asset in a naked remote.

The TC keeps showing up in Adam builds, though, so this must be my problem more than the ID or deck.

How do you play Temujin?

Obviously, you can’t rely on a TC/run/run/run (when playing with ABR) like with other decks (at least unless you start without ABR or use Independent Thinking / Dr. Lovegood to take it out of the picture). But Adam is always so short of clicks and credits that giving him 4c for something he has to do anyway is still very helpful.

You don’t necessarily plan to clear the credits in 2 turns, though you can with an undefended Archives or Asset Remote (remember, if you access a card with a trash cost in Archives, NAT is satisfied for the turn). Later in the game I’ll use a TC for a 4 credit refund on a server I want to get into a few times anyway (say, R&D with a stacked Turning Wheel or after I poke an undefended server to Find the Truth), rather than to money up for something.

Of course, I’d like to see what better players have to say on the matter, but that’s what I’ve found to work in the (relatively few) games I’ve played with Adam and TC.

A few thoughts after some games with Adam (my current deck below).

1. That click tax for using ABR is pretty steep, but he does put a lot of pressure on early game. Since you are always running first click, some of the worse face check risks are not present either.

2. Overmind is handy, but it can still be pretty expensive to use with a base zero strength.

3. Of the four directives, I most often find myself letting go of “Find the Truth.” The card draw and multiaccess are just too hard to give up. I have toyed around with following the lead of the top Adam at Worlds and include a copy or two of the directive I intend cut in my actual deck so I can install it manually later.

4. BOOM! is not so scary when your hand size is 11.

5. Glaciers can be really hard to cut through. It makes me wonder if he would be better served running more a traditional breaker suite and just using his ABR ability early game while things are getting set up.

I need a lot more practice with him, but I am learning things about running and how to read the board from playing him.

Adam Dojo

Adam: Compulsive Hacker (Data and Destiny)

Event (12)
3x Career Fair (Breaker Bay) [color=#4169E1]●●●[/color]
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Independent Thinking (Data and Destiny)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]●●●●[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
3x Brain Chip (Data and Destiny)
3x e3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) [color=#4169E1]●●●●● ●[/color]
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (22)
2x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Dr. Lovegood (Data and Destiny)
3x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
1x Film Critic (Old Hollywood) [color=#32CD32]●[/color]
2x Hunting Grounds (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]●●[/color]
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x New Angeles City Hall (Future Proof)
2x Public Sympathy (Cyber Exodus)
2x Scrubber (A Study in Static) [color=#FF4500]●●[/color]
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) [color=#4169E1]●●●●● ●[/color]

Icebreaker (4)
1x Inti (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]●[/color]
3x Overmind (Honor and Profit)
25 influence spent (max 25, available 0)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Blood Money

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

Have you had any trouble playing Scavenge? You have to make sure you have another program in your Grip or Heap in order to play it. And with only 4 programs, I felt it was too risky to test.

So far, no, but I have only played a few games with him. It does mean you don’t discard the second copy when you get it.

I find Overmind gets so easily taxed out that I have to have a way to refill it.

Maybe it’s one of the very few times for Uninstall? Get to save 4 influence, but it takes an extra click + reinstall cost, so maybe not that great.

as someone who’s considered and used both, i very much prever Scavenge. Uninstall is basically Scavenge copies 4-6 (maybe 3 to save on some influence)

I am finding @Zeromus idea of removing ABR from the game but then packing a couple in the deck to be a huge help in the early game. Early on, I don’t want to be spending lots of clicks breaking subroutines on ice, and not having to run means you can focus on getting money and set up for when you do want to start running more.

You do want to run as early as possible, though, because his whole game depends on getting agendas scored with Brain Chip installed. At least, that has been the case in my games. You also want to force the Corp to rez ice.

In my deck above, I had Hunting Grounds to dodge Data Ravens, Toll Booths, Komainus, and similar things. I think that might be too niche a use for that slot. I’m also not finding NACH easy to use, even with Lovegood. I’ve been thinking about picking up Networking as a tag defense instead. I’m also not sure I get enough mileage out of Scrubbers to make them worth the influence and install cost. I guess part of the issue is that my local meta is not heavy on Yellow, which would make both Hunting Ground and Scrubbers more useful.

The Android Netrunner 2.0 (45 cards)

Adam: Compulsive Hacker

Event (12)
3 Career Fair [color=#444f80]●●●[/color]
3 Dirty Laundry
1 “Freedom Through Equality”
1 Injection Attack
1 Stimhack [color=#cf3713]●[/color]
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
3 Brain Chip
2 e3 Feedback Implants [color=#444f80]●●●●[/color]

Resource (23)
1 Aaron Marrón [color=#444f80]●●[/color]
2 Always Be Running
2 Armitage Codebusting
3 Daily Casts
2 Dr. Lovegood
2 Drug Dealer [color=#444f80]●●[/color]
3 Earthrise Hotel
2 Public Sympathy
2 Scrubber [color=#cf3713]●●[/color]
3 Temüjin Contract [color=#444f80]●●●●● ●[/color]
1 The Turning Wheel [color=#000000]●[/color]

Icebreaker (5)
1 GS Sherman M3 [color=#333333]●●[/color]
3 Overmind
1 ZU.13 Key Master [color=#6da045]●●[/color]

Built with [URL=https://meteor.stimhack.com/decks/7oatxrHANB6n447GK]Meteor Decks - Android: Netrunner Deckbuilder

I hybrid Run Sometimes build and one of my own. What do people think? @Seamus @x3r0h0ur

1 Like

Yay, more Adam!

I hadn’t even considered going back to Adam now that Aaron is out. That actually fills a critical gap for him that NACH was usually too fickle to cover. I just wish it were easier to find the influence for a second copy to find him faster.

Why Sherman over Inti or Corroder? They both handle Vanilla and Resistor for a credit cheaper. Have you been running into a lot of the new barriers, or is it more of the HB revival with Elis and Heimdalls?

Its all the next ice that is causing the move to sherman

No E3 makes me sad. Loses a fair amount of aggression. Seems good otherwise, love drugs!

there are 2 e3 in there

Fuck mobile browsers…nice then Im in