SanSan Cycle Spoilers

Film Critic hurts more than just RP, though. Clot’s issue is that one faction doesn’t do FA at all, it’s easy to remove, and the popular deck for another faction is also unaffected.

There is no faction, taken as a whole, that isn’t impacted at all by film critic. HB comes closest but they still run NAPD. It hurts Astrobiotics only slightly, but it does free up money from stealing NAPDs to use for trashing Sansans or whatever else – and since it enables running all day against most Butchershop decks, it makes any uncertainty about what your opponent is doing rather moot.

And while Snatch and Grab or Contract Killer are answers, you can run multiple Film Critics at no penalty. In fact, if R&D lock is your goal, then you do so at an advantage. If you can blow up a Critic with an agenda hosted, great, but if you Snatch and Grab click one and they take the tag with two Critics and a Kati out… do you wanna spend the rest of your turn AND four more credits to kill them both when that means leaving Kati on the table? If you only kill one you’re not in a much better position anyway.

Also, any cute Fetal AI tricks one might’ve been pulling? Also DOA.

Punitive in Weyland is something of a thing, and Midseasons is the more popular splash in comparison to SEA Source due to runner survivability/money. But Critic hoses both of those as well.

Clot hits FA and only FA, there’s no reason to run more than one, and you have a narrow window in which to use it where it can be bluffed away. Film Critic hits multiple archetypes, including two or three of what I can think of as being the Top Five Common Corp Decks, and just requires you not play tag-me.

Splashing one is easy, two is the same as splashing Clot. Anarch decks can probably fit two or three with how much free influence they have, and Criminal decks can probably make room, especially decks that are already running Hostage for any other reason.

1 Like

Midseason is the one that’s going to make me, personally, the saddest. If Film Critic gets played enough, it’ll really take the fun out of the sensie-Haarpsichord-Midseason-PsychoBeale deck I wanted to play. I don’t think Midseason was oppressive enough to warrant neutering this way, but then again such is the way of the game. I’m sure everything will settle down just fine as always, but if I lose my pet Midseason decks I’ll shed a tear :wink:

2 Likes

Old Hollywood grid is going to make nbn glacier a thing, no tears

2 Likes

Quite the opposite over here. Hate that fucking card ever since it came out, because it leads to really binary gameplay (and deckbuilding, actually… at least back when it was everywhere). Also, 7-point Beale in 2 actions is utter and complete bullshit.

6 Likes

Gotta agree with you there (after fixing it for you) :wink:

4 Likes

Actually I disagree with the second part of this statement - the NEH (fastro) decks I see at tournaments do disproportionately well.

The difference between Film Critic and Clot is that Clot basically only nerfs NEH and a couple of ropy HB builds which aren’t much of a threat anyway. Film Critic significantly improves the RP match-up, as well as nullifying decks looking to Midseasons and/or Punitive - which is two of the three other factions for sure, and I’ve even seen Punitive out of HB in the past. Not only that, but it lets Kate get two influence back by un-slotting the Vamp. Throw in the fringe case of saving $4 against NAPD (which is in at least two thirds of decks in my experience) and that makes it significantly more than just a silver bullet, which I will grant you is exactly what Clot is.

It will be interesting to get a ruling on how Film Critic interacts with Fetal AI, TGTBT, Award Bait and Explode-a-Palooza: Do they still fire after the Film Critic hosts them? If not then that makes this card epic.

1 Like

I’m thinking based on the (speculative) language on Film Critic that they won’t, since it’s pretty explicit about them not being installed/accessed anymore. If it’s not being accessed, perhaps that terminates access effects? It’s possible that the effects queue up, I suppose.

Per ANCUR

Whenever you access an agenda, you may host that agenda on Film Critic
(the agenda is no longer being accessed and is uninstalled).

Assuming Film Critic does what we think it does, any other “when accessed” effects would fizzle, as the trigger condition would no longer be valid.

2 Likes

I suspected it was probably the case, but good to have pseudo-confirmation.
Another use for Film Critic that I just thought of is to completely hose Haarpsichord (new NBN ID). All in all Film Critic pretty much destroys 3 out of 4 Corps, only HB are vaguely unscathed by it…

Am I the only one who thinks this card won’t do anything?

Kate has 46 cards sometimes for a reason. I don’t know if you have deck-slots to give away to cards like this. A key difference between this and Clot is that Clot can be pulled the instant you need it in reaction to the corp. Clot can also be discarded until you need it (or just played as a time-walk). This has to be played preemptively. I’m going to laugh every time someone fails to take a TFP early game and then installs this 2 turns later, saving 4 credits on an NAPD for 1 credit (assuming that is the cost), 1 card, and 3 clicks. If you could pull this from your deck and install it as you hit an agenda that would be one thing, but you can’t.

2 Likes

Street peddler

2 Likes

I also don’t think the card will do much in Prepaid Kate. But it will do work in more traditional R&D lock decks, big dig decks, or alt econ decks. These decks will spend the time to grab it as they assemble their rig/power turn. They are also the decks that need to grab any agenda when they see them the most, as they may not have another chance.

The question then is if the meta shifts away from mid-range or glacier decks where these strategies are at their strongest.

2 Likes

Street Paddler

so many people seem to think that Turntable can just swap anything whenever they want.
i feel like no one reads this card.

i also feel like i’m taking crazy pills

6 Likes

Turntable to swap an agenda in their score area with the caprice over rnd is tier one.

Edit: also, turntable to swap sides when you’re losing is clutch.

17 Likes

I like the Turntable in Andromeda, so you can change her to Leela after the first turn.

10 Likes

this exactly why I think turntable is a blue card pretending to be orange. note that it’s also great to turntable desperado into logos before they score, then back again at the start of your turn. also feint-> turntable it into an account siphon mid run is super clutch

7 Likes

Just be sure your opponent doesn’t use marcus batty to resolve turntable on your own turntable, turning it into a spinal modem. Dangerous stuff.

5 Likes

I like turntable for its overthrow table effect.
Loosing the game then pretending you never played is OP !

1 Like

Is there maybe a summary of Old Hollywood’s spoilers somewhere?